Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B3s. Who's is the most accurate reproduction. The 'authenticity' factor.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Obviously due to winter coming on in some countries the subject of the B3 jacket looms large.
I have noticed a few comments about various companies and who makes the most authentic reproduction.
All the major replica makers get the details looking ok but the fact is; Instead of replying to the question with a plain and blunt "Eastman make the most accurate" or "Lost World make the most authentic" for example, can someone back up the statement and explain why that company make the best B3. Is it the fleece, stitching, collar snaps, zips, etc etc.
Can we keep this to B3s please. And no mall jackets with hand warmer pockets ;)
Cheers, J.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Having owned a large number of original B-3s over the years and many repro ones, the most accurate repros that I have owned are made by Eastman. I currently have their mixed batch Perry and the workmanship is top notch. All the small details, such as the buckles on the straps, the label and snaps, are correct. I know John Chapman makes great B-3 repros, but have never seen one in the flesh and besides living in the UK importing them from the USA with the weak pound is really prohibitive.

devilish

A-List Customer
The thing with the two heavy shearling jackets, Irvin and B3, is they have to be a loose fit. This is one case where the old adage of 'wartime fit=slim fit' isn't true. In order to be able to move in them you have to leave some room. Look at period photos. The arms and shoulders nearly always look at least a size too big.
As far as accuracy goes, if you can afford a Good Wear go for it but the Eastman is top of the tree too. Aswatland wouldn't recommend anything he wasn't happy with.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I guess historically this jacket was worn using a layering system of shirts, A2 leathers and whatever was meant to keep flyers warm so guess that is why arms have plenty of room at the shoulder. I just wear a T shirt with mine and find it easy to drive in, to hot to wear an A2 underneath but thats how they did it at 25,000ft. Guess it was like a flyers overcoat.

So what of the fleeces and finishes of past and present repro's? I have had a few over the years, the finish on Eastmans first Rough Wear was spot on, redskin is quite popular now and quite different to his first house jackets.

Anyone want to comment on various brand fleeces and finishes? I won't put in my opinions on these as I have only ever owned Eastman B3s or ANJ4 repro's.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Out of all the repro's I have seen the standard colours are the most common with redskins coming a close second. I have never seen a 'mixed batch' and only one white version. That one looked so dirty I would be worried about letting the dog sleep on it. Saw the white version at the old War & Peace show when it used to be at the Hop Farm but on an early weekday, was gone by the next day.

heron163

One of the Regulars
Lost Worlds B3 - I probably wore that jacket every day for five winters... it is now indistinguishable from an original.

it bordered on uncomfortably warm in even the coldest weather...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou