Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad Wolf Dr Who Jacket leather Jacket-just arrived!

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
Why not Magnoli?

Hello Jeff

Well, I very nearly did go with Magnoli especially as he is NZ based, but I did not know much about him at the time and then I found out he out-sources to places like India and China which put me off for some reason. Having said that, I have now read and heard enough about Magnoli to know his products are very good and I will probably buy from him in the future.
Also, the fact that Bad Wolf specialize in making this one paticular style of jacket only was another attraction for me.

Jaffa

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
Hello John, you will find all the info you need for this jacket here:
http://www.thebadwolf.com/

Btw-when you view the gallery the beat-up looking black jacket on the tailor's dummy is not a Bad Wolf made jacket but the WW2 original they used to copy from. As I said on an earlier post the photos of the Bad Wolf jackets don't really show how nice they are.

Cheers

Jaffa

91_Mustang

New in Town
Jeff M said:
Nice looking jacket.
Any other Kreigsmarine U-Boat commander design jacket makers out there?

From my research there seems to be only a handful of vendors that make this style jacket . . .

Bad Wolf: Very nice Doctor Who style jacket but also the most expensive at 475 GBP + shipping.

Wear Wolf: Very similar pattern to the Bad Wolf but a little less expensive at 359 GBP + shipping. It seems to only come in standard sizes S, M, L, XL.

Magnoli: Very nice quality and screen accurate with made to measure sizing. His goatskin version runs $395 USD which includes shipping.

Wested: I've heard good feedback on this one but unfortunately it really falls short in terms of screen accuracy for the diehard Doctor Who fan. Also, Wested seems to only offer this in standard sizes. It costs 165 GBP + shipping.

Hollywood Jackets/Film Jackets/South Beach (Mostly sold on Ebay): This appears to be the lowest quality version and it also has the lowest price at 99 GBP + shipping. I guess you get what you pay for in this case.

Note that when comparing prices be sure to consider additional costs if you happen to live overseas. That could include variations in exchange rates, shipping rates, foreign transaction fees for a credit card purchase, and import/duty taxes. Sometimes these costs can catch you off guard and you end up paying much more for the jacket than you expected to.

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
91_Mustang said:
From my research there seems to be only a handful of vendors that make this style jacket . . .

Bad Wolf: Very nice Doctor Who style jacket but also the most expensive at 475 GBP + shipping.

Wear Wolf: Very similar pattern to the Bad Wolf but a little less expensive at 359 GBP + shipping. It seems to only come in standard sizes S, M, L, XL.

Magnoli: Very nice quality and screen accurate with made to measure sizing. His goatskin version runs $395 USD which includes shipping.

Wested: I've heard good feedback on this one but unfortunately it really falls short in terms of screen accuracy for the diehard Doctor Who fan. Also, Wested seems to only offer this in standard sizes. It costs 165 GBP + shipping.

Hollywood Jackets/Film Jackets/South Beach (Mostly sold on Ebay): This appears to be the lowest quality version and it also has the lowest price at 99 GBP + shipping. I guess you get what you pay for in this case.

Note that when comparing prices be sure to consider additional costs if you happen to live overseas. That could include variations in exchange rates, shipping rates, foreign transaction fees for a credit card purchase, and import/duty taxes. Sometimes these costs can catch you off guard and you end up paying much more for the jacket than you expected to.

Mmmm, never heard of Wear Wolf before?

Yep, import tax and shipping is a killer-I payed $280 NZD total additional costs!!:(

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
Leather type

So it is cow hide! :eek:

The package weight was 2.9kg total so minus the packaging I reckoned the jacket itself was around 2.5kg maybe a tad more. The leather is excellent quality and it's not too heavy but not light and flimsy either. It's a very soft and luxuriant texture.

Jaffa

91_Mustang

New in Town
Jaffa the Hat said:
Mmmm, never heard of Wear Wolf before?

It is an unusual name for a leather jacket company. At first I thought they came up with the name just to play off the "Bad Wolf" idea for their jacket. However, this logic doesn't hold because they seem to offer a full product line other than just offering the Doctor Who style jacket. It's their "Naval" jacket that appears very similar to one of the early Bad Wolf patterns.

Here's a link to their site. Just scroll down until you get to the Naval Jacket. You can click on the image to see the back view.
http://www.wearwolf.co.uk/acatalog/Mens_Leather_Jackets.html

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
Thanks for this Mustang.
The Wear Wolf naval jacket looks fine at a glance and so do the other jackets they do but they really should have used either smaller jackets or a bigger guy to model some of them! lol The Reefer and Blouson jackets caught my eye but I would wait for feedback on here before buying from them just to be sure their ok?

Jaffa

91_Mustang

New in Town
I agree with you about those models on the Wearwolf site and you're definitely right about waiting for someone to post a review on them before ordering anything.

Of those vendors I'd mentioned previously the only ones I've had experience with are Wested and Magnoli. Both of these had good communication and were very nice to answer my ongoing list of questions. I've come across a few people that have dealt with Bad Wolf and most all were happy with their experience as well. The only negative I've heard was in regards to the lead time. I personally enjoy visiting Bad Wolf's website from time to time to look at the pictures and read up on the history of the jacket. It's a great resource for us fans and he should be commended for that alone.

RayR

One of the Regulars
This looks perfect on you. I see you went with the brown. I love the kind of antiquing effect rather than just a smooth solid color. Did you have to ask for anything special for that? It kind of gives it a well used look while the structure still looks new.

I ask because I just sent in an order/deposit moments ago and didn't see any info on finish other than black or brown options. Also, I was a little worried that the collar looked a bit wide despite assurances that the original pattern was copied. But, after seeing this on you, my mind is at ease. Again, that's....Fantastic! :D

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What kind of leather is this company using? I scanned the website and didn't notice any exact description, which is always worrisome (i might have missed it). The well-known makers always feature the leather type prominantly, while many of the designer (or mall) jackets don't tell you at all. In fact, it's kind of fascinating to see the lengths they go to not to tell you.
When I was in Paris last spring, I mat a Japanese guy who was sporting an Aero Mariner. That is one beautiful jacket.

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
Hi RayR, sorry about the delay getting back.

No, I didn't make any special requests regarding colour and finish- that's how the jacket came.

Funny you should metion you are buying one as I am about ready to order another one in black. John Doyle did say to me when I was ordering my brown one that the brown has a more luxurious finish than the black. I very pleased with the jacket and it just gets better looking with age-unlike me:)

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
Hi Bob,

The leather used by Bad Wolf at the time of my purchase was italian cowhide. I have always felt the Bad Wolf website does not do the jackets justice. My jacket is superb but I have read one posting on here from a guy who had a bad experiance ordering from Bad Wolf. I hope it was just a one off mistake becuase all my dealings with John Doyle at the time were very positive.

RayR

One of the Regulars
Jaffe, I can not reply to your email. Your Forum settings block contact messages and your reply email add that came in my email message from here, is a dead link. Please arrange so I can reply to you.

Cheers ~ Ray

Hi Bob,

The leather used by Bad Wolf at the time of my purchase was italian cowhide. I have always felt the Bad Wolf website does not do the jackets justice. My jacket is superb but I have read one posting on here from a guy who had a bad experiance ordering from Bad Wolf. I hope it was just a one off mistake becuase all my dealings with John Doyle at the time were very positive.

That would be me.

I always wonder about the claim of "Italian leather" when I see it now, after my my "Bad Wolf" experience.
As a consumer, there is nothing to go by but the claims of the merchant/manufacturer.

Others may have had different experience with Bad Wolf, but in my case, it wasn't just the leather, but the fit, the inability to contact Bad Wolf for lengthy periods of time, their silence when I was in London over the period when the jacket was supposed to have been completed (I emalied them several times hoping to arrange to go to their "London based" jacket maker to pick up the jacket/check the fit and avoid shipping charges to the states), their wanting to charge me a hefty amount for corrections when I sent the jacket back for a re-do..PLUS a fair amount of shipping back out to me (in addition to the cost of shipping the jacket out to me the first time...plus return shipping back to the UK). All led me to tell them to just keep the jacket without asking for a refund.
It was an expensive lesson.

If I were looking for a "Dr. Who" (U-boat) style jacket again, I'd go with Aero.

Last edited:

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
Hi Jeff M, I have been saving for a black Bad Wolf jacket for a while but am now wondering if their standards have slipped in the three and a half years since I bought my Bad Wolf? I would be as mad as hell if what happened to you happened to me!
So you think Aero is the way to go? Did I read a thread by you saying Aero will make a Dr Who/U-Boat jacket to order or is it their Mariner jacket you are talking about? Have you got any photos?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats