Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BAAAAAAAD Reenactment...stories/pics please

Speedster

Practically Family
Even in the old days soldiers came in different sizes. This is a photo from around 1898 (SpanAm War):

band-1.jpg

Although not frontline soldiers.

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Well as some one who reenacts 2 different eras :eek: 1630's Scotland and I'm in a 502nd unit during WW2.
Most of my bad reenacting stories are weather related.
I was with the 1630's group at a event in the 1st weekend in Oct. here in MN and we got an inch and a half of snow. What is the problem you say, well at that time I was just a pikeman so I did not have any weather and era correct boots. My feet were cold and wet, as it was early Oct. the snow did not last long but the cold did. The next day was warmer.

On the main gripe of this thread, I'm a bit off of the "ideal paratrooper" but I'm working on it.
The WW2 unit I'm in we are one of the few that dose PT in morning at events.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
There used to be this German reenactor at events.... he was legendary. In the days before cheap, available German uniforms he had his custom made and the very next event the damn thing was straining on him.
He would go into the field with back packs full of food. He actually went on a tactical event with a wheel of cheese in his pack. A. Wheel. Of. Cheese.
Then he went and got a sex change... no more German reenactment after that :(

At one of my favorite events there is a German 30 Years War reenactor; he is dressed period correct with lots of yellow and feathers. We call him "Big Bird" because, by gods, that's what he looks like. He's there every year with his troop. He must top 400 pounds, at least. It's quite a sight.

I did see a US paratrooper once, HUGE. Like 350 huge. He had two (2) Cartridge belts linked together around his waist. And he rode in a Jeep the entire event.

There is one German Paratrooper who was as big if not bigger than the guy in the OP. He was a nice guy, so I will not make fun of him and he did try his best to do everything. Attitude goes an awful long way in this hobby and this guy had it, despite his size.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Speedster said:
Even in the old days soldiers came in different sizes. This is a photo from around 1898 (SpanAm War):

band-1.jpg

Although not frontline soldiers.

Isn't that Teddy Roosevelt front second from right?

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I did WW2 reenacting back around 1990,and at that time,there were no repro uniforms or gear for the Allied guys. The really big guys were just out of luck,or they went to the German side,where 'plus-sized' repop uniforms were available. I remember more than a few 'Sgt Schultzs'lol We all wore original uniforms,and large sizes were costly.
I went over to CW reenacting a few years back,and my age has made me think I should really think about calling it quits. I will say,I think an older,slim guy looks better than a young,heavy one, but my major gripe is why do all the older CW reenactors think a big white beard looks 'civil war'? We look like an encampment of the GAR out there. I'm the shortest,smallest guy in my unit,and I'm the only one that wears 'issue' size uniforms (There were basically four issue sizes for federal CW uniforms)

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Aha Kilroy! I see your photo is from "Biggin on the Bump" ;)

Very good book, by coincidence I was thumbing through my copy today.
OT - Yes, it is a very good book. I bought my copy in September 1990, when I was in the UK for the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. It's signed by the author (Bob Ogley) as well as 74 Sqn pilot Henryk Szczesny, aka "Henry the Pole".

p51

One Too Many
I don’t give people as much grief over age and weight than others do. Age you can do nothing about. Weight, more so, but I know people with real gland issues who eat like birds but are massive. Who am I to tell them they don’t have the right to dress up in historical uniforms? I have no more right to do that than anyone else!
But as for me, I TOTALLY looked the part when I got into WW2. I was 19 at the time and skinny as a rail (about 5’11” and around 140 or so pounds). I just turned 40 a few days ago and while I’m not obese, I am much larger than I was today (around 6 foot and 195). I’m thinner than many re-enactors, but much thicker than the average soldier. These days, my main focus is on doing a War Correspondent impression. That allows me more latitude in age and condition as the years pack on, as well as not needing to run around at tactical events (had enough of that on active duty anyway).
Here are some recent shot of me to get an idea:
LeeWarCoOly09-1.jpg

MeInACU.jpg

WarCoClassAStand.jpg

One thing that always irked me was my hat size. I have a massive melon. Thank God my body finally grew into it so I didn’t look so odd. When I was building up my Spanish-American war “Rough Rider” cavalry officer impression, I learned that campaign hats were never made in my size. I also know that most German helmets never came in my size as well, but I never was into doing a German impression anyway. So I guess that’s why I’m more tolerant of the size issue than some.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
The size debate could go on forever. Whatever your personal view, it's never going to change as it's not real life but a hobby.

I'm a hefty lass but when I got into this I was skinny as a lat! However, all of my uniform is original as are my civilian clothes.

Here is a photo from 1942 of a British civilian...

AuntLiz-1.jpg

And me in my original WVS uniform for an event in Nottingham commemorating their meals on wheels event.

katenottingham.jpg

But despite this, I still get negative comments from some who think that everyone was superskinny which simply is a lie. If people in 50 years time look at Vogue won't they all believe we had eating disorders?

Just a thought.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
First of all, I generally believe people should be able to do what they feel like doing.

If running round in uniforms portraying soldiers from the past, is you thing - by all means do it. No matter how old or wellfed you are.

Reenacting isn't a big thing in Denmark - not to my knowledge at least.
And even if it were, I would never ever do it.

First of all my self-esteem would stop me from doing it. I just do not look right. I am neither young, skinny or atlethic enough to honour those brave, young men.

Secondly: I don't like playing war. I did my time in the national service - that must be enough.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good Reenactment

Reenacting in Boston on Veterans Day 2009 based on the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry during the American Civil War. The 54th was one of the first formal units of the U.S. Army to be made up entirely of African-American men (apart from some the officers).

9feec14f.jpg

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
Kitty_Sheridan said:
The size debate could go on forever. Whatever your personal view, it's never going to change as it's not real life but a hobby.

I'm a hefty lass but when I got into this I was skinny as a lat! However, all of my uniform is original as are my civilian clothes.

Here is a photo from 1942 of a British civilian...

AuntLiz-1.jpg

And me in my original WVS uniform for an event in Nottingham commemorating their meals on wheels event.

katenottingham.jpg

But despite this, I still get negative comments from some who think that everyone was superskinny which simply is a lie. If people in 50 years time look at Vogue won't they all believe we had eating disorders?

Just a thought.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ukali1066

Practically Family
Kitty you look gorgeous.... women should be voluptuous in my world :)

Some funny stories, thanks for the contributions...

Incase some of you are thinking "who's that skinny hairy weight Nazi think he is criticizing the overweight" my reason for the thread was people portraying the Elite of frontline troops who couldn't even run upstairs to the toilet !

I always found it humourous yet also an insult to real veterans

Yet at the other end of the scale you have people like Kilroy and Kitty who've found their niche in the reenacting world and are a credit to it...

People just need to put themselves where they LOOK suitable and all is well...

MPicciotto

Practically Family
A member of our Air Corps group does both. The real thing and now he reenacts. Well actually he's most often seen in increasingly high ranking uniforms from both sides of the conflict. Last event Col. Shawn was at he was dressed like General Mitchell, just a little earlier uniform then we normally have at our events but he did pull it off very well.

Matt

Gene

Practically Family
Everyone here can talk about age and weight until they are blue in the face, but the fact of the matter is, the average reenactor is going to be heavier and older than the average GI in WWII. It's just a fact we are going to have to live with, or at least until we can instate a reenacting draft and get a bunch of younger guys in. Yes, there are period photos of larger guys, but this is the exception and not the rule, and reenactors love to talk about being the rule and no the exception.

I myself am 25 and just a couple years away from exceeding the maximum age limit for enlistment in the Army Air Force, which makes me pretty sad.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^^

You have a ways to go except for Air Force what is keeping you??

* Active duty Army - 42
* Army Reserves - 42
* Army National Guard - 42
* Active duty Air Force - 27
* Air Force Reserve - 34
* Air National guard - 34
* Active duty Navy - 34
* Navy Reserves - 39
* Active duty Marines - 28
* Marine Corps Reserves - 29
* Active duty Coast Guard - 27
* Coast Guard Reserves - 27

Age waivers are possible for those with prior military service.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I believe if you served in any branch you can wear anything you want. You earned that right. Not dogging anyone who didn't I didn't serve and I re-enacted for years. I remember our unit had "Standards" which I thought was OK considering we were an AB Div. I remember a guy in our unit who griped about having to live up to our standards. It was not that he couldn't make the grade because he did. It was the fact he was a real Paratrooper who was at Grenada and was shot at. He earned the right to our wear uniform and I didn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo