Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back to School

Edward

Bartender
That's the real shame of it getting ever more expensive to go to University: over here, it's fast becoming something a lot of folks can't afford, and those who can are thinking in terms of economic benefit. I find fewer and fewer students there for the opportunity simply to study at that level and expand their minds. Understandable, but sad. I actively loathe students who are only interested in passing an exam to increase their chances of getting the high paying job - the longer I am in education, the more convinced I become that it is greatly to be regretted that anyone should come to study with that their sole aim.

Unlike teachers, those of us in third level academia aren't on holiday over the Summer - we write, we do admin, we plan next year's classes, we do research..... sometimes I'm so busy in the Summer I'm glad of term starting again to get a breather. lol Actually, the teaching is the side of my job that I enjoy the most, so a new academic year is always welcome. I've never gotten away from thinking in academic years - the calendar year is largely meaningless to me.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
J B said:
I go back on August 30th, and I'm actually not too enthusiastic. The fact of the matter is, I'm taking my first college mathematics course, an advanced algebra class. Mathematics has always taken me quite a while to actually learn new concepts, though my grades have been good.

I'm a history enthusiast first and foremost. I intend to pursue a degree in either general history, classics, or archaeology, as I feel as if these subjects will be relatively easy for me, due to the fact that I am actually motivated.
and architecture; science, astronomy, philosophy.

Delve inside your own self, heart and soul; and know that the quality of
a man's life atrributes not fate, but his own pursuit of excellence. :)

Mav

A-List Customer
dhermann1 said:
Well, even tho it's . . . uhhh . . . many decades since I was in school, the approach of that momentous day still has a deep emotional impact on me.
Tho it has no actual effect on my life, I hate the whole idea of the "end of summer".
Please compare and contrast.
Same here. I despised school, from the first day of Kindergarten to the last day of college, and even today, I get a knot in my stomach whenever it's mentioned.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
That's the real shame of it getting ever more expensive to go to University: over here, it's fast becoming something a lot of folks can't afford, and those who can are thinking in terms of economic benefit. I find fewer and fewer students there for the opportunity simply to study at that level and expand their minds. Understandable, but sad. I actively loathe students who are only interested in passing an exam to increase their chances of getting the high paying job - the longer I am in education, the more convinced I become that it is greatly to be regretted that anyone should come to study with that their sole aim.

Here in the U.S., a lot of states (maybe all) have laws requiring a degree to be a PE (professional engineer), CPA (certified public accountant), and I'm sure, to get certifications in quite a few other professions. To my way of thinking, those certifications should be open to anyone who has the required professional experience and can pass the exam. It would save everyone a lot of time, money and aggravation.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm a university librarian. The summer is great, because I have a chance to catch up on projects that can't take priority while the students are here. Still, the first day of classes (today) is always exciting. Seems like a chance to start fresh. It also means fall is soon approaching, and I can break out the leather and tweed.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Back to school also means college football is right around the corner. In southern California that does not mean trees bedecked in fall foliage, a crisp tang in the air, fans and alumni bundled up in coats and mufflers and so on in their school colors. Generally, we wear t-shirts and baseball caps with school colors...

Foofoogal

Banned
:eek:fftopic: Annie, do you know when I suggested the 6 mo. on the Swirl? Someone deleted alot of the thread so I cannot figure out when I stated I would send it to you if it did not sell. Sandy
PM me (your address) and let me know your size and I will throw in a slip if I have one which I have many. Surely it has been 6 mo. by now?
http://www.tias.com/7617/PictPage/3923762715.html
Maybe this will make you feel better about school a bit. Hang in there. Education is everything in this life. :)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Well, since I'm going to school online and the school I work for is a for-profit school that goes year-round by quarters instead of semesters, the main things back-to-school means to me are:

1. Dreading getting stuck behind a school bus on a winding two-lane road;

2. The horrifying realization that autumn is almost upon us, and that is followed by winter. :eek: Why is it that winter always seems like it lasts twice as long as the other seasons? :rage:

3. The loss of light in the morning, and later on, the evenings.

4. More comfortable temperatures (for a little while, anyway.)

I think I'll stop now. This is getting too depressing. :(

Cheers,
Tom

D

Deleted member 12480

doesn't anyone welcome the thought of firing up the heating and going out in your 'woolies'? :')

xxx

Derek WC

Banned
I personally cannot wait 'till school starts (two days). Finally an excuse to wear a suit every day. Winter is most definitely the most wonderful time of year.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
Teacher; so I feel like I have a purpose again, even though life is about to get crazy. AND I can put away the clothes that make me look like a teenager (something about summer clothes just doesn't feel structured and mature) and get back into tights and tweed again.

The one year I didn't have a secure job/wasn't in school anymore, I actually got depressed for the opposite reason as the rest of you...school was starting with out me! THE HORROR! :p

And oh yes, school supplies. Fin.

Sweet Caroline

New in Town
Ah starting school... bittersweet for me. I don't really like doing the actual work but I do do get tired of having no structure in my day and trying to think of new things to do. I made all these grand plans for this summer... looking back, I didn't really accomplish anything so might as well go learn lol

Heather

Practically Family
I'm glad you mentioned this. I feel like a bit of a freak but I'm definitely looking forward to the cooler weather! I'm especially looking forward to cranking that first woodstove fire! I just love fall!! :D So cozy....

My 7 year old went back to school today. 2nd grade....:eek: Next year my other daughter will be starting pre-school. Where does the time go?! [huh]

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I have mixed feelings on the subject. It makes me sad that summer ends, so abruptly it seems. I like the smell of the crisp cool weather though. I don't want school to start, I really dislike math, though I like history. One perk is that all the school kids are back in school and I won't have to worry about herds of them hanging about (I homeschool).
I suppose all the pros and cons even out, seeing back to school signs still makes me depressed though.

Roxy

Familiar Face
My eldest started kindergarten today. I just got back from dropping him off. :eek: It was much harder for me than it was for him. He seems to have already made friends and didn't even look back when they walked off to class. (Deep breath) He's so big now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner