Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AVI LTHR BRONCO A-2 Jacket Review & Pics

LtMehlich

New in Town
Hey guys, here are the pictures of my new jacket. (I know not really high quality)
What do you guys think?

I'm 181 cm tall and about 85 kg and usually wear either size 42 or 44. But it seems that the Avis are reeeeaaally trim

Attachments

• 30185110_1644641172299606_22083159_n.jpg
    30185110_1644641172299606_22083159_n.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 356
  • 30422307_1644641778966212_1965376197_n.jpg
    30422307_1644641778966212_1965376197_n.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 349

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Hey guys, here are the pictures of my new jacket. (I know not really high quality)
What do you guys think?

I'm 181 cm tall and about 85 kg and usually wear either size 42 or 44. But it seems that the Avis are reeeeaaally trim

The size of the pictures is too small, but the jacket looks good on you. Which size is it?

LtMehlich

New in Town
It is 44.. I don't know if i need a 46.. I am afraid 48 could be too baggy around the waist and too long for me

Brettafett

One Too Many
Looks good, does it feel comfortable? You could go up in size if you feel the need for some leeway....

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Didn't check this thread until now because I'm no fan of A-2s and didn't care too much but wow, the quality of the leather and detailing on these jackets is surprisingly good for the price. Has anyone asked Morten where these are made? Because those folks will give American-based companies a hard time if they keep learning and improving at that pace.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's been suggested over on the VLJ that the jackets are being produced in Pakistan. Would explain ultra-low price point.

LtMehlich

New in Town
Looks good, does it feel comfortable? You could go up in size if you feel the need for some leeway....
well not really, I think it's quite tight under the arms and around the chest..

One more question to all of you: Is that smell, coming from the jacket normal? Smells like all sorts of chemicals (hopefully not dangerous)

Gutmann

New in Town

One more question to all of you: Is that smell, coming from the jacket normal? Smells like all sorts of chemicals (hopefully not dangerous)

To my experience it's normal. It comes from the chrome tanning and won't stay. Sizing wise I had the same issues that's why I sizing up again.

Best,

Philipp

Flightengineer

Practically Family

Strange ... my AVI seal brown had not chemistry smell. Just had a slight smell of new leather jacket first time, which then disappeared.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Seb,

Yes, all the photos showing me with the jacket is size 46. when the jacket is open it fits quite good. When it is zipped up, you can see that the chest is very tight. The shoulders are on spot with me wearing only a thin shirt. As I’m getting old and I want to wear this jacket some years I’ll check out size 48 ;)

Best,

Philipp

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I think the cut of these jackets may be the problem. Perhaps just like the originals. They look baggy in the shoulders and stomach area but are tight in the chest - something that happens with some patterns. Generally this means you have to buy a jacket that is too large to get it to fit comfortably. Any chance of seeing more photos of the 46 - it looks slightly over sized already?

Gutmann

New in Town
I think the cut of these jackets may be the problem. Perhaps just like the originals. They look baggy in the shoulders and stomach area but are tight in the chest - something that happens with some patterns. Generally this means you have to buy a jacket that is too large to get it to fit comfortably. Any chance of seeing more photos of the 46 - it looks slightly over sized already?

ab5b852d43b38a574b1baf006e3876f4.jpg

12502152eebc70b7b8b4add89cd36309.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I received the jacket on Wednesday and must say that I'm underwhelmed. I, too, was a little surprised when it arrived and found that there was absolutely no smell of leather. Then I thought the color was way more orangey than expected. The topper was when I saw the term "Genuine Leather" on the inside of the garment. Genuine leather isn't really leather at all, but a sort of byproduct. I've emailed them about it, but I'm already thinking of returning it (and paying the cost).

pak

One of the Regulars
It would appear to me the quality leather jacket (Aero, GW etc) market is pretty competitive. To think one could fine a similar quality new jacket for hundreds of dollars less is folly. Hey I've been through this drill, as many others have. Once you have an A2 from Goodwear, Aero, Eastman etc., there is no going back. I have been following this thread with interest. The tickle of 'just maybe' keeps popping in my head and it is irritating for me. Quality is a tactile thing especially in clothes. AVI's fine photography and not charging the VAT just about had me drawn in.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I disagree Pak - it is possible to make a trim A2 pattern and do it well at an affordable price. And this has been done. One good example is the Steve McColgan A2.

Making a decent A2 is not like trying to cure cancer. Many companies do them very well in nice leather but produce a baggy modern pattern. It wouldn't take much to get a pattern right.

Gutmann's new photos look pretty good actually. I'm just not sure about the colour.

The original A2's were put together in haste by people who were often not garment makers, brought into the war production effort. The originals looked cool but were often put together badly and made of mismatched leathers. The tradition did not begin with precise artisan jacket makers. I'm sure modern production is more than able to make a decent affordable version that is close to an original in specs.

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
Gutmann, that jacket looks really good. The fit looks perfect also!
I received my 42 russet and really like the subtle hues and character of the leather... TBH, I prefer the seal colour, but thats always been my preference... This russet is nice though, very similar to the old Aero and ELC russet jackets, esp the early caramel ELC Werbers (this is maybe a touch lighter) and I've seen a GW goat A-2 that was very similar to this. I think it will age beautifully.
Check this pic below from ELC's 2017 pop up, three Havana russet A-2s... all different. Look how light the one is on the far left.
ELC Havana HH Hues.jpg
Also, compare with these original WW2 russet jackets below.
23FG Pilot.JPG A-2_Original13.JPG CableRaincoat Mike_Hunt.jpg This looks exactly like AVI Bronco's russet colour.
Fit-wise, all I can say is I'm normally a 40 long... I wear a 42 AVI Bronco. This russet version fits well, although I can feel a very slight 'trimness', but I think this new goatskin will account for that. I love it, its slightly thicker, maybe not quite as soft and flexible as my previous seal version (that does not mean its stiff, far from it).
I have long since lost concern over whether a jacket's shoulders rounds off a little, so much is due to the pattern and the particular contract and preferred fit. Most WW2 pics you will find, have the jackets a touch big on the wearers anyway.
We're lucky, we get to choose and custom fit.
I also feel, after well over 20 top tier jackets over the last 15 years that these jackets compare well.
There is simply a level of sophistication with and ELC, GW etc that you are not going to find on a jacket under the uber price range.
But who else does a decent 'original maker' WW2 patterned mid-priced jacket? (just look at Gutmann's pic, thats fantastic... An ELC, Aero, GW, BK is not going to look or fit any better than that). Perfect for a knock around or as a patch/ paint up jacket that won't break the bank, and thats what these are.
I think some fine-tuning to the details and these will really size-up well.
I'm comparing this goatskin side by side with my current ELC goatskin samples and its not far off at all, in grain, thickness or feel.
I will take some pics and post a review soon.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Brett, thanks for the long detailed post and photo.
I also received my russet and the color seems to me a bit lighter and bright than usual russet too. I also prefer a seal brown color. But otherwise it's a well-assembled jacket made of good leather with a good zipper, copying the original Talon.
I think it will look better when it gets older.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran