Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Awesome! 1933-1935 NRA-labeled DB, patch pocket, belted-back overcoat!

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Ladies and Gents,

Wow, what an amazing find. I have the pleasure of documenting and offering up for sale this magnificent article of clothing. Made by Hart, Schaffner and Marx, 1933-1935. This coat was originally purchased at a store called Remington's, located in Delta, CO, which is a small town in south west Colorado. The store Remington's was a menswear store that was a dealer for Hart Shaffner and Marx and was located at 345 Main St in Delta.

delta%20colorado%20main%20street%20c1930%20pc.jpg

This photo show Main St in Delta around the time this coat was offered for sale. Most likely, this coat has lived in Colorado its whole life.

First, let me say this - I would not be selling this if it fit me. As it turns out, it is much too large for me. I hope to pass this coat on to a fellow FL'er who will appreciate it. Now, with that said, I am still hovering on the fence with this coat, so given the pictures below, perhaps more knowledgable FL'ers may shed some insight on sizing of this type of coat for this era. The shoulders fit me well, but the body of the coat is extremely big and loose on me. If I can find a really good excuse to keep it I will, but for now it will be up for sale.

First of all, here are the basics:

Double breasted
Peak lapels
Patch pockets (both hand pockets, and breast pocket)
Belted-back
NRA label

As you can see, it has many sought-after features for this era. The NRA label is fascinating. You can read more about the National Recovery Act here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Recovery_Act . It lasted from June 1933 to May of 1935 when it was declared Unconstitutional. This lovely coat has a medium weight, comfortable black and gray houndstooth-like pattern, with a hint of chocolate color in the right light, while remaining consistent in the texture of the fabric. The fabric is not buttery soft like cashmere, but not harsh either. It feels pleasent to the touch. The pattern is conservative in nature, so this is an overcoat that you could wear with vintage or modern attire, in a modern setting and be completely at ease.

A couple of interesting things to note: When buttoned up, the button stance is slightly offset to the center of the jacket. Also, both sides have buttonholes, with some right next to the buttons, which appears unusual to me. If anyone has any thoughts about the reason for this, I'd love to hear more about it.

Here is the best part: It is in excellent, excellent condition! There is only the slightest amount of wear on the back edge of the bottom of the coat where it would 'sweep the stairs'. Everything else looks pristine! I took a flashlight and shone it down the coat to highlight the shadows and eccentuate any damage. I could find none. That's right! No moth nips or holes! The outside of the garment is in wonderful condition, as is the inside. It is nearly beyond reproach. Just take a look at the NRA label, which is indicative of it's overall condition. And now, the pictures!

P1258037-vi.jpg

P1258038-vi.jpg

P1258039-vi.jpg

P1258040-vi.jpg

More pictures coming...

Last edited:

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
P1258041-vi.jpg

P1258043-vi.jpg

P1258044-vi.jpg

coatfront-vi.jpg

SIZING:

Shouders: 19.5"
Chest: 48"
Overall length (top of the back of collar to bottom of coat): 49.5"

(for the reference picture, I am about 5'10")

Sleeves: 26-26.5"

Price: $150 + shipping.

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails