Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Auto ID?

Captain Neon

Familiar Face
DSC06698.jpg

Who's the lady in the driver's seat? She's beautiful!

Justin B

One Too Many
My best guess is that it's a 1951 Chevrolet Fleetline Deluxe. I say this as without seeing the front end it's hard for me to be 100%, but going by the shape of the rear fender, the trim running down the center of the door, and the shape of the rock shield (chrome piece in front of the rear wheel)...I'd say I'm a solid 85%.

1951-chevrolet-fleetline-deluxe-1.jpg

DSC06820.jpg

Last edited:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My best guess is that it's a 1951 Chevrolet Fleetline Deluxe. ...
Thanks. I thought it may be a '51 Chevy, but needed someone to confirm. My Dad had that car. The picture was taken in 1952 at Oak Hill School where my Dad was the principal. I have another picture of the '51, but needed confirmation of this one to put the car into context to make sure it was his car.

The woodie wagon at the start is an iconic car, They were considered to be the quintessential surfers car for taking your friends and surf boards to the beach. They tend to be nuch desired and command great prices when intact.

Big Man

Here's one that may be a bit difficult, but it's been bugging me for a long time now. Can anyone identify the car on the left? I know it's just the rear fender, taillight, and the trunk emblem, but still I hope some of you fine folks can come up with an answer (or, at least, an "educated guess").I know the photo was taken in March, 1956. That's my aunt Hazel holding me as a baby. The car in the foreground is my parent's 1955 Olds 98. I have a vague memory of riding in my aunt's old car (the one on the left that I'm wondering about). She traded that car for a new 1961 Chevy Bel Air.I know from some old documents I've found that there was a 1947 Olds, a 1949 Chevy, and a 1951 Chevy owned at various times by the family (both by my Dad and my aunt). Trouble is, I really can't determine who owned what car at what time. I believe the car in question is one of these three.If I could figure out what kind of car is pictured on the left, then a lot of my questions would be answered. Any ideas?
1949ChevyFleetlineleft.jpg
I'm glad to report that I can answer my own question on this. I was able to buy my aunt's '61 Chevy from my sister the other day. In the glove box of the '61 was the sales receipt from my aunt's purchase of the car in November 1960. The receipt indicated she traded a 1949 Chevy Coupe (got $580 trade).So, the old car I vaguely remembered and is pictured above was a '49 Chevy Coupe. Without the luck of finding that old receipt, I doubt I'd ever have found out about the car.

Justin B

One Too Many
That's an awesome piece of paperwork to find. I'd suggest you have it preserved in some form so as to keep it with the car. Also another thing you can look for is under the rear seat you will sometimes find the original build sheet which is another very good piece of paperwork to have. Congrats on the "new" car, look forward to seeing pictures of it.

Big Man

My grandfather and grandmother Dobson with two of my aunts. This photo must have been taken sometime mid-1950's. I know it's a long shot, but can anyone identify the car to the right?
IMG_0009_zpsb8780bae.jpg

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
Of course the one on the left is "57 Chevrolet but I'm pretty sure the one on the is a 1955 Chevrolet V8. Betweebun the right couple you can see a little of the side emblem. It possible could be a '56 but I think stronger to the '55.

Big Man

Of course the one on the left is "57 Chevrolet but I'm pretty sure the one on the is a 1955 Chevrolet V8. Betweebun the right couple you can see a little of the side emblem. It possible could be a '56 but I think stronger to the '55.

Thanks. I thought they were Chevy's, but just not sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy