Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attaching Morale Patches On Leather Flight Jackets

JimWagner

Practically Family
I was actually born in Norfolk and lived in South Norfolk until just before I started high school. My grandfather worked as a machinist on the NAS. I used to see the Truculant Turtle all the time. It was still there when I was stationed there and there were several other shrink wrapped planes just outside our barracks. The Sea Dart, a jet seaplane, was one. The Pogo vertical take off and landing fighter with counter rotating props to fight torque issues was another. I want to say a Japanese Emily was the other, but I don't trust my memory on that one.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Yes !! I remember the POGO VTOL experimental aircraft. Outside the operations building wasnt it ? God those old aircraft were so interesting. The 50s were so exciting. I was just reading about the experimental Douglass AD2 Skyshark attack aircraft with a 5000 horsepower turbo dual counter rotating prop system that was going to replace the Skyraider. They had trouble with the prop gearing in it. One test I read about had the pilot lose both props and had to dead stick the craft back to base. Boy was he lucky to be in close to the base to due that.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Yeah DEACON , I served too but my military story is nothing compared to pops. I signed up to be a STINGER TAIL GUNNER IN THE B 52 but the school was slammed. I ended up as a LOADMASTER IN C 130s. Still an interesting job though.

HELOs huh ? I call them HELO- HEROs because that was a downed pilots rescue angel from above. Be it on land or at sea ! AMEN to you guys !!!

Could you possibly qualify for the OSPREY ?
Not sure I would want to qualify in the Osprey. To answer your question, no because I am Navy and the V-22 is a USMC aircraft. However, there is serious talk about the V-22 taking over the COD role from the C-2 greyhound.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Yeah DEACON , I served too but my military story is nothing compared to pops. I signed up to be a STINGER TAIL GUNNER IN THE B 52 but the school was slammed. I ended up as a LOADMASTER IN C 130s. Still an interesting job though.

There's no small jobs, man. And sticking my head out the back of a C-130 with nothing but a strap on ain't nothing to sneeze at. ;)

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Replace the COD ? ( carrier on board delivery ? ) What advantage would the OSPREY have over the present aircraft ? Maybe an advantage on a heavy sea pitching deck ? Dont have to catch a wire ?

Deacon211

One Too Many
Replace the COD ? ( carrier on board delivery ? ) What advantage would the OSPREY have over the present aircraft ? Maybe an advantage on a heavy sea pitching deck ? Dont have to catch a wire ?

I'm not sure that the Osprey isn't faster and certainly newer. Those CODs are getting long in the tooth.

The ability to cross deck from a-gear ships to others would be a nice benefit as well. Maybe take some of the jobs off the 46s plate for things it's more suited for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
DEACON, I had one small advantage about that hangin out of the back. Im a seasoned sport skydiver with 863 jumps to my credit. ( Class C license US Parachute Assc.) But that was years ago before I married. Wife said Im a retired jumper now. Do you see that news report last year about the two skydiver planes carrying jumpers that collided in mid air up in Minnesota ? And everybody got out safely ?

LOL ! That was where I learned to jump ! That was my old club. My first Air Force assignment was the 4787th Air Base Support Group at the Duluth International Airport , Minnesota. ( Aerospace Defense Command ) I joined the club to learn the sport. Small world eh ?? Im sure that collision is on you tube if you missed it.

I never did hear how those two pilots managed to hit each other.

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I'm not sure that the Osprey isn't faster and certainly newer. Those CODs are getting long in the tooth.

The ability to cross deck from a-gear ships to others would be a nice benefit as well. Maybe take some of the jobs off the 46s plate for things it's more suited for.

You are exactly right, they are getting old. That is why the V-22 is being looked as a replacement. It has a bigger foot print on the flight deck and doesn't have the payload capacity that the C-2 does, but hey, it's new and shiny.

I am from Minnesota and have spent quite a bit of time up in Duluth. Been to a couple of air shows there when I was growing up. I have friends that live there and I visit them whenever I get a chance when I am home on leave.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
I still have a few friends up in Duluth also. Sadly, BRAC closed the Air Force side of the airport in 1986 and I hear the state is using most of the base as a prison. However, the building I worked at is outside the prison fence. Id like to visit the old base one more time. The flight line had alert huts with F-106s in them. There was also a Minn. Air Natl. Guard base on the far end of the field. They were flying F-101 VooDoo's when I was there.

Fond memories of Duluth. I'll never forget.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
UPDATE:

The tailor outside NAS OCEANA who did such a beautiful job with all the sewing work wanted to use pics of the completed jacket on her web site. This site shows much more detail of the flight jacket project. BTW, the local emblem maker thats also outside the NAS that custom made the squadron and pink panther nose art patch is TIDEWATER EMBLEMS of Virginia Beach. Heres the tailors website below. ENJOY

https://www.facebook.com/eastcoasttailor/

Deacon211

One Too Many
Looks great Steve! And I think your dad's name tag looks perfectly appropriate on that jacket.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Thanks DEACON !!

BTW, the NEPTUNE patch on the front of jacket ( 1945 to 1976 ) is only partially correct. The Neptunes with active squadrons were retired in 76 but the last reserve squadron ( @ NAS NEW ORLEANS ) didnt replace their last P2s until 1978 and a composite squadron ( VC 8 ) @ NAS Roosey Rds PR were still using a couple until 1980 ! The last 2 were sold to CANADA as a display and the other was sent to AMARC in Arizona.

The private fire fighting airborne tankers still use the Neptune today. What a sturdy air frame that Lockheed built. No telling how long they will continue flying ! SALUTE !

Last edited:

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
QUESTION AS FOLLOW UP

Trying to figure out one last add on patch to Dads flight jacket. In 1967, was my dads squadron in Puerto Rico ( VP-18 ) still under FAW 11 or CAW 11 or CVW 11 ? Trying to remain as accurate as possible. Many thanks in advance from the lounge experts. Once I get the straight poop, I can search for the correct patch ! Anyone got a pic of which patch to use ?

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
UPDATE, Dad took a fall while getting out of a car and shattered his hip. Now confined to a wheel chair at a southern Florida nursing home for veterans. Was going to visit him last month but had to delay the trip. My wifes father at 81 years had a stroke and rushed to hospital. Had a massive heart attack in emergency room and could not be saved. He was a 22 year Coast Guard vet and a CPO that taught electronics. ( 1955 to 1977 USCG) RIP

Stand By

One Too Many
Very sad. My condolences and a salute to one who served his country.

I couldn't say it better. My condolences and all my best wishes for your Dad, Steve. That must be a crushing blow ... sending my best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou