Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backyard barbeques - 'member them?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Not really tryin' to start a fist fight, but this is how one bar-b-ques.....anything else is just "cooking".

20070219-110255-Preparing-barbecue-.gif

NC20Barbecue_hog_100-1.jpg

PerkinsFamBBQ-1930-1.jpg

AF

I think the intention of the originator of this thread had grilling in mind more than BBQ but that is just term warfare as they are interchangable to the public at large. Just look at the advertising concerning it.
Going forward, think grilling because it is not likely that many of us BBQ in our backyards---much less have that much time to do it any justice. 8 hours or more forgetaboutit. :p :eusa_doh:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I think the intention of the originator of this thread had grilling in mind more than BBQ but that is just term warfare as they are interchangable to the public at large. Just look at the advertising concerning it.
Going forward, think grilling because it is not likely that many of us BBQ in our backyards---much less have that much time to do it any justice. 8 hours or more forgetaboutit. :p :eusa_doh:

One of the things which might confuse Americans here is that in the Commonwealth, "grilling" means to cook something under the direct heat from the top element in the inside of an oven/stove. For most non-Americans to barbeque is anything on an outdoor barbie, be it gas, charcoal, and over either direct or indirect heat.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
As I understand it, BBQ is meat (often the entire animal) cooked "low and slow". That is, cooked over low temperature for a relatively long time. Grilling is food...not necessarily meat...cooked relatively quickly over high heat or flame.

AF

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Atticus Finch said:
As I understand it, BBQ is meat (often the entire animal) cooked "low and slow". That is, cooked over low temperature for a relatively long time. Grilling is food...not necessarily meat...cooked relatively quickly over high heat or flame.

AF

And that is where there is a difference, in terms of definition. Just the same way as what you call a biscuit in the USA is different from what a biscuit is in Commonwealth countries.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's largely a regional thing: up here in the Northeast, the kind of slow-cooked barbeque Atticus is talking about is nearly unknown. Even the few places that attempt to cook that way around here rarely get anywhere near the beloved results that are common in the South and Southwest. Here and there, there are some halfway decent BBQ places, but they're very uncommon. (There are some serious hobbyists around who do it well too.)

And the problem with "barbeque" as a word is that it's applied to everything from backyard burger gas-grilling to Chinese hoisin-sauce spareribs. Unless you've been initiated in the real slow-cooked styles, it's easy to be confused!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
What follows is a fairly interesting history of Bar-B-Que. I didn't reproduce the entire article, only the portion that deals directly with what the term "Bar-B-Que" means...at least here in the United States. Again, I'm not trying to cause grief. Grilling is good, too!

Barbecue and Barbacoa
By Stan Dyer

According to the National Barbecue Association, May is National Barbecue month. Now I'm vegetarian, and I don't barbecue, but with the weather warming up, and people's thoughts turning toward entertaining outside, I'm sure many readers will soon be firing up their grills. With this in mind, I have prepared a short history of barbecue and barbacoa to amuse you while you're waiting for dinner to cook. Whether it's barbecue or barbacoa, cooking outdoors is an American tradition that dates beyond the founding fathers.

The tradition we enjoy today of barbecuing outside is more likely "grilling" than barbecuing. Barbecuing is the slow cooking of meats in a variety of styles using hot coals, smoke, and, sometimes, water. The process takes hours to complete. Grilling uses a flame to cook meats quickly, and was probably developed by people who could not wait for their barbecue. The outdoor get-together associated with grilling is sometimes called a barbecue, and that's OK, but they aren't always serving up barbecue. Real barbecue most likely developed from the West Indies and the practice they called "barbacoa".

There are a number of interesting and colorful stories surrounding the origins of the word "barbecue", but most cannot be verified. What can be verified is the Haitian word "barbacoa" used to describe the wood rack they used to prepare meats in the barbecue fashion. Thus, barbecue is historically linked to this region even though it was practiced in other places and in other cultures. From there, the practice probably migrated North with the Spanish explorers to develop into the modern practice as we know it.

Barbacoa involves a hole in the ground, or pit and a fire. The fire is burned down to hot coals that are situated around the meat to be cooked. The meat is prepared by wrapping it in some protective wrapping, (banana leaves), and placed over a cauldron of water. All of this is covered with moist soil and left to bake in the ground for 10 to 12 hours, or longer.

Readers may be surprised to learn that the tradition of barbecue in other areas of North America actually developed on the East Coast. It makes more sense when you consider that this was the region first settled by European immigrants....

AF

Mav

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
From the moment I read the thread title I knew post #41 was a comin', sooner or later. :p
Yep. Every discussion forum, regardless of area of interest, has a BBQ argument thread.

Atticus Finch said:
The tradition we enjoy today of barbecuing outside is more likely "grilling" than barbecuing. Barbecuing is the slow cooking of meats in a variety of styles using hot coals, smoke, and, sometimes, water. The process takes hours to complete. Grilling uses a flame to cook meats quickly, and was probably developed by people who could not wait for their barbecue. The outdoor get-together associated with grilling is sometimes called a barbecue, and that's OK, but they aren't always serving up barbecue. Real barbecue most likely developed from the West Indies and the practice they called "barbacoa".

I don't know about others but I only use the heat from the coals to grill not flames. I knock down any flames with water or beer.
The guy must be thinking of flame-broiled burgers at BK or something. ;) :p

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
This is what we Americans call BROILING as to cook something in or under the Broiler.

There you go John, another difference in definition. What did good old Bernard Shaw say again about being divided by a common language :D

Because such differences exist, it is perhaps worthwhile to recognise how different countries use the word and therefore that barbeque means different things for people around the world.

Whatever definition you use, it's all damn tasty!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I agree with Jamespowers on grilling with heat vs flame. I let the coals sit for almost an hour before I throw anything on. I find it easier to cook evenly that way.

I use to grill out in our central area when I was a cadet, usually chicken with red bell peppers. All these Cadets who didn't know a spatula from their (*cough*) would come running up because they could smell it throughout the whole campus. Good times.

I still grill to this day, at least once a week. I'm cooking up lamb tomorrow.

Mr Vim said:
I agree with Jamespowers on grilling with heat vs flame. I let the coals sit for almost an hour before I throw anything on. I find it easier to cook evenly that way.

I use to grill out in our central area when I was a cadet, usually chicken with red bell peppers. All these Cadets who didn't know a spatula from their (*cough*) would come running up because they could smell it throughout the whole campus. Good times.

I still grill to this day, at least once a week. I'm cooking up lamb tomorrow.

I have heard that the difference between grilling with charcoal or gas is the high dry heat associated with using charcoal.
The only time flames hit my meat is when I turn my back on the grill and the flames sneak up on the meat from fat runoff etc. They get gone fast after I see them though. ;) :p
Oh and I'll be by for lamb tomorrow. ;) lol

Mike K.

One Too Many
Okay, so we have thoroughly beaten into the ground the issue of what defines a barbeque and what doesn't. If anyone cares to add more to the topic, please see this existing thread in the Connoisseur forum:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=29424

If you care to share your memories & experiences of that activity you do in the summer with your friends gathered around whatever means of outdoor cooking, then this is the place!

How about submitting photos of those heirloom grills in use, or that slow-cook pit technique your grandfather taught you, or perhaps just a really swell vintage/retro backyard get together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot