Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backyard barbeques - 'member them?

Here’s a BBQ sauce I like to make:
2 cups ketchup 1 cup water 1/2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar, 5 tablespoons light brown sugar 5 tablespoons sugar 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper 1/2 tablespoon onion powder 1/2 tablespoon ground mustard 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce.
Sometimes I’ll use Turbinado Sugar instead of brown sugar.
Put in a saucepan, bring to a boil and then lower the heat. Let it simmer until it thickens.
Enjoy. J

You also have the start of a marinade there if you take out the ketchup, sugar and water. Replacing them with salad oil, salt, parsley flakes and a few more spices would round it out. :p

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
No, it was Sam Huff's class. Myron and Sam have what could be a rather...hmm.... tension filled professional relationship.

In Marietta? I’ve been to Marietta before but never been to Sams BBQ. It looks terrific. Yeah, I would imagine Myron and everyone would have a tension-filled relationship. Myron gives Chris Lilly (of Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ) a hard time. I have Chris’ book and it is a great one. But ‘Smoke and Spice’ is the book that taught me most of what I know about BBQ. That, and an ol Navy Buddy that lives in Ga. J

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
35286_1514899157602_3627849_n.jpg

Here’s a pic of some stuff I did last summer. Ribs anyone?

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
In Marietta? I’ve been to Marietta before but never been to Sams BBQ. It looks terrific. Yeah, I would imagine Myron and everyone would have a tension-filled relationship. Myron gives Chris Lilly (of Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ) a hard time. I have Chris’ book and it is a great one. But ‘Smoke and Spice’ is the book that taught me most of what I know about BBQ. That, and an ol Navy Buddy that lives in Ga. J
Yes sir, in Marietta. I do not I live far from Sam Huff; less than 3 miles and 6 miles from his establishment. He host the bbq course at his house.
I have heard of Chris Lilly, but only through the class and people who attended Huff's class. I am not a member of the KCBS member or anything. Just a guy who enjoys bbq.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I got a Big Green Egg a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed it. I quickly learned to place a disposable aluminum baking pan with some water on the ceramic plate between the charcoal and the grills to catch drippings and keep them from burning. With the top and bottom vents, I can control my temperature very well keeping in the 225 range easily for long and low cooking. We have a lot of good BBQ places here in E Texas, but the focus is on brisket, and with a wife from Georgia, I long ago learned to like the pulled or chopped pork. I like to get some Boston Butt roasts and have been using a rub I mixed up, but may try some Toney's on the next, and possibly use all hickory or pecan chunks for more smoke, vs nearly all charcoal and a few chunks.

Every time we go back to Ga, and usually up in the mountains NE of Atlanta, it seems as though we try to hit every little BBQ joint we find, especially at lunch time. We have never found a bad one, but some really top hat.

emigran

Practically Family
As a young lad my Uncle had a handmade backyard stone monolithic cooking pit... had iron doors on the sides and a chimney. Stood out back near an equally magnificent cherry tree that we would climb and pick the fruit .. My Aunt made the very best chicken marinade... it was really just lemon and garlic but over the fire it became heavenly...basketball games in the driveway till after dark... wooden Deck chairs with cushions and fireflies too.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I got a Big Green Egg a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed it. I quickly learned to place a disposable aluminum baking pan with some water on the ceramic plate between the charcoal and the grills to catch drippings and keep them from burning. With the top and bottom vents, I can control my temperature very well keeping in the 225 range easily for long and low cooking. We have a lot of good BBQ places here in E Texas, but the focus is on brisket, and with a wife from Georgia, I long ago learned to like the pulled or chopped pork. I like to get some Boston Butt roasts and have been using a rub I mixed up, but may try some Toney's on the next, and possibly use all hickory or pecan chunks for more smoke, vs nearly all charcoal and a few chunks.

Every time we go back to Ga, and usually up in the mountains NE of Atlanta, it seems as though we try to hit every little BBQ joint we find, especially at lunch time. We have never found a bad one, but some really top hat.

Your pan with water is also helping to keep your meat moist and helps to deliver the flavor of the smoke further into the meat. That is a great addition to cooking with the Green Egg. I have heard many glowing testaments about the Egg. I encourage wood chunks for barbecue, but that is just my personal choice.

A great number of people in GA are all about Pork. It is wild! I like a bit of it all, sausage, chicken, turkey, brisket, duck and even a bit of pork shoulder. But it seems every time I turn around people are asking when is the pork shoulder/Boston Butt going to be smoked. A good friend of mine tells me without fail, "If it's not pork, it's not barbecue." So I know exactly what you are talking about.
I also keep the shoulder bone from the butt/pork shoulder, it is great to add some water and make a nice base pork stock with.

If you need some new BBQ places to try in/around Atlanta, feel free to ask. I will tell you about ones I have visited.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I grew up in the deep south. Between the heat, the gnats, and the flies, I was never a big fan of outdoor barbeques. My brother built a big brick grill and enjoys cooking out, and I must admit a hamburger tastes so much better off the grill but I prefer to dine inside with the air conditioning

I hear you about dining inside to stay out of the heat and humidity and away from the flying and creepy crawlers, but I sure do enjoy the stuff cooked on my Big Green Egg. If I could afford it I would have an outdoor kitchen, screened in with a big vent hood and several ceiling fans, but I don't see that happening.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I believe the sayings are, "No pain, no gain" and "if it was easy, everybody would do it." :) A few insect bites has not kept me from barbecuing and I pray it never does.
After 11 years in the military, I generally eat just about anywhere the food is offered. That may change over time but as is it currently is, I will eat outside without thought. Hot or cold, wet or dry, just do not call me late for chow.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Your pan with water is also helping to keep your meat moist and helps to deliver the flavor of the smoke further into the meat. That is a great addition to cooking with the Green Egg. I have heard many glowing testaments about the Egg. I encourage wood chunks for barbecue, but that is just my personal choice.

A great number of people in GA are all about Pork. It is wild! I like a bit of it all, sausage, chicken, turkey, brisket, duck and even a bit of pork shoulder. But it seems every time I turn around people are asking when is the pork shoulder/Boston Butt going to be smoked. A good friend of mine tells me without fail, "If it's not pork, it's not barbecue." So I know exactly what you are talking about.
I also keep the shoulder bone from the butt/pork shoulder, it is great to add some water and make a nice base pork stock with.

If you need some new BBQ places to try in/around Atlanta, feel free to ask. I will tell you about ones I have visited.

Thanks, but I try to avoid Atlanta. When we leave Macon heading for the mountains I generally go up through Gray and stay anywhere from 25-40 miles east of Atlanta, preferring the rural scenery and traffic vs the madness on I 75 and Atlanta's loop. I see you were military, I had 10 years active AF, that's how I met my wife, she was working as a civil service nurse at Robbins AFB, where I was the Pharmacy Officer.

We got married and promptly went to Turkey for two years. One night we had a big party at a local hotel where they served what they called a mixed grill. One thing on there, I was told was smoked camel, don't know if it was true or not, but it was rather greasy, but very tasty. Plenty of lamb, beef, and water buffalo, but in a Moslem country, no pork.

We did hunt wild boar out in the mountains and built a smoker out at the NATO rod & gun club. We smoked a lot of ribs, and homemade sausage, using sheep gut casings from a local slaughter house. I hand ground all the spices we got down at the spice market, in a large ceramic mortar and pestle from the pharmacy.

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Talk about doing it the hard way . . .

We'll eat outside if it isn't too hot. Bugs are less of a problem out here in the dry. These days, though, most of my barbecuing is done with an electric smoker. Easiest way to cook a big hunk of meat I know of. However, the vegies do go on the grill.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Talk about doing it the hard way . . .

We'll eat outside if it isn't too hot. Bugs are less of a problem out here in the dry. These days, though, most of my barbecuing is done with an electric smoker. Easiest way to cook a big hunk of meat I know of. However, the vegies do go on the grill.

I have an older Bradley smoker, one that uses pre formed pucks of wood chips and advances one to a heating element every 29 minutes, It does a good job but I find that we prefer the charcoal and wook hunks. As far as eating outside, here in the deep south only on breezy days in spring or fall. Winters are too cold and humid and summer, well very hot, and with humitity in the 90% and up range along with all the bugs, no thanks.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Thanks, but I try to avoid Atlanta. When we leave Macon heading for the mountains I generally go up through Gray and stay anywhere from 25-40 miles east of Atlanta, preferring the rural scenery and traffic vs the madness on I 75 and Atlanta's loop. I see you were military, I had 10 years active AF, that's how I met my wife, she was working as a civil service nurse at Robbins AFB, where I was the Pharmacy Officer.

We got married and promptly went to Turkey for two years. One night we had a big party at a local hotel where they served what they called a mixed grill. One thing on there, I was told was smoked camel, don't know if it was true or not, but it was rather greasy, but very tasty. Plenty of lamb, beef, and water buffalo, but in a Moslem country, no pork.

We did hunt wild boar out in the mountains and built a smoker out at the NATO rod & gun club. We smoked a lot of ribs, and homemade sausage, using sheep gut casings from a local slaughter house. I hand ground all the spices we got down at the spice market, in a large ceramic mortar and pestle from the pharmacy.

Sounds like a good time to me. I am always for up the challenge of cooking with only what is available. :)
I did spend 11 years in the military. Four years in the Navy and then seven in the Army. I was blessed to see a great number of places in the world. None of my adventures involved the production of a make-shift bbq pit. Hahaha! I really do enjoy the flavors of fresh herbs and meat. Those two paired well together can be dazzling.

I understand your desire to avoid I-75 as well as I-285, cannot say I have the luxury of avoiding them all the time.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Our smoker at the NATO club was anything but makeshift. It was a walk in room about 8x8 . The fire box was about 12-15 feet away with underground pipe to move the smoke., All masonary except for the roof. We could do several pigs at once.

jkingrph

Practically Family
It was rather impressive. A good friend, a NCO in the US Army Engineers found a set of plans from the USDA on construction, and our club provided funds and the space near our skeet range for it. The first time we tried it, some of the Turks built literally a bonfire in the firebox and collapsed the smoke tunnel. We fixed that and saw that they had learned their lesson. Our first smoke was nearly 75 lbs of wild boar sausage, along with assorted backstraps, loins, and hams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21