Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AVI LTHR BRONCO A-2 Jacket Review & Pics

Brettafett

One Too Many
Yes, the label is a pretty good reproduction. I have collected a number of pics of original Bronco labels and they do vary in their make-up. In comparison, this label is pretty darn good.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Yes, the label is a pretty good reproduction. I have collected a number of pics of original Bronco labels and they do vary in their make-up. In comparison, this label is pretty darn good.

AVI support promises to make the label even more copy in the future (font height and individual letters) as on the original Bronco label.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic review with detailed pictures and observations that appears to be a bargain as well. I strongly suspect your Bronco A-2 is more historically correct than my Aero Bronco A-2 made by the old regime (Will Lauder, etc.). Nice acquisition!

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
Interesting observation Fanch... This copy may be more 'historically' accurate, perhaps... but your Bronco looks great!

Brettafett

One Too Many
AVI support promises to make the label even more copy in the future (font height and individual letters) as on the original Bronco label.
Interesting... AVI does seem to want to present the best face of this contract.
However, as noted, almost all of my Bronco label pics show variations... I think their label presents a great cross-section.

NABodie

New in Town
How would you rate the thickness of the goatskin as compared to an issued G-1? My G-1 is pretty thin when compared to my horsehide jacket but the G-1 still looks brand new 25 years later.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
How would you rate the thickness of the goatskin as compared to an issued G-1? My G-1 is pretty thin when compared to my horsehide jacket but the G-1 still looks brand new 25 years later.

Goatskin this A-2 seemes thinner than on my issued G-1 (1956).

Brettafett

One Too Many
Yes, Id agree... Its thinner than any original G-1 I have seen. Although it is similar (although a bit thinner) to Eastman's goatskin used on their G-1s and M422as. I have a brand new ELC M422a at hand and comparing them, the thickness is similar, but the AVI goatskin is a touch thinner in some places... at least on the jacket I have... and more soft and pliable, has more character and creasing out of the box...
But the ELC goat is clearly on another level (and many times more expensive).

Deacon211

One Too Many
Yes, Id agree... Its thinner than any original G-1 I have seen. Although it is similar (although a bit thinner) to Eastman's goatskin used on their G-1s and M422as. I have a brand new ELC M422a at hand and comparing them, the thickness is similar, but the AVI goatskin is a touch thinner in some places... at least on the jacket I have... and more soft and pliable, has more character and creasing out of the box...
But the ELC goat is clearly on another level (and many times more expensive).

Not to completely derail this thread, but that is an interesting observation.

While I love my ELC G-1, I too thought that the leather is quite thin. I was told that this was historically correct. But I've never seen an original that was similar.

Of course, I haven't seen them all.

Sorry for the derail!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flightengineer

Practically Family
I wear it several times (and twice this girl flew with me)... begins to show an individual character)))
Very soft and comfortable ... waiting for warm weather)

Brettafett

One Too Many
Just an update for anyone who is interested. AVI LTHR has a russet version of their Bronco imminent, will be available in about 2 weeks.
Besides the russet goatskin, I've been informed that this version will feature an 'upgraded' zipper... Talon have reproduced an M-39 Triple-Marked zipper, especially for AVI. I'm sure this will be std on all A-2s going forward. An exciting addition.
Also, I've told that they have looked even more closely at the label and have it darn near perfect.
These 'updates', promise to make an already great jacket, even better.
Watch this space, I hope to get some fit pics and do a review of this one also, comparing to the seal version.

Brettafett

One Too Many
I must say, I really loving this jacket. Its wearing in very well, it drapes beautifully and is so comfortable to wear for an A-2.
I took some Surgical Spirits to it the other day, for a light, subtle rub-over... and it looks fantastic.
AVI BRONCO 1.jpg
Just removed some of the surface sheen and lightly burnished the high points... due to the grain, the effect is very nice.
AVI BRONCO 2.jpg
I cant recommend these jackets enough! And no, no ones paying me to say this.
I have the new russet Bronco arriving soon and am looking forward to comparing that with this seal version.
(Incidentally, both these jackets together, would cost less than a single jacket from one of the top tier makers... with change $£)
AVI BRONCO 3.jpg

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Looks good!
It looks like a WWII jacket .
Great job,Brett!
I agree that AVI is very light and comfortable. Nice summer A-2.

Gutmann

New in Town
Hi Brettafett,

wow your jacket looks awesome!!! What do you mean by "Surgical Spirits"?

I am also waiting for the russet version, which should be approx. available next week. Please find attached the photo of the leather swatch, which Morton (very nice contact) mailed to m. In his mail he pointed out the following changes to the "new" Bronco: A bit thicker leather, a triple marked talon zipper reproduced by Talon and a Triangular reinforcement stitching used at the bottom of the zipper. If this info is of interest to you guys.

Have a nice weekend.

Best,

Philipp

Attachments

• leather-swatch.jpg
    leather-swatch.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 297

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24