Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ATF Roughout Service Shoe

bbc1969

Familiar Face
I ordered a pair of At The Front's roughout service shoe last week, and they arrived today.

I thought I would post some pictures, and make a few comments.

I am really pleased with these boots. The construction seems very well done, and in wearing the boots for a few hours this afternoon, I don't think it will take long to break them in.

I have not seen a pair of the higher priced repros out there such as the BR. But for the price, I think I would be hard pressed to find fault with the ATF boot.

I normally order a 10.5 or 11 and have a wide foot, but with these being built on a "wide last", I followed ATF's suggestion and went with a 10. They fit well, and I even have ample room in the toe area.

The only downside so far is in the area where the tongue is sewed into the side.. it produces a small ridge where the seam is joined, which did put a bit of pressure over the tops of my feet, and bit in a little. Not a deal breaker, and even after an hour or so it was breaking in ok. I don't think this would be an issue with everyone, as every pair of boots I get I have some issue in that area due to the shape of my foot.

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Wore mine all over European battlefields last month. The right one continued to rub on the top at that same place but the left one never did for some reason. I never really had a major problem with them but I did develop a callous where it was rubbing. They certainly are not as comfortable for long hikes as a modern cushioned sole.

cco23i

A-List Customer
I like ATF boots, I have a pair of their garrison boots and use them as my ground crew boot, I kinda cheated as I have my perscription insole and man those things are so nice to wear after awhile I forget they are boots! Now get some snoseal and seal them babies so they will be kinda waterproof. I actually like they way they look after they are sealed, they get that "rough and ready" look to them.

Scott

Davep

One of the Regulars
I'll add to the comments above..

Putting in a ensole makes those babies feel a whole lot better, and puts less wear and discomfort on your feet and heals. Also note once you "dub" your boots the look and color will change, so be prepared.

This is what they will look like after "dubbing"
archive_us_247_small.jpg

Davep

One of the Regulars
A word of caution for those doing a Marine Impression, they had a boot very similar to a roughout boot, call boondockers. The Marines did not dub their boots. They didn't want their boots "seal shut" with dubbing to make them waterproof. They wanted to allow the boots to "breath" so their feet would not sweat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner