Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backyard barbeques - 'member them?

Well with posting the link to the BBQ pix, I thought I'd run this by the crew.

I have had the pleasure of having around 4 Fedora Lounge BBQ's at my home and a few smaller get togethers. I am lucky enough to have Matt Deckard living not too far as a resdient Bartender to be there to make it Official!

The BBQ's are set up as a potluck so as the host i don't have to bare the complete brunt of the expenses. As a potluck most people will make an effort to bring a specialty of theirs or some really great stuff from their local shop.

I set it up in the yard and the patio areas. With snacks and drinks, continue some prep work as people come. Pop on some swing music for the background and slowy the magic happens, it builds to a great meal with something off the Weber and a big array of food items. We eat and drink and snack and all the while we get to talk. It's heavenly!

It works well out this way in Southern California and I am sure a similar formula will work where everyone else is so if you have anyone near by ask them over for a Vintage BBQ and send us the pictures!

John in Covina said:
Well with posting the link to the BBQ pix, I thought I'd run this by the crew.

I have had the pleasure of having around 4 Fedora Lounge BBQ's at my home and a few smaller get togethers. I am lucky enough to have Matt Deckard living not too far as a resdient Bartender to be there to make it Official!

The BBQ's are set up as a potluck so as the host i don't have to bare the complete brunt of the expenses. As a potluck most people will make an effort to bring a specialty of theirs or some really great stuff from their local shop.

I set it up in the yard and the patio areas. With snacks and drinks, continue some prep work as people come. Pop on some swing music for the background and slowy the magic happens, it builds to a great meal with something off the Weber and a big array of food items. We eat and drink and snack and all the while we get to talk. It's heavenly!

It works well out this way in Southern California and I am sure a similar formula will work where everyone else is so if you have anyone near by ask them over for a Vintage BBQ and send us the pictures!

I'll see what I can do this 4th. ;)

Zaxxon

New in Town
I own a Weber too but never tried to do fish.
Can somebody post how to make a hotsmoked trout or a similar fish?

Thanks,
Zaxxon

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Zaxxon said:
I own a Weber too but never tried to do fish.
Can somebody post how to make a hotsmoked trout or a similar fish?

Thanks,
Zaxxon

This is how I do it, but if I were doing it in the Weber I'd make a small fire and use smoking chips instead of dust, and use indirect heat. I wouldn't do it for as long, either.

Zaxxon

New in Town
Thanks for the link. I'll try it on sunday.
The lowest temperature I can achieve seems to be around 110 C° and I think I have some hickory chips left.

We'll see.

Zaxxon

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I've just been scanning some old family pictures and came upon this one of my dad proudly posing beside the BBQ he built. This was a little before my time, probably 1950 or so. We used to have the book from Sunset Magazine that the plans for this came from.
dadglendonwaywilmarQuicke-mailview.jpg

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Growing up in "the South" within the US, I do not have the same understanding of BBQ as I see presented here. It seems most relate bbq to some form of grilling. For me BBQ means cooking at low temperatures for a long period of time and allowing the meat (protein) to be flavored by the aroma of the wood used for cooking. I do not care for nor do I use an electric smoker to prepare barbecue. When I set out to prepare BBQ it normally takes 12-15 hours, preparing the meat, adding wood, tending the coals, and everything else required to ensure that deep smokey southern flavor. ;)

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Lol! I’m the same way. What you and I do is low and slow. They’re grilling, we’re smoking. J
This is what mine looks like, only its not as new anymore.
51Wpaa1CyoL__AA280_.jpg

I know a lot of folks turn their nose up at gas smokers. But this one has a smoke box that does really really well. I’ve been very happy with it. J

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Lol! I’m the same way. What you and I do is low and slow. They’re grilling, we’re smoking. J
This is what mine looks like, only its not as new anymore.
51Wpaa1CyoL__AA280_.jpg

I know a lot of folks turn their nose up at gas smokers. But this one has a smoke box that does really really well. I’ve been very happy with it. J
I don't turn my nose up at gas smokers or grills. Like I said to my neighbor, did you ever barbeque in February, before gas grills?

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
I actually have but I don’t really like too because I find it kind if hard to keep my temperature steady. But Man I love smoking BBQ! J

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I don't turn my nose up at gas smokers or grills. Like I said to my neighbor, did you ever barbeque in February, before gas grills?

I smoked two chickens and a pork shoulder this past Christmas. Granted I live in Georgia and it is not nearly as cold as other places in the world, but I do smoke the same way I would in the summer. I do attempt to insulate the outside of the pit but I only use the same fuel source, hickory wood chunks.
It takes more time, patience, and wood; but you can still get that true barbecue smoke.

If I am ever out your way, I will do my best to share. :)

Renault

One Too Many

Last time I had the opportunity to do any cooking outside. This was end of December. Things have changed a bit around here. But young son and family is coming tonight so tomorrow we are burn some meat! :D!

Renault

One Too Many
I think I've posted this before. But this was back during the World Cup. Son had bunch of friends down and we did some cooking. This is a decent pic of my home made low tech pit. Yes that's Basil watching the game.

Renault

One Too Many
LOL! Yup! I will post new pics tomorrow of the cookin'. Dunno what we're gonna burn but we'll have fun! And I do have appropriate period attire I will be decked out in for the festivities! Mebbe a jug close by too! ;)

Renault

One Too Many
That dang Basil is one sneaky fellow! I gotta keep an clear eye on him!!!

Sauce??? Im not one for a lot of sauce. When I do a brisket, I generally hit both sides with lots of black pepper, Mebbe some of that Tony Chachere Cajun seasoning. And I really like to use Colmans powdered English Mustard!

On my pork ribs it's the Tony's again. But the real secret is the slow and low heat! I cook some St. Louis style ribs it will take a good 8 hours. Just like that western hat wearer fellow mentioned. I cook em for about 5 hours on the grate slow then another 3 or 4 wrapped in aluminum foil good! Them ribs will come out as tender as my heart!!! (If I had one).
Same with a brisket. Lots of folks have their favorite wood for briskets. That's teal important to them my favorite is post oak when I can get it. Lots of folks like mesquite. And I have LOTS of it. But it is a VERY hot burning wood. IMHO better for searing steaks than actual BBQ'ing. But that's my opinion.

Just my two cents. So I hope it might help

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Remember them? I hope to have more than a few of them this summer and every summer for the rest of my life!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot