Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ball Caps...as bad as we say?

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Okay, many of us say ball caps are annoying...and to some degree I guess they are (I myself don't have a problem with them). But is it really that bad? I mean, they may not take them off when we take off our hats, but many people that wear fedoras and the like also don't take them off at the right times. And while they are ball caps, they're still caps, and it wasn't exactly outrageous to see people wearing caps way back when. Look at The Untouchables.....Sean Connery wasn't exactly wearing a baseball cap, but he wasn't wearing a fedora either...but did he seem out of place? Nope. And I wouldn't say that its weird for people to wear their ball caps backwards or sideways. We tend to tilt our hats, and some people probably wear their hats a little crooked, with the pinch off to the side a bit. I myself even have a ball cap that I'm quite fond of...don't wear it much, but I like it alot, and would wear it if I didn't feel like wearing a fedora, but wanted to wear something. What do you all think about it, given this new point of view to consider?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I guess what annoys me about ballcaps is not that so many people wear them, but that many who wear them (including women!) look at me as if I was weird because I wear fedoras. I don't get it, except there is always that herd mentality around. I don't see the difference between a woman wearing a ballcap or a woman wearing a real hat.

Which brings me to the other pet peeve, if that is what it is: many who wear ballcaps will wear them when they know they are supposed to wear a hat for sun protection. Duh!! What does it protect? The top front of their faces and nothing else. Certainly not their necks or ears or even the lower part of the face.

I have some ballcaps, though I really don't look that good in them. I get them sometimes as souvenirs when I visit an interesting place or like a certain team. Somtimes I wear them, but usually just around the house.

As for that other cap you mentioned: I love newsboy caps and have two of them that are Irish Tweed. I look better in those caps than I do my fedoras, but don't wear them as often. I wonder if other folks on this site wear them, too. They are a part of the past, too. Just look at old newsreels or photos from the 30's: men wore fedoras or caps, boys almost exclusively wore caps. They don't protect much from the sun, but boy they sure look good!

karol

up196

A-List Customer
Originally posted by K.D. Lightner
I love newsboy caps . . . I wonder if other folks on this site wear them, too.
I wear one a lot, especially at work at night. Much more practical getting in and out of a car a lot as they don't get knocked around.

Michaelson

One Too Many
My problem with 'ball caps' is that the folks who wear them have NO clue when it's proper to have them on or off. I've seen them worn in church, school, during the playing of the National Anthem, you name it. I mean, we're not talking about someone's pants, we're talking about a head covering that should be worn by the same rules as ANY head covering. That information hasn't reached the idiots that seem to think the rules of proper ediquette does not apply to them or their silly ball caps. (now ask me what I REALLY think.:mad: ;) ) Regards. Michaelson

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Um, what do you REALLY think? LOL Yeah, when they don't know when to take them off, its pretty wrong, though sometimes they may not even know the rules of ettiquette...but in Church is just plain wrong! And as I've said before about hats, alot of people wear them in a fashion manner, not taking them off when they're supposed too, basically wearing them like women LOL

Michaelson

One Too Many
Could be, my friend. I'm reminded of a situation that occured right here in one of my classrooms at the Institute. We had a graduate level class on Measurement Science going on, and a room full of graduate students listening to an old professor lecture. This fellow used to be Wernher von Braun's main instrument man in Huntsville, Ala. He told 'war' stories that went on and on for hours....but I digress...

There was one student sitting in class who was wearing his ballcap. The professor had lectured for almost 10 minutes, when he came to a sudden stop in mid sentence...looked up and straight AT the cap wearing student.

Without batting an eye, he asked the student...'Is your head cold?"

The student replied, 'No sir'

The professor said, 'then remove your cap in my classroom!"

The student QUICKLY removed his cap, and believe me, from that time onward, he left his cap in his car. It took an old NASA man to get the kids attention, but once done, the lesson was quickly learned.

Regards. Michaelson;)

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Michaelson
My problem with 'ball caps' is that the folks who wear them have NO clue when it's proper to have them on or off. I've seen them worn in church, school, during the playing of the National Anthem, you name it. I mean, we're not talking about someone's pants, we're talking about a head covering that should be worn by the same rules as ANY head covering. That information hasn't reached the idiots that seem to think the rules of proper ediquette does not apply to them or their silly ball caps. (now ask me what I REALLY think.:mad: ;) ) Regards. Michaelson

This may be a little unfair. I'm from the North and 39 years old. Except for Church, school (when I was a Catholic schoolboy, but now a buddhist monk), natiional anthems, and my grandmother's dinner table, the last thing that came off my head before going to bed and the first thing on in the morning was a baseball hat. Either my team or a Cubs hat. No one knew anything about any hat ettiquette; there was no social education like that even then.

And now it can only be worse. Can't blame the kids for that. Much has changed in society, and hat ettiquette is nowhere to be found. In college, I wore a hat in class, especially after some of those long nights.

Nonetheless, once you go fedora, and good ones at that, a ballcap becomes something only made for baseball players.

G

Michaelson

One Too Many
I'm almost 50 and ALSO from the north. Not sure how you think this was 'unfair'. Everything you listed that you TOOK you cap off for were the very things I listed that folks AREN'T doing now. What did I miss? Sorry...it's been along day and time to head home. Regards. Michaelson:confused:

Michaelson

One Too Many
Howdy, and good morning. As it was, I couldn't even log onto the 'chat', as on my computer, it stated I had to allow 'pop-up's in order to get access, and I'm not about to do that. Wish I could have been there. Regards. Michaelson

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
well, actually, you only have to allow pop-ups while at conanthelibrarian.com/chat, and only untili the window asking for permission pops up...after that, you can block pop-ups and be pop-up free :D

Michaelson

One Too Many
Well, if I didn't have a server going at the time through this same computer, I'd have read a bit further, but I was a bit gun shy to attempt it, and have my server crash on me. Regards. Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda