Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attaching Morale Patches On Leather Flight Jackets

Deacon211

One Too Many
The jacket came out great Steve! A fitting tribute to your dad.

I knew a lot of guys that didn't get the aircraft or career they had hoped for. I was lucky enough to fly a great plane...but not for anywhere near as long as I would have wished to fly it.

Still, there are no throwaway planes or missions. They may not all be glamorous but every one existed for a reason. Without ASW, the carrier's lifespan would have been about 3 minutes in wartime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
I served in US AIR FORCE aviation from 70 to 80. ( Pop eventually forgave me for that ) I almost went into the NAVY submarine program because my neighbor was a Lt. Cmdr on a sub out of Norfolk. My family lived in Va. Beach at the time ( late 60s ). I was very impressionable as a young teenager and dreamed about some kind of job in military aviation. But my neighbor often told me that a sub career meant quick advancement and you went out 90 days and rotated back to shore for 90 days and so forth.

In 1968 ( I was a junior in HS ) my neighbor had just come back from a sub patrol and was only in his third week of the shore rotation when he received orders to another sub where one of the key officers on board had to depart on emergency leave because his wife was super critical in the hospital. ( didnt know why ) My neighbor apparently was available and I guess he could easily fill the position. My neighbor departed for sea a few days later for the mission. There was an incident some weeks later with the sub and I got pretty shaken over it. My mother was best friends with this officers wife and she often kept her company to console her in any way she could.

My neighbor replaced another officer at the last minute on the USS SCORPION.

To this very day, I pledge my respect and admiration to our silent service. THEY CARRY CANNON BALLS IN THEIR CROUCH'S ! SALUTE !

Ive never chatted with a finer bunch in the LOUNGE . You guys are the greatest !

Last edited:

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
My dad is 88 years old now and Im dreading that phone call informing me that he's departed on his last ' sortie.' The jacket is a tribute to a man that was a real hero that served in a NAVY mission that was rarely noticed or appreciated by the general public. He'd made a fine carrier commander. Thats all he ever wanted.

jacket1_zpswr6ji8y8.jpg

jacket2_zps9ygkiszs.jpg

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
I've just enjoyed reading this thread from beginning to end (I was rushing to finish deadlines prior to Christmas, so didn't have time to before) and have enjoyed all the updates and prep and your enthusiasm, Steve. There's a lot of service and pride in that jacket and it must evoke a lot of good memories for your dad - as well as for him to know how proud you are of him.
Nicely done.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
I want to personally thank all members of the LOUNGE that added input and suggestions to complete this project. Soon I will pass this coat on to my brothers son who is currently in flight school. I think his grandfathers name will live on for another generation.

Im stuck on another decision though.

The original leather name tag with his gold wings I was able to save from his old flight jacket. My wife thinks I should get a black magic marker and black out the rank. ( CDR ) I want to honor and talk about my dad, not try to impersonate him. Theres a NAVY senior chief that lives a couple of doors down from me and I asked what he thought and he said dont even worry about it. You can purchase several different jacket types on the web with all kinds of patches pre sewn on them including the ' Pete Mitchel ' Maverick look alike jackets including authentic name tags. You can even have a tag made with any name on it these days.

My custom made jacket patchs and emblem selection specifically deals with my dad. However, theres always some jack ass out there who going to challenge me wearing the coat. Should I black out the rank, leave it on or remove the name tag completely and sew on something else in its place like perhaps embroidered pilot wings.

I love talking about my dads aviation days, the places I lived as a dependent , my Air Force days and I could chat all day about aircraft. ( Im a bit of an aircraft buff myself ) Some people actually do come up to you and thank you for your service to your country. I need to reply with a proper answer by stating that I served but the coat was custom made to honor my dad and his distinguished Naval Aviation Career. Im way to old at 65 years to get into a fist fight with some busy body civilian that most likely never served himself.

As a matter of fact, I was in a 7-11 last month and a young white kid was dressed up in what looked like a black gestapo uniform or fatigues and combat boots with some strange markings on it. Turns out it was a ' white supremacy ' uniform. Nobody said squat to him either ! The black cashier waiting on him was certainly intimidated but kept her cool.

OK FELLAHS. Your opinions count. Modify the name tag or replace it ?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Awesome jacket. My chest swells up with pride with all of this aviation talk. It doesn't matter if a person was flying mops and brooms in the latrine; they still served, and made a sacrifice of their time and energy to their country. With that, as a terminal civilian, I tip my hat to you, your father, and anyone who has served.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars

PBM- 3D My dads first squadron assignment VP-49 NAS NORFOLK circa 1948 flying this Martin type off the old seaplane ramps at the NAS. My dad went on to be an instructor in 1951 at NAS CORPUS CHRISTI. ( I think this old gal was named the flying gas tank ! ) VP-49 patch is on front of jacket. Whale cartoon with a couple of RATO bottles on side ! Talk about low and slow !

Dad said it really looked like a whale too ! LOL !

Last edited:

JimWagner

Practically Family
I remember those old seaplane ramps. When I was first assigned to VP-24 it was at NAS Norfolk (1966) and our hangars and flight line were along that old seaplane ramp area. Our sister squardron, VP-56, lost a young enlisted man there that year who managed to fall into the bay down those ramps in the middle of a cold night watch. No one saw him go in and it was some weeks before his body was found.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Ramps are still there ! I guess they would be perfect for those air cushion amphibs the Marines use. They do have those at NOB LITTLE CREEK VA. BASE.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
dashlargjacktptcobv.jpg
This patch I wanted very badly for jacket but is extremely rare and hard to find. My Dad was involved in project DASH in the early 60s. ( DRONE ANTI SUBMARINE HELICOPTER * GYRODYNE CORP.) This one sold at auction for $ 830.00 ! NOPE ! Didnt need it that bad but Ive never seen another for sale.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I think you should leave the nametag as is. Don't deface it, in reality it is a historical artifact. It is your Dad's name on the tag and not yours, so you're not pretending to be a CDR.

They have a DASH up here at PAX in the museum right outside of Gate One. You could check their on-line store to see if they have a reproduction patch for sale in their gift shop.

When I was first stationed in Norfolk in 2005, they still had a couple of the old sea plane hangars being used. they were beautiful. They have since been torn down and replaced with new hangars for the helicopter squadrons. There are still a couple left that are used for warehouses. The helicopter mine warfare squadrons still use one of the ramps to pull their gear out of the water.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Thanks Treetopflyer. Thats two votes for leaving the name tag alone. You never mentioned what aircraft types your checked out in. You a fighter or attack guy or in another mission ?

BTW, when I was small in the early and mid 50s and living in Norfolk, the main highway to gate one had some strange looking hangers lined inside the parameter fence before you arrived at the main gate. My dad told me that these strange looking hut type hangers stored captured German aircraft that eventually would be restored. Those storage buildings are now gone but thats an interesting part of NAS NORVA history. I think an early variant of the P2 Neptune called the ' TURTLE ' was on display at the main gate too. Not sure of where that famous plane is now. ( Flew from Australia to NAS COLUMBUS OHIO )

Man this brings back some long forgotten memories !

Deacon211

One Too Many
I'm in agreement with Jim and TTF, leave the nametag as is. It's a tribute to your dad and he rated the rank...like he rated the other patches. There's a world of difference between some bozo patching up a jacket with insignia for self-aggrandizement and you wearing a jacket that pays tribute to your dad.

There will inevitably be some jackass that looks at you crossways. Ignore him. I think any aviator that has a kid would be touched to think that their son or daughter would be proud enough of their parent to want to wear their old jacket.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Oh, have you ever been to the Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola. I think they still have one of those Martin jobs stuffed in there.

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/attractions/aircraft-exhibits/item/?item=pb2y_coronado

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/attractions/aircraft-exhibits/item/?item=sp-5b_marlin

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/attractions/aircraft-exhibits/item/?item=sp-2h_neptune

Also, that fact that you have a service of you own to be proud of should probably put to rest any stupid looks that you might get from strangers.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Thanks Treetopflyer. Thats two votes for leaving the name tag alone. You never mentioned what aircraft types your checked out in. You a fighter or attack guy or in another mission ?

BTW, when I was small in the early and mid 50s and living in Norfolk, the main highway to gate one had some strange looking hangers lined inside the parameter fence before you arrived at the main gate. My dad told me that these strange looking hut type hangers stored captured German aircraft that eventually would be restored. Those storage buildings are now gone but thats an interesting part of NAS NORVA history. I think an early variant of the P2 Neptune called the ' TURTLE ' was on display at the main gate too. Not sure of where that famous plane is now. ( Flew from Australia to NAS COLUMBUS OHIO )

Man this brings back some long forgotten memories !
I am an H-60, Rotary Wing guy. Nothing fast moving for me.

The 'TURTLE' is actually in Pensacola at the museum. It has been completely restored and is properly protected inside of the museums new Hangar One. I think that it is one of the best aviation museums I have been to.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Yeah DEACON , I served too but my military story is nothing compared to pops. I signed up to be a STINGER TAIL GUNNER IN THE B 52 but the school was slammed. I ended up as a LOADMASTER IN C 130s. Still an interesting job though.

HELOs huh ? I call them HELO- HEROs because that was a downed pilots rescue angel from above. Be it on land or at sea ! AMEN to you guys !!!

Could you possibly qualify for the OSPREY ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters