Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ban Charlie Brown

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
I never liked the comic strip, but the idea of banning it on any level is well.......... Stupid.
How about a coalition to ban coalitions?
This guy sounds like he needs a harsh letter from my organization. P.O.O.P. (People offended by offended people.)
our motto is "Your offense offends me."

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't know. I think it's disturbing on all sorts of levels that someone wants to take away all visible signs of bullying in contemporary media. Taking it out of the media doesn't mean it will cease to exist. I don't think most children are learning to bully from media so much as they learn from their peers and family (and I truly believe most of it is learned behavior from their parents). And I worry that removing all bullying from media is essentially like invalidating children's experience who are bullied, while not doing anything to actually fix the bullying that happens. Which, considering the few kids I know who were bullied in school, is the last thing these victims need- they already have enough people in their lives telling them to suck it up, take it, ignore it, or even that they are making stuff up.

And I never saw Charlie Brown as glorifying bullying in any way shape or form. Charlie Brown is a sympathetic character, I always felt sorry that he was being bullied. And I also always thought Lucy had a major crush on Charlie too.

This guy sounds like he needs a harsh letter from my organization. P.O.O.P. (People offended by offended people.) our motto is "Your offense offends me."
I'd join and then start a movement to get "offended" removed from the English language.That could be due to the fact that I offend people on a daily basis, but whatever lol

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
So, they have no problem with the obvious character assasination of such a great folk hero, the Great Pumpkin. I mean, he may have missed a few gigs now and then, missed out on a pumpkin patch here and there, but c'mon. The guy's a legend.

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
People will always find SOMETHING to get hypersensitive about and seek to ban it and condemn others for liking it. What a way to spend your time. With a chip on your shoulder. No thanks. Maybe I'll go buy that Peanuts Halloween Cartoon special for my niece and nephew now.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Lucy was actually a vehicle for Schulz to use when he had women problems. :)

After researching and writing the article on him for America in WWII magazine, I was fascinated by how much of his real life he put into his strips.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Not to play down your observation.
Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald - what else can a fiction writer draw upon?

Of course we put some of our lives into our work. (I am also a fiction writer). But I draw upon more than my real life. Part of the fun is drawing upon experiences that are NOT yours. The old adage of "Write what you know" isn't exactly true. I like to use the saying, "write what you WANT to know." For example, one of my characters in my current novel is a German professor who escapes Nazi Germany in 1938. I never experienced fleeing my country, persecution for my beliefs, or living in a new country as an "outsider", yet my character does, and through research, I believe I'm able to accurately portray him.

Schulz drew upon very specific experiences from his life. I generally don't because I have no interest in writing a novel about a thirty-something wife, mother, and writer who has a crappy job.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I strongly recommend David Michaelis's biography of Schulz -- it upset the surviving family because of its psychological speculations, but the picture it paints is of an extremely complex and often contradictory man who used his comic strip as a way of exorcising his inner demons -- most notably the figure of Charlie Brown himself, who reflected every specific bit of insecurity that Schulz ever felt in his own life.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I strongly recommend David Michaelis's biography of Schulz -- it upset the surviving family because of its psychological speculations, but the picture it paints is of an extremely complex and often contradictory man who used his comic strip as a way of exorcising his inner demons -- most notably the figure of Charlie Brown himself, who reflected every specific bit of insecurity that Schulz ever felt in his own life.

Agreed. Very interesting take on Schulz.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
A little food for thought and a little off the Charlie Brown topic but we should ban the Roadrunner and Wylie Coyote cause they're to violent then turn the channel to Vampire Diaries,Family Guy, Southpark ,The Simpsons or some such thing...makes one wonder?

I think that's the reason why the original Looney Tunes series isn't show much on television anymore...it was too violent. I remember when they took it off the Saturday morning line up and that was the excuses being thrown around even then. Instead, they replaced it with a washed out and "updated" version that is supposed to be like a sitcom. I found it more offensive than the original.

Oliverbox

New in Town
This is just terrible. It's just not Halloween at my house until we watch "Great Pumpkin". It's classic. I grew up with it. The idea of banning 'Peanuts' is like saying, that the Statue of Liberty is old fashioned because modern women wear pants. I own "Great Pumpkin" on DVD. It will be shown every Halloween at my home until I die.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana