Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attorneys and Barristers of the Lounge

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
memphislawyer said:
Well, sorry I have been away for so long, but wow, have some news and don't know where else to share it. My daughter is a 2L at the University of Memphis law school - when I went, they called it Memphis State University Law School. Back in the day, we had mock trial and it was one and done, if you lost. She was in the 1L moot court competition and her team finished 6th out of 54 teams and she placed 8th best oral advocate. For someone who did not want to go into the court room, she did well.

Now she just finished the advanced moot court competition and they did well on their brief for the competition. They have a double elimination and they lost the 2nd round, and then came back to sweep 7 in a row and in the final round, beat the team that bounced them in the 2nd round. My daughter is a champion! And to beat that, she received the runner-up Best Oral Advocate award. They were judged by the presiding chief Judge of the U.S. District Court and 2 state Court of Criminal Appeals judges. I am so proud, but don't tell her that I think she would beat me in court. You always want your children to do better than you, and she is so far doing that, and her grades are much better than mine were.

Well, proud papa display over, now to get her a good job this summer, as she wants to maybe go to Atlanta and practice Labor and Employment law, malpractice defense or white-collar criminal defense (she took a Temple University international criminal law class in Rome this summer and loved it).

Great to see you ML. Grab a cosy chair and share a drink with us. How goes the hats?

Fantastic news about your daughter. There's nothing quite like seeing our kids do better than us. Wonderful stuff - and thanks for sharing it with the Bar.

That's gotta be worth a drink.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Lawyers in Lids - Shudde Bros

Yep it's the Shudde Bros Open Road paired with an El Ricos Los Wigwam Weavers 1940's tie.

SDC10356.jpg
ElRicosLosWigwamWeavers.jpg

Now, brothers & sisters of the Bar...how about some of you in lids?!

...or pics of anything really...

filfoster

One Too Many
The only bar I've ever passed (by)

As a new poster to this thread, I am introducing myself. I am an attorney licensed in Ohio and Kentucky. I have been admitted to practice for 29 years this month. I do not 'practice' except as a trust officer for a regional Midwestern bank. I have noticed a distressing increase in litigation in our line (administration of trusts and estates, investment management).
As a Kentucky lawyer, I have promised that I will not fight any duels, although this promise, a charming anachronism in our state's traditions, is unnecessary. I am an abject coward.
I do enjoy the freedom my age provides to wear vintage fedoras for warmth and style and I have acquired a few nice vintage suits, topcoats and hats, along with many new-made examples of these. I must dress in contemporary style in the office, except for the aforementioned outerwear.
Pix would require the assistance of my daughters, who are both away from home.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Paralegals in Lids

Many congratulations to your daughter, memphislawyer :eusa_clap Sound's like you've taught her well!

Bad picture of me, good picture of fedora:

TheHomemaker2001.jpg

I love it. It makes me feel like Carmen Sandiego.

filfoster's post reminded me of a quote from the movie Clueless: "Daddy's a litigator. Those are the scariest kind of lawyers. Even Lucy, our maid, is terrified of him. And he's so good he gets $500.00 an hour to fight with people." lol But getting back to business, why has litigation has increased in your line? Is it the money?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Well, I tried to make an attorney face, but ended up making a “I can’t find the photo button on this darned iPhone” face:

fa86f7fb.jpg

I don’t know if this substantiates hat panache or not, as it’s sort of the sartorial equivalent to those blurry bigfoot pictures you sometimes see in the tabloids. You can at least tell I’m wearing a tie and a hat, though.

Here’s where I was this morning:

GladwinCountyCourthouse.jpg

Built in 1939 and with a gorgeous Streamline Moderne Circuit Courtroom to match. Of course, I was in District Court in the basement.

-Dave

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
filfoster said:
As a new poster to this thread, I am introducing myself. I am an attorney licensed in Ohio and Kentucky. I have been admitted to practice for 29 years this month. I do not 'practice' except as a trust officer for a regional Midwestern bank. I have noticed a distressing increase in litigation in our line (administration of trusts and estates, investment management).
As a Kentucky lawyer, I have promised that I will not fight any duels, although this promise, a charming anachronism in our state's traditions, is unnecessary. I am an abject coward.
I do enjoy the freedom my age provides to wear vintage fedoras for warmth and style and I have acquired a few nice vintage suits, topcoats and hats, along with many new-made examples of these. I must dress in contemporary style in the office, except for the aforementioned outerwear.
Pix would require the assistance of my daughters, who are both away from home.

Welcome brother filfoster! We are an eclectic assortment of lawyers and legal assistants from around the globe who share an interest, not only in things legal, but vintage of all sorts, wine, food and practically anything you care to name.

As for cowardice - when it comes to facing down the wrong end of a gun (which Americans seem almost pathologically devoted to), then cowardice seems only prudent. Staring down law-breakers, thieves, self-interest and the unethical is no problem at all. In fact - bring it on! Unless of course, they're armed.

Welcome aboard. We'll look forward to your Kentucky view of the world.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
C-dot said:
Many congratulations to your daughter, memphislawyer :eusa_clap Sound's like you've taught her well!

Bad picture of me, good picture of fedora:

TheHomemaker2001.jpg

I love it. It makes me feel like Carmen Sandiego.

filfoster's post reminded me of a quote from the movie Clueless: "Daddy's a litigator. Those are the scariest kind of lawyers. Even Lucy, our maid, is terrified of him. And he's so good he gets $500.00 an hour to fight with people." lol But getting back to business, why has litigation has increased in your line? Is it the money?

C-dot - I'm almost rendered speechless! The Bar suddenly looks - well...GORGEOUS! I'm thinking that it would be impossible for you to take a bad photo. Both you and that hat are stunning!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
Well, I tried to make an attorney face, but ended up making a “I can’t find the photo button on this darned iPhone” face:

fa86f7fb.jpg

I don’t know if this substantiates hat panache or not, as it’s sort of the sartorial equivalent to those blurry bigfoot pictures you sometimes see in the tabloids. You can at least tell I’m wearing a tie and a hat, though.

Here’s where I was this morning:

GladwinCountyCourthouse.jpg

Built in 1939 and with a gorgeous Streamline Moderne Circuit Courtroom to match. Of course, I was in District Court in the basement.

-Dave

Brother Dave - I love the look. It's pretty much how I look prior to coffee on any given morning. Great hat. Tell us about it!

And thanks for the Courthouse photo too. Some courthouses are among the prettiest buildings in town - and the most imposing. Brisbane is in the process of building a brand new Supreme and District Court complex which will be worth a photo when it's done.

In the meantime you've given us an idea for some photos. Send in your courthouses from around the globe!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:
And keep those hat photos coming folks....and pens...coats... gorgeous redheads...and whatever.

You're too kind, Ephraim :)

David Conwill has enormous potential for an attorney face (or solicitor, for those Down Under!)

Here are some pictures of the Supreme Court of Canada:

Outside;
Supreme_Court_of_Canada.jpg

Inside;
courtroom.jpg

And the Supreme Justices in their funky lookin' robes.
canadiansupremecourtcanadasupremeco.jpg

This is the Toronto Court of Justice, which I think is architecturally more beautiful:
1325435775_ceef90e0ae.jpg

The Welland Courthouse in Niagara Falls, which houses the Ontario Court of Justice, is also amazing. Other Ontario Courts are unremarkable.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:
Brother Dave - I love the look. It's pretty much how I look prior to coffee on any given morning. Great hat. Tell us about it!

Yeah, I'm definitely no C-Dot, that's for sure. The hat is just my trusty ol' Akubra Fed IV Standard in Moonstone. I think I've mentioned her a time or two. My other hats seem to have gotten misplaced when I moved. I should have something to show off after Christmas, as Mike Moore is tweaking a brown Fed IV Deluxe for me.

-Dave

DougC

Practically Family
Can y'all point me to a good thread (other than the sticky) that discusses posting pictures? I got a shot of Paris Hatters from my window and wanted to share my view. And, I picked up another Open Road today that I had re-shaped into a tear drop...the new office might get expensive!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
DougC said:
Can y'all point me to a good thread (other than the sticky) that discusses posting pictures? I got a shot of Paris Hatters from my window and wanted to share my view. And, I picked up another Open Road today that I had re-shaped into a tear drop...the new office might get expensive!

Doug, most of us use Photobucket.com (freely available online) to upload our photos - then they can easily be downloaded from there to here.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Supreme Court of Queensland

Our original Supreme Court building was opened in 1879 but was sadly burned down in the late 60's.

supreme.jpg

The current building was built in the 70's to house the Supreme and District Courts. It's not much of a looker I'm afraid. They were into function over form back then. The Courtroom pictured
is the Banco Court, used for ceremonial occasions, and in which I took my oath of office before the full bench of the Supreme Court.

Queensland_Supreme_Court.jpg
bancocourt.jpg

The new one, currently under construction, will look like this (sorry for the humungous pic):

SDCourtRomaSt-cropped.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Some of our other courts

The Brisbane Magistrates Court

207664316_349208f0f6.jpg

Commonwealth Law Courts, Brisbane (Federal)

3276194378_879b22d2d8.jpg

High Court of Australia, Canberra (the highest Court in the land, before which I have never appeared, though I do have a right to. One day.).

main.JPG
pow_40_enlargement_tcm2-8299.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav