Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attempt At Moderne Design

CharlieH.

One Too Many
A long while ago I started to build a model depot from scratch and I also wanted to try my hand at designing something that somehow resembled 1930's streamline moderne architecture. Several hours of cutting, trimming, painting and swearing later produced the following:

DSC05020.jpg

DSC05021.jpg

It still needs some trimming and fixing here and there, as well as furniture on the inside, but then, this is the sort of job that never gets finished.

Whaddya think, folks?

(hmm... why am I getting the feeling that I've already posted this?)

Johnnysan

One Too Many
WOW...nice job! Wish I had an ounce of that kind of talent and patience! I especially like the 2nd shot with the guy hangin' out on the sidewalk. Very realistic! :eusa_clap

Salv

One Too Many
It looks like very authentic small-town municipal architecture, as if it was designed by someone who had studied traditional architecture and wanted to try their hand at Modernism. (And that's not meant to be any sort of comment on your design skills)

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Thanks for the comments, fellas!
Yes, I've been an avid model rail since I was a kid.
As for the rest of the town, it's just a small neighbourhood set in late 1941 (and tucked in a loop of track). How can you tell it's late 1941?

DSC05023.jpg

Right next to the depot. With the present lack of vehicles, that's the only "dater" I got (and some ads).

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Thanks and...

It's HO scale (I sure wish I had the space and dough for "O"). Now, regarding the construction...
I started with a sheet of heavy cardboard on which I drew the templates for walls, floors, bracing and roofs (no blueprints for this one!) and then gave it the knife. Then I assembled the pieces in sections (storage, lobby, offices and waiting room) and added pieces of celluloid for the windows.
For the curved waiting room wall, I used a thinner material (the kind used in cereal boxes) and curved it using the roof and floor as a mold and plenty of glue.
The trim on the walls and windows are layers of typing paper, and the venetian blinds came out of an ink jet printer. When everything was finished, I sprinkled sand dyed with black india ink on the roof.

The newsstand was made the same way, except that I scribed the walls to represent planks... and added roof shingles one at a time.

By the way, does anyone have interior shots of a real moderne depot? I need to furnish the place.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Very cool...

My oldest son Will and I have been doing model trains since his first birthday. We've got an extensive LGB collection running on a LARGE (but unfinished) G-Scale layout in his mother's house. I'm currently planning (procrastinating) a two-foot by ten-foot On30 shelf-layout. (On30 is O-Scale (1/48) running on HO track.) We've been collecting Bachman On30 equipment for the last several years. The era will be 1930s Colorado with a mix of C&S and D&RGW rolling stock and engines.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really dig Streamline Moderne, there are quite a few houses in Sydney done in that style and I think it's cooler than an iceberg that you've designed and built the depot in that style, Charlie. Great detail!

Maybe you could be the Town Planner as in the 'Our Own Vintage Town' thread, and design the physical layout and buildings of the community for us. We know it'd look very Deco and very cool! :D

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Fletch said:
I like it because it looks the way many Moderne buildings actually look before being landmarked and gussied up - a little weatherbeaten, but natural.

Funny thing is that I never intentionally "weathered" it. They're stains from a wee bit too much glue.

katiemakeup said:
Charlie, it's just wonderful! I'd love to see the whole layout, though.

Well, here goes (from the finished areas, that is):

view4.jpg

Overhead view of the (still unnamed) town. The tall yellow building is also my handiwork.

view1.jpg

Level crossing by a men's clothing store (still unfinished)

view3.jpg

A hill by the mainline.

view2.jpg

A piece of countryside "raped" by a railroad.

view5.jpg

A quaint little residence with a small pier.
That is all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183