Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baby Names? Vintage?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Really interesting names ...

Samsa said:
... I like some of the more rare Old Testament names.

My mother-in-law's maiden name was Vashti Dulin (as in Queen Vasthi in the Bible). My father-in-law is Theophilis Walton Clapp, Jr.

Both interesting names till you consider my mother-in-law's name after marriage - Vashti Dulin Clapp - not too bad till you see her initials V.D. Clapp. :eek: She was a good sport about her unusual name, especially since she worked in a hospital. :D

TessTrueheart

zaika said:
going back a little farther in my family tree...clara, otto, bertha, mabel, albert, wilhemina, charlotte, ole, nilmer and...magnus. i love that one!

also, i love the fact that my grandma's uncle was named axel. lol

Ole, Magnus and Axel? Scandinavian ancestry, Zaika?

Foofoogal

Banned
I had an aunt Ola Mae, uncle hershel, have an aunt Delores, dad was Lewis Radford,
other names in family are Radley, Ashley,
When I think of a very old name I think of Opal.

zaika

One Too Many
TessTrueheart said:
Ole, Magnus and Axel? Scandinavian ancestry, Zaika?

lol. oh yes!

my grandmother's grandfather (Ole) was born in Krodsherad, Norway, i know that for sure. and my grandfather's father (Magnus) was born in Sweden, but i don't quite remember where. and since then they all pretty much married and stayed within the Scandinavian/Lutheran communities in Minnesota.

heck, we still have lefse, potatis korv and krumkake for various holidays. lol

lyburnum

Practically Family
My name is Ximena, which sounds even weirder when you try and say it (I made Fleur say it how she thought it sounded before I gave her the proper pronunciation when we first met lol) It's actually said She-Men-ah. Or something like that, it's pretty impossible to spell it phonetically correctly. It's a Spanish name, but my parents aren't Spanish, and have never lived in Spain. My Dad is just interested in Spanish history and I'm named after the wife of El Cid. My surname once I get married in a few weeks will be Trunoske, so no one is every going to be able to say my name correctly ever again!

I actually have a love affair with unusual names. My sister is Angharad, which is Welsh, not as unusual as my name but certainly not common place.

If I do ever have kids names I love are Niamh, Wednesday, Ry & Friday. Probably a good thing I'll never have children :rolleyes: I think the name Lorelei is gorgeous though. Anything a bit different I'm a fan of.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My favourite name is Lillian. That was my grandmother's name (1901-1972). I also had an Aunt Lillian on my mom's side. She died when I was 10 years old, but I hear stories about how fascinating she was. She never married, never had kids, traveled the world, and had all kinds of expensive jewelry.

I also like Jane, Ginger, Donna, Irene, Linda, Barbara, and Clarine. My name is a boring 70s hippie name :rolleyes:

I don't think I have a favourite boys name. I used to like Leonard, but have since met a gross person with that name so now I don't like it anymore [huh]

zaika

One Too Many
Amy Jeanne said:
I don't think I have a favourite boys name. I used to like Leonard, but have since met a gross person with that name so now I don't like it anymore [huh]

that's too bad! my grandma's boyfriend is named Leonard.

he's sweet. ;)

millbrookmusic

Familiar Face
My Dad is Martin LeRoy (which I think would be a great stagename if you out the accent on the Roy as in "leh-ROY". My Estonian/Swedish mother's name is Selma which I've come to love over the years (the name I mean. I've always loved my mother).

I'm on the verge of getting married now and am thinking about a family so baby names are on the front of my mind. I'm pretty partial to Biblical names like Josiah or Elijah or maybe even Moses but hey - alot of Latin folks name their children "Jesus". :)

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 said:
Lorelei (the correct spelling) is indeed an old name, the Lorelei are the sirens in the river Rhone that lure sailors to their deaths (great Rogers and Hart 30s song, "The Lorelei" includes the line "I want to bite my initials on a sailor's neck").

I just pity those poor kids whose parents take a perfectly good name and mess up the spelling with y's to make it interesting, and then their whole lives they have to spell it for people! Makayla isn't so bad, it's actually Swahili I think... but Cadynce? Is that supposed to be like the word cadence? Huh?

Bad enough to have no H on Sara, nobody ever gets it (I was also the only Sara of either spelling for miles around growing up), but if I had been a boy, I was supposed to be Solomon! Solomon Klotz! What could be worse!

Why they didn't name me after my grandma (Blossom) is a mystery, I would have loved that. And she had a cousing named Hazel, that wouldn't have been bad either...

In England if you name is Sara it's pronounced differently to Sarah.

My grandparent's names: Kathleen, Patrick, Michael and Margaret.

My parent's names are Suzanne and Michael.
My name is Nikki and I like it.

The names I like.. Jane, Jade, Alice, Dottie, Henry, Edward to name a few.

I used to like Chloe but since met a Chloe I really don't like and all of a sudden that name isn't the same for me, and I used to like Zak but i'm not keen on it anymore for reasons I don't know.

When I have children if I have a girl the middle name will be Suzanne and for a boy the middle name will be Michael. After my parents (and also my boyfriend's dad's nameis Michael too).

Miss Sis

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
But we'll really know the vintage names are making a comeback when we start seeing little girls named Gladys.

My Great Grandmother was a Gladys, but my Great Granddad always called her 'Glad'. Boy am I glad I wasn't named after her! Sorry, but it's certainly not my cup of tea.

My Nana was Grace. Now fashionable again, my cousin named her oldest daughter after our Nana. When I was born my Nana vetoed calling me Grace as she said she had hated it all her life! (She was named after a great Aunt and thought it horridly Victorian)

My Mother is Gail. She also doesn't like her name! The story is she was born in a storm, so the gardener at the private hospital told my Nana she had to be called Gail. I'm not sure how much of this tale is true, but it makes a good story.

When it came to me, my Mother changed tack, didn't name me after anyone and I didn't get a 'G' name either. I'm Simone, pronounced Si - mon (the French way) Marie. Two French names and no French blood.

As a child I found it hard work but now I like it. People always mis-pronouce it but it isn't too strange.

As for vintage names, I'm afraid I prefer the very normal ones like Jane, Emma, Charlotte, Elizabeth, Andrew, James etc than some of the more, errrr, unusual ones.

Rachael

A-List Customer
my mother had 10 aunts and uncles, so the family tree reads like a 'best of' list. they were all born between 1888-1910:

Gertrude (Gert), Emma, Mildred, Bud(Joseph), Hiram, Muriel, William, Silas, Elizabeth, Irene, and Florence.

On my father's side, both his mother and his aunt (Grandpa's sister) were named Mildred. None of us thought there should be more than three Mildreds in the family tree.

There was a tradition on my father's side to name the oldest son Charles, with the the maternal grandfather as the middle name. (Silas, Ernest, Ira) The tradition ended with my generation because my dad is an only and we are all girls. So my middle name is Charles. Thanks dad.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Everyone in my extended family has pretty classic names. There's Colin, Shannon, Fiona, Owen (can you tell we are Irish?), Suzanne, Thomas and John Connor. And my name is Meredith.

The names I'm in love with for my future kids if I have any are Isabel, Clara and Jack. Nice and simple. I was actually supposed to be named Isabel Jack after my great-grandmother (Jack is a traditional Scottish middle name for women), but my mom had to go and name me Meredith Jane instead! I'm also annoyed that my mom didn't name me after her mother. I would have made a great Frances!

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Here's a wierd family name (I use the term family loosly, I loath the father of this child, my "uncle"), he called one of his kids biba jack for a girl. Biba is pronounce Beeba.

fishmeok

Vendor
zaika said:
lol. oh yes!

my grandmother's grandfather (Ole) was born in Krodsherad, Norway, i know that for sure. and my grandfather's father (Magnus) was born in Sweden, but i don't quite remember where. and since then they all pretty much married and stayed within the Scandinavian/Lutheran communities in Minnesota.

heck, we still have lefse, potatis korv and krumkake for various holidays. lol

ARRGH- I married one of you people, it's hard not to in Minnesota.;) My wife is 2nd generation Minnesota Norwegian farmer, though she grew up in the city. Had Lefsa for the first time a few years ago, potato tortillas make no sense to a nice French-Canadian boy like me...

We are currently trying to find a name for the new boy arriving this October. We have a bunch of family names, which is the way I want to go, but nothing we are happy with. These include Selmer, Selvin, Eugene, Floyd, Archer, Clarence, Abraham (provided some of land for the fist Lutheran Church in little Canada, now part of St Paul), Anders, Louis, Eustache (emigrated to French Canada in 1640), Modeste etc...

I kind of like Sidney, but people tell me it's a girls name these days.[huh]

Cheers
Mark

Flivver

Practically Family
I've always found trends in first names across time to be interesting.

A friend once showed me a great website that graphed the popularity of each name over time. I couldn't find that website in a search, but here's a pretty interesting one that allows you to see the most popular baby names for any decade or year:

http://www.weddingvendors.com/baby-names/popular/

Rufus

Practically Family
I spent my whole childhood hating my name... Rufus, then when I was finally old enough to change it, I couldn't think of anything better... aaargh.

School can be very .. 'challenging', when every other bugger is John, James etc.
It did teach me to stand up for myself mentally, and physically though.

I've never met another Rufus, although my writer Alan has just named his son Rufus, and I hope to meet the wee fella soon.

Oh... and yes, of course... I've met a few dogs called Rufus, oddly enough ... ;-) woof woof etc. etc.

Ruf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff