Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic safari hat [mystery solved]

Jeffrey Wang

New in Town
Back in the mid 80s I really wanted one of these hats....

1oad.jpg

But not having enough cash at that young age I never got one.

A year and 1\2 ago I found one on E Bay.

8kp2.jpg

Put it in a box with some cedar blocks and never thought much about it
till tonight. I was going through my hats for another project.

It has some cool Banana Republic labels.....

oqvu.jpg

A really neat liner [can't photo it too well]

9a1g.jpg

It also has some really neat vents in the side.....

9jxl.jpg

Wait a minute... those vents look familiar.

Sure enough, I have the vent die that Major Moore bought at the Beaver Brand auction.

ojma.jpg

My machine shop is doing a retro fit for the Major. So I got it out and sure enough...
Its the same as the vent pattern on the Banana Republic hat.
If I remember right, Richard [from Beaver Brand] told us that he made the vent die himself.
So I now believe I know for certain that Beaver Brand made the safari hats for Banana Republic.

Jeffrey Wang

New in Town
This BR safari hat is stated genuine fur felt on the sweatband but the little size tag also states 80% wool and 20% rayon, what does this mean? I purchased my hat in 86 from their catalog, I love it but always have this question! wondering experts on this site know the answer! Thank you!

This BR safari hat is stated genuine fur felt on the sweatband but the little size tag also states 80% wool and 20% rayon, what does this mean? I purchased my hat in 86 from their catalog, I love it but always have this question! wondering experts on this site know the answer! Thank you!

Welcome!
This thread hasn’t been active for over six years. Which hat are you referring to? Can you add photos of your hat, including all labels?

Very interesting! I have seen several Banana Republic Safari hats over the years, they all have this tag stating the 80/20 wool/rayon contents!

Since 1939 the US has had a law requiring disclosure of wool content. The tag could be correct, but the hat doesn’t look like a high wool content felt to me; although, it’s hard to really tell in the photos. Could be a parts bin hat where either the tag or the sweatband was put in the wrong hat...it happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran