Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attorneys and Barristers of the Lounge

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
schwaiger said:
Hello, all. I'm new here. Came for the shoes. Saw this thread.

I'm Izaak Schwaiger. I have a criminal defense practice in San Jose, CA. Reasonable doubt for a reasonable fee. Nice to see the rest of you all.

G'day Izaak. Welcome to the Observation Bar Association - a varied collection of lawyers, law staff and legalophiles from around the globe.

I hail from Queensland Australia and practice as an ethics lawyer.

And in that capacity I was recently having a look at some of the legal advertising from CA (as part of a seminar I was running on lawyer advertising among other things) - and wondering how it gets by the local Bar Association.

schwaiger

New in Town
California's Bar has fallen victim to the same economic lull as the rest of the state, that is to say that they can't pay their own staff enough to actually investigate ethics complaints. They sent me an IOU instead of a bar card this year, so go figure.

Here's the local rules on advertising, which I'm pretty sure was the model for the ABA rule. I think there's a new one that's been proposed for this year, but I haven't seen it yet. But hey, as goes California, so goes the world. We're cutting edge out here, even in the field of slimy lawyer advertising.

If you're into that sort of thing, you should check out Mark Bennett's blog called Defending People. He writes mostly on criminal law, but has a lot to say about lawyer advertising too -- equal parts acrimonious and entertaining.

Ephraim Tutt said:
G'day Izaak. Welcome to the Observation Bar Association - a varied collection of lawyers, law staff and legalophiles from around the globe.

I hail from Queensland Australia and practice as an ethics lawyer.

And in that capacity I was recently having a look at some of the legal advertising from CA (as part of a seminar I was running on lawyer advertising among other things) - and wondering how it gets by the local Bar Association.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Brother of the Bar

I was going to make some lame joke about never passing a bar without going in for a drink, but... we've all heard them before.

I'm in Rhode Island and practice in the area of banking, lending and creditor's rights.

I know... it isn't sexy work...

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Adcurium said:
I was going to make some lame joke about never passing a bar without going in for a drink, but... we've all heard them before.

I'm in Rhode Island and practice in the area of banking, lending and creditor's rights.

I know... it isn't sexy work...

Sounds like we're in the exact same line. At least we're busy, eh?

-Dave

4spurs

One of the Regulars
First law school in the U.S.

Anybody here ever been to the Tapping Reeve law school in Litchfield, Ct?

It had two students who, well, let's just say, had interesting lives, and both became Vice President of the U.S.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Narca List Serve

Oh, it certainly is. If you or your firm is already a member of NARCA (National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys) you can just request a password and they have links on their website about subscribing to the list serve. If you guys aren't members, the list serve is, at least in our opinion, worth the price of membership.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Dreispitz said:
Will any other lounger attend this UIA congress in Ljubljana this week?

Welcome to the Bar Association Dreispitz!
The UIA looked like an interesting get-together. Sadly, Australia's distance from practically everywhere makes getting to these things difficult. I wrote an opinion on Collaborative Law recently that has now been adopted as official policy here. It would be interesting to see how that style of ADR is progressing around the globe.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
Welcome to the Bar Association Dreispitz!
The UIA looked like an interesting get-together. Sadly, Australia's distance from practically everywhere makes getting to these things difficult. I wrote an opinion on Collaborative Law recently that has now been adopted as official policy here. It would be interesting to see how that style of ADR is progressing around the globe.

Hi ET,

the congress was great, especially the social part alongside of it :D

There is quite a bit going on in favor of ADR and mediation on particular over here in Europe. In 2008 the European Commission passed a mediation directive. It is already effective, regulating international mediations within the EU. By early 2011 all EU member states (exept Denmark :eusa_doh: ) will have to adopt the directive to their law.

Slovenia and Italy already have implemented the drirective. Last week Ales Zalar, Minister of Justice of Slovenia and trained mediator, gave a talk on his government´s approach on mediation at the congress. 10 % of the court cases are already settled through mediation! Mediation is offered as a free service for the parties by courts.

Australia is quite advanced in ADR, no? I met an Australian colleague at an ICC congress, last year in Paris. Was very interesting, what she reported on the situation of ADR down under.

Concerning collaborative law, in divorce and family cases mediation is already well known and commonly practiced in Germany. Commercial mediation and mediation in common and civil law are gradually following suite. There will be more after 2011.

So, how are things in Australia proceeding?

Dieter

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I'm more than a little late in saying so, but congratulations to Miss Bella Hell! I'm tardy because I've spent the last few months shutting down my practice and looking for a job. I finally did find one, and as of June 1, 2010, I am an assistant city attorney!

Dan Zulu

New in Town
Count me in! I am a relatively new California attorney. My work is split fairly evenly between business litigation and regulatory compliance for gaming businesses operating in Indian Country. I proudly wear my hats to court.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I thought I had a nice shot of Flint, Michigan's courthouse to share with you all, but I can't seem to locate it. If you're ever in the Vehicle City, the restored courthouse is a jewel and should be visited.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot