Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baby Names? Vintage?

As for the lineage

Great-Grandpa, Mike (Edna), Grandpa, Mike (Betty), Dad, Tom(April), Me, Tom (There's also an uncle and cousin Mike)

Great-Grandpa Raymond (can't remember great-grandma's name) Grandpa Larry (Bernice) Mom, April (Tom), also have an uncle Larry.

As you can tell, there's a lot of habit in both sides....

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
Well, my name is Casey. Not exactly anything special or extravagant, my mother picked the name so she could use it whether I was a boy or a girl.

I named my daughter Daliah Vera Corrine. Two very classic middle names. Everyone gets her first name awfully wrong, though. It's like Dahlia, only pronounced differently because I don't like the way people around here say it. Now I sit arounf and wonder what kind of torture my kid's going to be put through learning how to spell all that crap and correcting people ehr whole life, but I thought it was worth it for her to have beautiful, feminine, classic names.

I have a vintage/traditional name : Sarah Yvonne (Yvonne being my middle name) after my grandmother who is a Charlotte Yvonne. Even though I'm not fond of alot of modern names, my problem with them is that people dont name their children for meaning anymore. No one really considers the meaning-significance or origin of the names their giving to their kids and thats horrible. I've always liked the names Charlotte, Pheobe, Giulia and Sarah for girls and for boys: Henry, Tristian, and Christian. :D

Incorporeal13 said:
Well, my name is Casey. Not exactly anything special or extravagant, my mother picked the name so she could use it whether I was a boy or a girl.

I named my daughter Daliah Vera Corrine. Two very classic middle names. Everyone gets her first name awfully wrong, though. It's like Dahlia, only pronounced differently because I don't like the way people around here say it. Now I sit arounf and wonder what kind of torture my kid's going to be put through learning how to spell all that crap and correcting people ehr whole life, but I thought it was worth it for her to have beautiful, feminine, classic names.

I like it! I knew a Daliah in school and no one got it right either.

Coralee

New in Town
Well I guess I'll add my bit to this bunch.

My parents named me Coralee Marie because my Mom used to listen to a song called Coralee and always loved it.

My brother was Leon Joseph because it was the only name our parents could agree on.

Parents: Albert Joseph (after one of his uncles) and Ruby Marie (after her great-grandmother)

Grandparents: Wilson "Rory" (no middle name and no idea how he ended up with Rory as nickname) and Rita Josephine + John Bernard and Mary Thelma.

Too many aunts, uncles and cousins to go into at this point. Maybe a future po0st.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Here's the five generations..it's ridiculous. All are Anne+middle name, cause the internets, they can trace people!
1. Anne Carroll (myself)
2. Anne Donahue (my 2nd cousin, mother's first cousin)
3. Anne Elizabeth (grandmother)
4. Anne Mary (great-grandmother)
5. Anne Malloy (great-great grandmother)

The reason that my mother isn't an Anne is the source of great turmoil within our family. One of my grandmother's sisters "stole" their mother's name for her daughter....and AE didn't want to have two Annes in the same generation. Therefore.... my mother is Elizabeth Mary. My grandmother basically used her own middle name and her mother's as well to make sure that HER daughter still got a "family" name.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My grandparents were Harvey Paul + Ruth Lois (known as Ruthie) and Harold (known as Whitey) and Irene (known as Renee) and when Irene was widowed she fell in love again some years later and married, actually, another Harold, which weirded her out some, but fate is funny.

It's traditional in my family to name after the departed, at least with the first initial in English, so I want to name a girl an R name for both my grandmothers, and a boy with at least one H or P initial.

I don't know about using Harold or Harvey as names though but I think neither Ruth nor Irene sound dated in a bad way.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Really? Heh, that's so awesome. They really are classic names that sort of play well with other names, you know?

I mean there are cool names out there that still set a certain tone and don't work with everything else ever, if that makes sense. (it did in my head!)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My mother still says that it occurred to her about a month after my sister (who is now 23) was born, she should have named her Beatrice rather than what she actually named her, Amanda.

I think Beatrice/Beatriz are rather classic.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
My husband's been able to trace his family back to his great-great-great grandfather (who was born in 1818). They have some interesting names in his family.

Men:

Meredith
Ephriam
Wiliam (yes, one "L")
Edward
George
John
Columbus (Lum)
Herman
Archie Lloyd
Leslie
Louis
Uel
Levi
Clarence
Oliver (Ollie)
Roy
Burl (cousin)
Chester
Cecil
Manuel

Women:

Mahala
Nancy
Sarah Jane
Lillie May
Cansadia
Bertha
Ella
Laura
Luvena

There are all sorts of strange nicknames (Aunt Toots, for one) in the family as well.

My family has a mix of "ethnic" (Norwegian) and vintage names.

Robert Thomas (there are three of them)
Cyril George
Trygve
Norman
Sigurd
Nickolai
Erna Margarethe (my gran, who I am named after)
Martha
Bernt
Beverlee Su
Martha Ann
Patricia Lorraine
Eileen
Doris
Frank
Carolyn
Fred

We've decided on a few names if we ever have children. The son would be named after hubby's grandpa Columbus (Lum). The daughter would be named after his grandma and my mom (Lillian Su). We have backup names, too. :)

HungaryTom

One Too Many
WIKI

wikileaks.jpg

charminglane

New in Town
Helen Elizabeth (After deceased Mother of my Father) Anne (confirmation name, after Grandmother on Mother's side)

Three generations of Walter James'.

Pearl, Bertha and Winifred in my tree!

BoPeep

Practically Family
On my dad's mother's side (which was German/Irish), there was Collette, Herbert, Norbert, Olive, Camilla, and Letitia Ann.

Taken from my husband's father's side, we named our two children Regina Rose and Augustus Martin.

Last edited:

Xavier_Godshore

Familiar Face
My family has a nice collection of fun vintage names:

Boys:
Garland
Roscoe
Leroy (my dad)
Rube
Delbert
Alfons

And though it's not in my family, I've fallen in love with the name 'Gwynplaine' after watching 'The Man Who Laughs' but I don't think I can convince my wife to name a boy that. I also love 'Orson', a la that Citizen Kane guy ;)

Girls:
Polly
Selma (my mum)
Ethel
Sophia
Ruth
Marva

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member