Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baby it's (not) cold outside

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
PrettySquareGal said:
So now that winter is mostly over and I've gone broke from my winter oil heating bill (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=24322&highlight=baby+cold+outside), I'm trying to figure out how to best manage summer air conditioning.

Does anyone have experience with using a portable air conditioner as opposed to a window unit? I see the newer indoor portable units don't need to have the water dumped but instead it gets recycled. I'm looking for the most efficient and effective way to keep cool, and also the least noisy! The new window unit I bought last year is advertised as "whisper quiet." Yeah, like 23,456 people whispering. Hmph.

Any suggestions?

(I rent my house so installing central air is not an option).

i grew up in southern california and have never had any sort of air conditioner, but here are a few non-air conditioner cooling down tips. :) i'm sure people have other ones as well...
- identify spots where you can direct air through the house with fans
- keep blinds closed during the morning and open things up at night.
- wear less clothing in the house
- drink lots of cold water!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
got 2 inches of snow here the other day :eek:
i suggest opening all your windows...or getting a swamp cooler ;)
in your car too...even though it reduces gas mileage...its very minimal though...

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Cool. :) And thanks. But I'm definitely going to be using a/c, it's just a question of which is the best unit out there is anyone knows. Even in Maine we have days that are above 80 complete with air quality warnings. I like that new a/c units have air filters to help with that. The thermal curtains I bought this winter will work great for keeping the sun out to reduce the heat inside to help keep power usage down.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Winter over? According to the calendar, yep, it's been spring for a month and two days...but Seattle's gotten snow as recently as YESTERDAY...at least here in the suburban foothills (roughly 500').

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Cold lettuce leaf worn on top of the head under a straw hat.
Wasn't this in a wretched old horror,(comedy) movie? lol "Plan 9 from Outer Space" maybe?
I remember a dude that had been zombified by alien invaders and forced to wear a lettuce leaf on the back of his neck. Uhhmmm,..for some weird reason. I assume to distinguish him from the rest of us normal non-alien possessed humans.
He was always trying to call some guy named "Zontar" on Venus via a short wave radio. :D

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
Winter over? According to the calendar, yep, it's been spring for a month and two days...but Seattle's gotten snow as recently as YESTERDAY...at least here in the suburban foothills (roughly 500').

same here at 2800'...

Hondo

One Too Many
Feels like spring time, allergy season is here (Ah-choo!)
cold one day, then warm the next (low 80s) Spring is here!
I hated those window mounted A/C as they were nice, cool air,
but loud and gave me a head ache.

Nice title for this thread, I was just thinking about that song.
Baby its cold outside, who was it first Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra,
And Doris Day? I enjoyed that girl in ELF movie singing it, sweet

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Winter gone? HA....HA I say! I woke up this morning to snow on the ground, winter still has its cold steely grip firmly on us and I doubt it will go down without a fight!

carebear

It was in the 40's 3 days ago. 90% of the melt-off was done.

Yesterday morning the snow started and we ended up with over a foot in <24 hours.

Of course all the snow-removal equipment had been warehoused and the street-cleaners brought out.

:eusa_doh:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
It was in the 40's 3 days ago. 90% of the melt-off was done.

Yesterday morning the snow started and we ended up with over a foot in <24 hours.

Of course all the snow-removal equipment had been warehoused and the street-cleaners brought out.

:eusa_doh:

That. Rots. Seriously. I'm kind of thinking that can happen here. In May. It's happened before!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
rebelgtp said:
Winter gone? HA....HA I say! I woke up this morning to snow on the ground, winter still has its cold steely grip firmly on us and I doubt it will go down without a fight!

no kidding...same here...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I believe the flaw in the logic of the ice cube theory is that you'll still use electricity making the cubes. As far as the portable a/c units, my recollection is that the portables are decidedly less energy efficient.
In my new place in Da Bronx, where I finally moved last Thursday, they have a fairly old circa 1939 heating system. The result is that the other night, when it was 50 degrees outside, but extremely warm inside, the heat just came POURING out of the radiator. The valves have obviously not been touched in decades, so I couldn't turn them off. For a while I had the a/c blasting, with the windows open at the same time. Luckily the heat finally went off. I guess I'll have to have a plumber in some time this summer to address that.

carebear

dhermann1 said:
I believe the flaw in the logic of the ice cube theory is that you'll still use electricity making the cubes. As far as the portable a/c units, my recollection is that the portables are decidedly less energy efficient.

Steal the ice from a neighbor or buy a bag at the store. :D

Actually, your freezer runs 24/7 at a constant temperature whether you are freezing water or not. Water for homes up here is not metered but is a flat rate.

Making ice is basically a sunken cost already, with a homemade swamp cooler, you are also humidifying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy