Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Avirex question for you experts

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Besides the more obvious changes, I believe that the new spec doesn't require one-piece back construction.

Seriously lame! When does a "classic A-2 jacket" become just "inspired by the classic A-2 jacket"?

Feraud

Bartender
fedoralover said:
It didn't bother him a bit, he said "I don't care, that's a nice looking Jacket".
I was hoping to read that reply! :)

There has been a flurry of A2 discussion around here lately. I have been chomping at the bit to upgrade to something nice. Hopefully soon..

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
I have owned the current issue USAF A-2 flight jacket made by Avirex. It is made of goatskin and has a one piece back, side entry handwarmer pockets under the front patch pockets, and two inside pockets. It is made in Philadelphia at the Defense Supply Center. I bought it on Ebay but it was a long size so I resold it. The jacket was supple and lighter in weight than my G&B goat A-2. It had a defect in that one of the epaulets was a little longer than the other. I called Avirex (before they became Cockpit) and ended up talking with the daughter of the owner of the company. Very interesting chat. Anyway, the guy that bought the jacket off Ebay was a pilot in the RAF who was TDY to an AF base in Texas. Go figure! I believe the older Avirex and Cooper jackets made for the USAF had better materials and workmanship also. The reason for adding side entry pockets and inside pockets is obvious. The pilots of today want them and ,for a change, the Brass listened. Hence the modifications were approved. For the last ten years or so, Airmen had been having these jacket mods(extra pockets, tailored fit, etc.) done in Turkey.

Ray

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Here's a pic of the front, you can see it is like the unmatched hides on some jackets. One side is smoother than the other, which I like. On my monitor this shows the color very accurately.

IMG_20070312_0001_2.jpg

fedoralover

JRaptor

Familiar Face
Hey, that looks purdy good actually, My very first A-2 was an Avirex about 20 years ago (hey, we all started somewhere....:eek: ) which I got at the USAF Museum.... still have it and it looks allot like that, well it used to anyways, the finish is well worn off by now!

Some say that there special edition Flying Tiger's A-2 was really nice, I have never seen one in real though.

Can we see a full shot of the jacket

greyhound68

A-List Customer
fedoralover said:
Here's a pic of the front, you can see it is like the unmatched hides on some jackets. One side is smoother than the other, which I like. On my monitor this shows the color very accurately.

IMG_20070312_0001_2.jpg

fedoralover

That is very nice leather. I don't care what jacket it comes from that looks first class to me.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Wow, thanks Greyhound, coming from someone who has had as many jackets as you, I consider that a real compliment. I don't have a full picture that shows the jacket that well. The one I have was taken in partial shade and it makes the leather look like it has faded spots, but the one I showed at the beginning of this thread looks exactly like it.

Can you guys tell from the pic if it is cow or horse? Also, what adds to this jacket is the color, it isn't russet or a seal brown, but kind of a dark cordovan, as you can see in the pic.

thanks fedoralover

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I guesse a lot around here started with Avirex - I did too.
They were THE big name back in the 80s. I still keep some of their catalouges -The Cockpit - somewhere. They were truely great.

I also have a book: Cowboys of the Sky by Gilles Lhote and Jeff Clyman - who twas the founder/owner of Avirex back then. Though I am not overly impressed by Avirex or Cockpit now - but they sure started my interest in
A2's back then - and I must give them that credit!

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Fedora,
The color on your jacket is exactly (at least in the photo you have) of my Buzz Rickson 21996. The "Bronco Hide" Buzz uses is just exactly like that mixed really grainy stuff with smooth. There is really no way to tell just by looking at leather whether it is horse or cow. The real issue is does it matter. When you have leather like this it is the look of the leather that matters not the type. At least IMO.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Greyhound, no it doesn't matter to me what the leather is, I only wanted to know so as to accurately describe it. I guess I'll just have to settle with "it's either horse or cow". The pic I posted is about as close to the real thing as possible to show. I appreciate everyone's input on this jacket.

IMG_20070312_0001_2.jpg

fedoralover

Speedster

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
I guesse a lot around here started with Avirex - I did too.
They were THE big name back in the 80s. I still keep some of their catalouges -The Cockpit - somewhere. They were truely great.

I also have a book: Cowboys of the Sky by Gilles Lhote and Jeff Clyman - who twas the founder/owner of Avirex back then. Though I am not overly impressed by Avirex or Cockpit now - but they sure started my interest in
A2's back then - and I must give them that credit!

I dreamed of getting an Avirex back then. I also have some of their old catalouges. But i only had one of the french Chevignon jackets (still have it somewhere).

I also have that book: Cowboys of the Sky. It was my bible in the 80s.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
fedoralover said:
Thanks Greyhound, no it doesn't matter to me what the leather is, I only wanted to know so as to accurately describe it. I guess I'll just have to settle with "it's either horse or cow". The pic I posted is about as close to the real thing as possible to show. I appreciate everyone's input on this jacket.

IMG_20070312_0001_2.jpg

fedoralover

So what do you think of your Avirex jacket? Are you happy, or do you want more. Ihave an older one in seal brown.

theo

New in Town
avirex a-2

:mad: :mad: I bought a "Cockpit ? Avirex? A2 many years ago, there were more fubars ass-o-ciated with the jacket it wasn't even funny. the leathers were mis matched , the sleeves did not line up right and when you moved the right arm the sleeve almost tiwsted completely around to the front. The lining was horse s--t, and started to come apart after the second wearing.
I call avirex and asked if they could fix the " SCREWUPS" ( not in those terms) they very nicely told me that the repairs (?) would cost 250.00$ plus plus and shipping back to me, repairs would take one to two months.. For crying out loud talk about ripoffs, the darn thing cost 190.00$'s when I bought it. If any one was to ask me if their products are worth buying, I'd have to stear them some where else. I traded it to a A.A.F. dealer to use as parts, and got some W.W.ll flight gear in trade. Alls well that ends well...... buyer beware!!!! theo

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
I was hoping to read that reply! :)

There has been a flurry of A2 discussion around here lately. I have been chomping at the bit to upgrade to something nice. Hopefully soon..[/QUO

What size are you? I have an almost brand new Aero real deal seal HH for sale.

fishmeok

Vendor
I've had two Avirex A-2's with that same tag- the first was a decent goatskin jacket, nicely made and reasonably accurate. It fits great (44L) and is still a daily wearer. The second (both bought off e-bay) was a cheesy light weight cowhide mess that had side entry pockets and terrible knits. I bought it because the tag was the same as the other jacket, but as mentioned above, Avirex must have thrown that same tag on several different styles.
Cheers
Mark

This is the good jacket- the other went right back on e-bay.
Before being "weathered" and broken in by running it through the wash...
DSCN0731.jpg

After a little wear-
DSCN0896.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Swoosed said:
What size are you? I have an almost brand new Aero real deal seal HH for sale.
Thanks for the offer.
I bought a McCoy that ended up being a little too long in the arms for me and am considering selling it. A G&B historical horsehide is on the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran