Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AVI LTHR's ANJ-3 Flight Jacket pics & review

Brettafett

One Too Many
AVI's new ANJ-3
View attachment 84052
This is their 'take' on the 1943 ANJ-3, essentially their M-422 with a leather collar, epaulets, regular left pocket and brown rayon lining.
As AVI says, its... "what they would have supplied the Quartermaster if they were producing jackets back in 1943"...
Its damn comfortable, like their M-422A.
View attachment 84053
Appears to have a mid brown thread, which contrasts beautifully with the darker seal goat.
This slightly darker seal goat is the same as used on the G-1, and feels relatively pliable, 'gives' and still feels bullet-proof. No squeaking.
It arrived with lots of grain and character, ready for action.
Seal brown knits with the the single ply, rib rack waistband as on the M-422A.
View attachment 84054
All other details are the same as the M-422A, but this is likely to be more useable all year round, sans the fur collar.
Usual good workmanship, stitching is neat & tidy and all the panels align.
View attachment 84055
I was interested to see the collar. From pics Ive seen, it appears the collars are slightly larger on some original ANJ-3s.
AVI's done a fantastic job here. I love this collar! Not too big, not too small, its well-proportioned. It has a classic profile and works well with the jacket.
Very basic label, perhaps something to get creative with and update down the line.
View attachment 84056
View attachment 84061
I think this jacket is going to spin people around. Its the best of the A-2 and the G-1 designs, very comfortable and practical.
The bi-swing back is just such a phenomenal design feature. The ANJ is arguably the most 'evergreen' leather flight jacket... Wearable across all seasons.
But does it retain that 'mystique' of the classic A-2 or G-1? Perhaps it is its own pedigree... Each to their own I guess.
View attachment 84057
This is a size 42 with a bit added to the sleeves (on request) and its a good fit for me. As with the M-422a, I would recommend going up at least one size from your actual chest size.
It feels a touch 'easier' in the chest than my M-422A, which is a good thing. Its hardly noticeable, but lifting arms out, I can feel it. Likely, due to usual variances for hand-made jackets.
Although it feels well-made and sturdy, the jacket is light enough and feels to be about the same weight as my original Star G-1, old ELC and AVI's M-422A, noticeably lighter than the Cockpit G-1.
View attachment 84058 View attachment 84062
As it says on AVI's description... For those of you who sit a lot (Im wearing it as I write this)... In cars or at desks.... Who might find the A-2 a bit restrictive with arms lifted or outstretched for periods of time, or feel the fur collar gets a bit warm on the neck in the warmer months... Or who want something 'different' to add to the collection... This is something to consider.
For some, this could be the only flight jacket they would ever need. Its a cool-as-beans jacket for sure.
View attachment 84059
For those unawares, who want to know more about the type and its place in the history of flight jackets, this is a great resource in one place... (big thanks to those involved)
“A Better Fighting Garment…” - A Beginner’s Guide to the US Navy’s WWII-era and later Intermediate Flight Jackets
https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...-and-later-intermediate-flight-jackets.27377/

Thanks for reading.

Brettafett

One Too Many
For some reason, didn't link properly... And wont let me edit the original post
So, here are the pics
AVI ANJ-3 42 1.jpg
AVI ANJ-3 42 2.jpg
P1280447.JPG
P1280452.JPG
P1280498.JPG
P1280502.JPG
P1280506-2.jpg