Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

b!wear Newsboy

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hey Everyone,

Just a quick question for any of you who have yourself a B! Wear newsboy cap.

I am about two order two caps and I am wondering if there is anything I should be aware of before ordering such as does the cap fit bigger once the brim is bent, or are there different options I could get?

Basically I am just looking for any details that you newsboy owners have noticed that might make me enjoy my hats better?

Thanks,

Jeff

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Normally, Brett makes his caps with one of the panels centered in the middle front. You might optionally request that a seam fall at the center mark, rather than a panel. Either is fine and traditionally correct.
You can also request a smooth leather sweat band. He includes a wire in the bill, which I like as it makes for easy shaping. But you can ask him to leave it out.

You'll find him very accommodating and fast turning it around. An A-1 hat maker.

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
You might optionally request that a seam fall at the center mark, rather than a panel. Either is fine and traditionally correct.

How does this change the look/fit of the hat?

Thanks

Barry

Practically Family
Speaking of BWear...

I have one of his caps and I love it.

I am planning on going to the next FL event in London. I'm going to make this my big vacation since I have not had a long vacation in several years.

After I tour London I'm going to go to Scotland for a bit and try to buy some Harris Tweed direct from the weavers and/or tweed shops. If a lot of folks are interested in particular tweeds I'd be willing to ship it all in bulk to Brett for caps. I believe it is sold by the metre but some shops/weavers require a minimum purchase, maybe 3+ meters.

I'll try and post a message with more details later in the Fall or Winter.

Barry

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
crazylegsmurphy said:
How does this change the look/fit of the hat?

Thanks

Hmmm.... interesting question. Mine has the seam centered, and I have a heavy downward curve in the bill. I expect a centered panel might make a tight curve harder to maintain. Otherwise, I think it's a simple matter of preference with no other considerations.

My next will be centered on a panel.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Normally, Brett makes his caps with one of the panels centered in the middle front. You might optionally request that a seam fall at the center mark, rather than a panel. Either is fine and traditionally correct.
You can also request a smooth leather sweat band. He includes a wire in the bill, which I like as it makes for easy shaping. But you can ask him to leave it out.

You'll find him very accommodating and fast turning it around. An A-1 hat maker.

Yeah! Just like he said.

They're great caps, and Brett is very accomodating.

Cheers!

Dan

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have pictures of both the middle seam and standard seam?

Also, do these hats tend to fit bigger or smaller, and does the size change when the brim is bent?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hennesy11.jpg

picture003resize7jh.jpg

XmasPhilsBdayKittensCap046.jpg

b_wear1.jpg

They run true to size/ Bill shaping does not affect fit.

YMMV

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I own three. One fit somewhat tightly, and the other two were dead on. There is a lot of stretch in them though.
Shaping the brim didn't change the fit, as far as I could tell.

jt_bwear002.jpg

Also, I think the suede sweatband is great. Very comfortable.

Joel

B! Wear Cap

New in Town
Fabrics

Barry and friends,
Thanks so much for the kind words and for your offer on the fabrics Barry. I thought I'd mention that I did once make a cap for a customer out of a scarf that he had purchased in Scotland. It was a tartan 4 1/2 feet long and one foot wide. Made of 100 % lamb's wool by a firm named Lochcarron. This might give you the option of buying more colors without having to buy the 3 meter requirement.
All the best,
Brett
B! Wear Cap

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Barry said:
After I tour London I'm going to go to Scotland for a bit and try to buy some Harris Tweed direct from the weavers and/or tweed shops. If a lot of folks are interested in particular tweeds I'd be willing to ship it all in bulk to Brett for caps. I believe it is sold by the metre but some shops/weavers require a minimum purchase, maybe 3+ meters.

I'm IN.

Great to see you Brett! You are missed here!

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
My B!Ware cap is a really nice shaped hat and I love it but it does have a design fault, I think.
The stud that attaches the body of the cap to the visor has a sharp edge that is cutting through the fabric even though I've only worn it a few times.
Anyone else had this problem with one ?
I raised the problem with B!Ware but he didn't seem to recognise what I meant.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Barry said:

Not to take anything from bWear but we carry authentic Harris Tweed Ivy and Newsboy caps made in the USA. We have a couple left over from last winter and our new delivery is expected around Sept. 1. We'll have at least six patterns.

This is the label in the cap, each with its own serial number.
HarrisTweedLogo.jpg

Bartenders, feel free to remove if this is considered a commercial post.

Michaelson

One Too Many
What kind of price are you asking for the Harris newboy version, Aaron? I couldn't find them on your website.

Regard! Michaelson

Speedster

Practically Family
B!Wear

I got my B!Wear in June. Highly recommendable. Due to the summer havn't worn it much though. Only problem is that i cannot bend the brim as much as i prefer as it then interfers with my glasses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari