Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balmoral Boots

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
not really a big issue for me Simon. there seems to be a bit of variety in how flat that area is in vintage boots:

HurdShoesBalmoral3_zpsf510421a.jpg

ScreenShot2012-04-26at000555.png

perhaps the lastmakers were pre-empting the fact that the toe will naturally bend up after wear, so made the last as flat as possible ?

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
not really a big issue for me Simon. there seems to be a bit of variety in how flat that area is in vintage boots:

HurdShoesBalmoral3_zpsf510421a.jpg

ScreenShot2012-04-26at000555.png

perhaps the lastmakers were pre-empting the fact that the toe will naturally bend up after wear, so made the last as flat as possible ?

Toe spring is really a lasting issue. IE: how tightly the leather is pulled over the last and whether the pull is evenly distributed. It is rarely a stylistic issue, except if the maker raised the end of the toebox.

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
Toe spring is built into the last. Toe spring is the difference between where the ball of the foot touches and how high above the floor the bottom of the last is under the end of the toe. It has nothing to do with how the shoe is lasted or the pattern. For example the shoe above is well balanced the ball hits the floor in the right spot the backline of the shoe follows the natural form of the foot and the heel sits flat. The toe spring is correct for a walking shoe. Also bear in mind that an all leather shoe will tend to curl up at the toe from use and this can be prevented with shoe trees.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I lust after those brown boots HBK however I just know that should I find some that they'd never fit me as I have wide feet that are big just in front of the laces which is why Italian and Spanish shoes rarely fit me!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wouldn't the Balmorals be more of a Steampunk look? When I think of Goths I see big, chunky lace-ups of the dominatrix sort. Also, the photo above is of a very cool look: kind of Genet-like. Is it Goth?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk