Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Authentic SpanAm Campaign Hat?

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
This hat recently sold on OFAS. Do you suppose this could possibly be an authentic Spanish American war campaign hat?

49a1_3.JPG

4ad8_3.JPG

4c43_3.JPG

4d63_3.JPG

4eaf_3.JPG

4fc7_3.JPG

50ec_3.JPG

5358_3.JPG

5222_3.JPG

Deanglen, you are the FL resident expert on this genre, what do you think?

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wolfman Jack,

Could it be Spam-Am War vintage? I doubt it. My guess is it was a nice Stetson western hat that a New York State Trooper modified for official use. The purple ribbon is a NY State Trooper adornment. My best guess for what it's worth. Lack of brim stitching, venting punches or screens or bracher vents, plus excellent condition of the felt causes me to withhold Span-Am War Era identification. I'd buy it and re-ribbon it and get someone to brim stitch three lines and it would make a terrific reproduction.

dean

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
Hello Dean!! :D There was a WWI campaign hat at a local antique shop last time I was there but definitely small.:eusa_doh:

'Lo to you, InDcop! Yeah, those guys had a swarm of small noggins back then.

dean

Stoney

Practically Family
I'll add that it has a reeded sweatband and gold foil embossing on the sweat as well. Both very doubtful additions for a hat from the Spanish American War. Looks more like 1950s to me.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
It's certainly not a regulation campaign hat, and it's appearance to me suggest it isn't of Spanish American War vintage in any event.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
deanglen said:
My guess is it was a nice Stetson western hat that a New York State Trooper modified for official use. The purple ribbon is a NY State Trooper adornment.

I believe you have it, Dean. Here are three troopers wearing covers virtually identical to the OFAS hat. The only difference I can see is that the OFAS hat lacks vent holes.
060909_bucky_hmed4p.hmedium.jpg

Incidentally, the prisoner is Ralph “Bucky” Phillips, now serving 25 years to life for shooting several troopers. A State Trooper's life is not an easy one.

rgraham

A-List Customer
Wolfmanjack said:
Incidentally, the prisoner is Ralph “Bucky” Phillips, now serving 25 years to life for shooting several troopers. A State Trooper's life is not an easy one.

I'll bet he doesn't make it that long......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic