Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backyard barbeques - 'member them?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Grillin'

Hi

We owned several grills, and used them regularly. My favorite was a monthly neighborhood event where my old boss (an electrician) burned his wood pallets and we cooked hot dogs over the fire. Hot dogs, then marshmallows.

In college I bought a really small grill for $2.00 (1980) and we cooked BBQ chicken weekly at a minimum, even in the snow.

I now own a huge Coleman gas grill.

Later

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Had a charcoal barbie on Saturday night.
A couple of cheap chunks of pork, sliced with some fresh garlic oil on top.
Peppers, haloumi, asparagus...
Accompanied by feta cheese, salad and tsatziki...
MmmmmMmmmmm...

The BBQs of my childhood in NZ consisted typically of sausages, steaks
and potato salad.

I wonder if Smithy's were much different.

B
T

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Had a charcoal barbie on Saturday night.
A couple of cheap chunks of pork, sliced with some fresh garlic oil on top.
Peppers, haloumi, asparagus...
Accompanied by feta cheese, salad and tsatziki...
MmmmmMmmmmm...

and potato salad.

B
T

Nope, apart from the odd lamb chop as well.

I like the sounds of that barbie of yours.

shopgirl61 said:
John in Covina said:
When things are going well I like to do a Fedora Lounge Backyard BBQ. Hope to do so this year when the job situation reverses. QUOTE]

John, i'm counting on an invite if you do :eusa_clap

OKey Dokey! I am hoping to retify the job thing very soon. Keep an eye on the events section as Californians tend to post all sorts of stuff.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
A gas grill's fine where the higher temperature isn't going to overcook or dry out the meat before it cooks through. Things like burgers & hot dogs & steaks, most vegetables...

But Webers are fantastic for lots of things - especially if it needs to be cooked low & slow, temperaturewise, with ribs, chicken and brisket being those that immediately leap to mind. Salmon's better, too. You just can't do those types of things right on a gas grill.

Grilling over well seasoned wood's great as well - we do about 400+ dinners a weekend out at the theater, and that's our own grown & harvested alder...and as you can see, it's mostly steak and salmon. I think we only had to do 15-20 chicken breasts all season last year (8 weeks).
IMG_3571.jpg
Perfect!!! :eusa_clap

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Mike in Seattle said:
A gas grill's fine where the higher temperature isn't going to overcook or dry out the meat before it cooks through. Things like burgers & hot dogs & steaks, most vegetables...

But Webers are fantastic for lots of things - especially if it needs to be cooked low & slow, temperaturewise, with ribs, chicken and brisket being those that immediately leap to mind. Salmon's better, too. You just can't do those types of things right on a gas grill.

Grilling over well seasoned wood's great as well - we do about 400+ dinners a weekend out at the theater, and that's our own grown & harvested alder...and as you can see, it's mostly steak and salmon. I think we only had to do 15-20 chicken breasts all season last year (8 weeks).
IMG_3571.jpg

oooh... I can only hope that is Alaskan Salmon my eye spies ;) it's been 2 yrs since I left Alaska after 8 yrs living there (still have a house there) and moved to the East coast.. I dare not! touch atlantic salmon :p and although the cod and haddock or pretty good, I still prefer alaskan halibut over it.:( okay.. enuf reminiscing.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:
Perfect!!! :eusa_clap

IIRC correctly Chris you're a bit of a star on the barbie yourself. I seem to remember you posting some unbelievably mouth-watering pictures before ;)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
and potato salad.

B
T

That's pretty much the barbecues of my Australian childhood too. Usually a bowl of lettuce and tomatoes that no one really ate, and 2 options of sauce: ETA BBQ or Heinz Tomato. If you were lucky, a Sara Lee frozen bavarian or a pavlova for dessert.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
That's pretty much the barbecues of my Australian childhood too. Usually a bowl of lettuce and tomatoes that no one really ate, and 2 options of sauce: ETA BBQ or Heinz Tomato. If you were lucky, a Sara Lee frozen bavarian or a pavlova for dessert.
Mmmmm Chocolate Bavarian. I haven't thought about those in years!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Puzzicato said:

And we all know who invented the pav don't we :D :D

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
shopgirl61 said:
oooh... I can only hope that is Alaskan Salmon my eye spies ;)
Is there any other? ;) The majority, I believe, is Copper River. I usually like it just like that - right off the grill with a little squeeze of lemon. We have a couple guest chefs who do some pretty phenomenal things, though - hazelnut crusted with fresh huckleberry or blackberry puree (fresh as in picked that morning), and another did a garlic & herb butter drizzle that was amazing. And the steaks are always top-notch, too...but good steaks can be had year 'round. But we have a great supplier for the meats.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
lolly_loisides said:
Yes, we "own" them, don't we? lol Mum always put strawberries on her pavs, but I think passionfruit is much nicer.
Pavlova.jpg

My Mum always used to put strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries or any combination of them, my aunt always used kiwifruit, everybody seems to have their own way. I have had it with passionfruit and that is good, cuts through the sweetness.

To be honest we only really had it at Christmas or somebody's birthday. Embarrassingly I haven't had one in years and I've never made one. Might have to have a go at it.

Good tucker.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
lolly_loisides said:
Making pavs is easy - if you can beat egg whites you can make pavlovas. I don't know why people think baking meringues is so difficult. I'll PM you my failsafe recipe if you want.

Thanks Lolly, that would be great, cheers!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Puzzicato said:
Yes indeed - they are originally Kiwi! But like anything good (the Finn brothers) we are happy to give them Australian citizenship!

That's the ANZAC spirit Puzzicato ;)

One of my Aussie mates the other day said, "well after all you're a Kaussie now" lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot