Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

b!wear Newsboy

analogist

One of the Regulars
A good cap, a good price, a good guy

Not only does a fine fedora tickle my fancy (and I've been tickled many times) but a good cap is "comfort food" for the head.

Brett Stiles makes a really cool cap that is refreshing in many ways. The price is right, the look is sporty (I am so tempted to say they are amusing with overtones of roasted almonds and a hint of oak--but I won't) the fabrics are traditional to funky and all really feel good.

I have already gotten some for myself, my wife, and a couple of gifts and they all scored high marks. I also just received three cashmere tartan caps made from Johnston of Elgin, Scotland scarves which I sent Brett. They are normally really expensive but if any of you have ever been to the Sierra Trading Post website, they are available at a very proper price. The cashmere caps have everything going for them and are "cloud weight".

I have read the thread a few times as to whether they are vintage and IMHO they are; they are vintage 2006. A riff on the traditional can really be a good thing, and the item which must be an exact copy is a spare key.

A B!Wear cap will make your hat feel good and a conversation with its maker will make your head feel straight.

analogist

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Vintage style caps...

Wild Root said:
Glad you like the photos! 8-14-2006

Yes, the vintage caps seem to be cut different! I'm not sure how but, they do always look different then what I have seen made today.

As for bending the bill, I have seen many photos of guys that have bent them and tweaked them mostly due to stuffing them into their back pockets and holding them when taking them off.

Now, B!Wear Caps, I'm not sure if I can send a cap to you, I don't trust the mail system very well... I'm sure I could trust you with them but, these caps are very rare and I'd be crushed if one should ever become lost or destroyed some how. However, I will do this for you, I will take great detailed photos of the best caps and I'll email them to you! I will also measure parts of them so you will have a good idea of what the dimensions are.

If you ever find yourself in southern CA, please let me know, I'd be more then happy to show you the caps I have and we could talk about this idea more.

=WR=

How is the project coming along. Will we see some new cap styles soon from B! Wear Cap Co...?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I haven't heard from B!wear... I was waiting to hear from him about this... not a peep. I’m sure he’s very busy and hasn’t the time to work with me. He's welcomed to contact me if he's interested in replicating some of my originals.

I'm standing by.

=WR=

PS. B!wear, just send me a PM expressing your interest and I’d be happy to photograph and measure these caps if you desire.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
B Wear Caps

I had the oppotunity this week to see some of the caps made by Brett. As for quality , they are worth every penny . The sweatbands were leather , something that you dont see anymore . The fabrics were very nice and the sewing was great . My only small objection was that they were very soft caps. I'm used to a cap that has slightly more body to it . I'm sure that Brett could change his shape a little if needed . Otherwise , the caps are as close to vintage as you will ever find .

Steven
bencrafthats.com

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root said:
Well, I haven't heard from B!wear... I was waiting to hear from him about this... not a peep. I’m sure he’s very busy and hasn’t the time to work with me. He's welcomed to contact me if he's interested in replicating some of my originals.

I'm standing by.

=WR=

PS. B!wear, just send me a PM expressing your interest and I’d be happy to photograph and measure these caps if you desire.

Its kinda hard for Brett to contact you since he doesn't have any PM's privagles yet. He has only 8 posts. His email for you is ...

bwear@yosemite.net Brett Stiles owner.

Wild Root

Gone Home
besdor said:
I had the opportunity this week to see some of the caps made by Brett. As for quality , they are worth every penny . The sweatbands were leather, something that you don’t see anymore. The fabrics were very nice and the sewing was great. My only small objection was that they were very soft caps. I'm used to a cap that has slightly more body to it . I'm sure that Brett could change his shape a little if needed. Otherwise, the caps are as close to vintage as you will ever find.

Steven
bencrafthats.com

Well, this is good to hear. I'm happy to hear about the leather sweatbands, quality stitching and fabric. I'll be contacting B!wear soon.

I'll keep you all posted,
=WR=

SHARPETOYS said:
Its kinda hard for Brett to contact you since he doesn't have any PM's privagles yet. He has only 8 posts. His email for you is ...

bwear@yosemite.net Brett Stiles owner.

Oh... ooops! Hahaha... that's right! Well, thank you for the email link! I shall contact him soon!

=WR=

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
analogist said:
Not only does a fine fedora tickle my fancy (and I've been tickled many times) but a good cap is "comfort food" for the head.

Brett Stiles makes a really cool cap that is refreshing in many ways. The price is right, the look is sporty (I am so tempted to say they are amusing with overtones of roasted almonds and a hint of oak--but I won't) the fabrics are traditional to funky and all really feel good.

I have already gotten some for myself, my wife, and a couple of gifts and they all scored high marks. I also just received three cashmere tartan caps made from Johnston of Elgin, Scotland scarves which I sent Brett. They are normally really expensive but if any of you have ever been to the Sierra Trading Post website, they are available at a very proper price. The cashmere caps have everything going for them and are "cloud weight".

I have read the thread a few times as to whether they are vintage and IMHO they are; they are vintage 2006. A riff on the traditional can really be a good thing, and the item which must be an exact copy is a spare key.

A B!Wear cap will make your hat feel good and a conversation with its maker will make your head feel straight.

analogist

Do you write for J. Peterman??

analogist

One of the Regulars
My job at J. Peterman

You got me!!! I do indeed write for J. Peterman but under the name of Elaine Benis. It is a very difficult task working for the man who was at one time under the influence of Burmese YamYam and who hiked through the the foothills of the Pyrenese searching for the ideal Basque suspenders available in cadet, portly, regular and long sizes, $34.95

analogist

Wild Root

Gone Home
analogist said:
You got me!!! I do indeed write for J. Peterman but under the name of Elaine Benis. It is a very difficult task working for the man who was at one time under the influence of Burmese YamYam and who hiked through the the foothills of the Pyrenese searching for the ideal Basque suspenders available in cadet, portly, regular and long sizes, $34.95

analogist
Elaine Benis! lol lol lol

Classic!!!

=WR=

The real Henry

Practically Family
A kind of problem!?

My problem is that I love the look of vintage newsboy caps, but I can't find one that suits me! This is because I have, how can I can it, 'distant' ears.

So can anybody who is in the same situation give me advice?

BTW- Root I simply have to say this! You remind very much of the austrian swing singer Max Raabe:
2005-11-24-xl--051124_MaxRaabe_AP_145824_FRA509.jpg

222291,cover,284.jpg

Regards,
Henrik

Wild Root

Gone Home
I'm like you Henry, that's why I enjoy the old caps because they're really full bodied and balance out the look. I'm going to see if Brett wants to see about making some good copies of these old caps so, we'll see.

And thanks about the Max comment... I think he's a cool guy! Never have gotten that one before but, thanks!

=WR=

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Could someone possibly post a photo of the inside of their B!Wear cap with the smooth leather sweatband?
Thanks all.....

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hey All!

I just got my new B!wear caps in the mail and man are they sweet! Thanks to everyone who helped me choose them!

I was going to e-mail Brett and ask him this, but I figured I would just post it here so the info was here for ya'll.

Now that I have my caps...how do I best care for them? How do I wash em, clean the sweatband, and keep the wire from rusting out?

Thanks,

Jeff

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sweat band on my Newsboy...

It's the fabric sweatband (like a suede) and the black staining is coming out onto my forehead and turning me into a Racoon!! Yep!! BIG black stripe across my face [huh] I LOVE the B! Wear cap (and it was a gift from one of the Loungers here), but 'when' I go and order another one, it will be with the leather sweat. I also need to do a DIY with the sweatband of this current one (see pics).

beamish006-1.jpg

beamish013-1.jpg

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
floppiness

I had two B! wear caps in linen and tweed, but found them to be not "floppy" enough. Does anyone have a line on where I could find a slightly more full cap that's still tasteful?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Fu Manchu said:
I had two B! wear caps in linen and tweed, but found them to be not "floppy" enough. Does anyone have a line on where I could find a slightly more full cap that's still tasteful?

Hello Fumanchu,

Please go to the "Newsboy Caps" thread and take a look at the page before the last - I presented there my Bookster 8-panel, which could be what you want. Some comment was made in the following postings.

Regards!

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Paddy, that B!wear looks great on you. Fits you and the outfit perfectly.

I really like the flat, floppy look of that bookster. It's my personal favorite look when it comes to newsboys. I try to wear my Newsboy a bit high on the front and medium on the back of my head so it doesn't "poof" too much.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have a Hat People hat, and some observations on it. I'm sure someone will correct me if some or any of them are incorrect.

I was told by the gentleman that owns the company (the guy modeling the hats on the site) that they make their caps with material in the bill and not cardboard because thats the way it was done back in the day. That gives their caps' bills that authentic scruntchy look after a while. And the bill cant 'break,' something that has happened to at least one of my other caps. The cardboard actually broke and the side of the bill hangs at a sharper angle than the rest of it.

As for the snap, or lack thereof, I was told that early caps didnt have snaps. I dont know if this is true, but I also didnt like the fact that the cap's top material would ride back and not stay put over the bill. So I took some thread that matched the hat's color, and sewed the material down to the bill. Now it stays put and I like it very much.

As for the cap's actual structure - it doesn't have much, and thats the way I like my caps. I dont like when they have 'body' and stand up or stick out by themselves. I like that naturally rumpled look, and thats what this cap looks like right out of the box.

So, the only real disputable 'fact' here is the material in the brim. Does anyone have any info as to what is correct - material or cardboard, or most likely, either?

Canadave

One Too Many
bump

scottyrocks said:

So, the only real disputable 'fact' here is the material in the brim. Does anyone have any info as to what is correct - material or cardboard, or most likely, either?

Someone must know this answer...

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner