Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bandanas: Okay, or dorky?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Yah, I barely caught them, and was sooo happy when I saw them. Lok over by the purse area, they usually have their scarves over there. If you can't find them, let me know, I can pick some up for you. I can send you pics of the other ones so you can choose.;)

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
~*Red*~ said:
Yah, I barely caught them, and was sooo happy when I saw them. Lok over by the purse area, they usually have their scarves over there. If you can't find them, let me know, I can pick some up for you. I can send you pics of the other ones so you can choose.;)

I'll let you know if I'm able to find them this weekend. Thanks so much Red!!!

lyburnum

Practically Family
I'm a big fan of bandanas a la Shirley Temple:

shirley_mag1948_1.jpg

I could never do that centre part though - I hate my forehead!

melbournian said:
I wore a bandanna like a headband today, because my curls from yesterday are falling out and I needed something to hold it in a bit :) I wore it like a headband, thus:

2197123052_9dd9a4592d.jpg

I'm still a bit shy to wear it out a la Rosie, but I'll probably have to at some point if my hair's in pins :)

That's how I wear mine! I bought another 2 today from Primark & I love them!! Sometimes I wear them in on my head & sometimes I fold them & wear them as a scarf.

Wear the bandana with pride girls!!! :eusa_clap

BTW Melbournian, you so preety :)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I want all of you to know that not only do we wear bandanas in this household (I wear mine around my neck, cowboy style, or rolled up and worn as a headband), but my 88-year old mother commandeered a couple of do-rags I acquired off ebay and wears them!!

Do-rags are those already-tied-back bandanas the bikers wear. So, my petite mother, everybody's sweet old granny, now runs around with a black do-rag, complete with red-orange flames, on her cute little head.

Your teacher is a backwards jerk, like many who criticize what they don't have the creativity and brains to understand. We at the Lounge are familiar with them, ask anyone who loves and wears fedoras.

karol

Smuterella

One Too Many
K.D. Lightner said:
IDo-rags are those already-tied-back bandanas the bikers wear. So, my petite mother, everybody's sweet old granny, now runs around with a black do-rag, complete with red-orange flames, on her cute little head.

I love this, it has made me smile

please, please, please can we have a picture. is that rude?

rachw182

New in Town
I know how you felt with a teacher making fun of you.
The same thing happened to me with the way I learn.
I guess we just have to ignore people and their rude comments and know that they are just jealous of us!
People just need to learn to accept everybody for whom they truly are.

MJistheBOMB

New in Town
My 2 cents....

Bandana's are definetly okay! I think they're so cute and stylish.

I remember years ago, I met this girl name Barbara when my friends and I would go play pool all the time and Barbara would play with us as well when she was there. She was had a Rockabilly style that was so awesome....and one night she had the Rosie The Riveter look goin' on, red lipstick, bandana, she looked so cute. At one point she told me that some girls, gave her a weird look and laughed. I told her, "They're just jealous because you look beautiful..."

I think that's what the reality of it is....people who have the nerve to make fun of others because of how they're dressed are just plain jealous! Like someone else here mentioned, they just wish they had the nerve to be different.

Growing up, in school, I was always well dressed because my mom just had good taste in clothes. In Jr. high, I had to deal with a girl that treated me like dirt and did her best to turn others againt me as well. She put me through a lot of pain....even invited me to a roller rink one time with the rest of my friends and then they all ditched me....anyway, I didn't realize until later that she was jealous because I had great style (or that was at least one of the reasons). I came to this conclusion when I thought of something she said to me one day in school, "Maybe she was mean to you because you have nice clothes...." I remember when she said that to me I was actually shocked inside because the "nice" clothes I wore was all I knew so I never thought I was any different from anyone else....I never treated people bad because I thought I looked better, ya know? LOL.

Anyhoo, everyone just be who you are! Different is better! :) Bandana's are great, I buy them in different colors and designs myself...they're fun.

Monique

swinggal

One Too Many
I wear bandanas rolled up as headbands all the time and Rosie style.

Funny about the 'do-rag' thing. Do-rag was definately what the Rosie style was called in the day. One of my vintage hair books calls it that too.

In the 1930s women wore bandanna-like fabric to fasten their hairstyles in place while they set. In the 1940s the style among women shifted into the workplace where they were taking over factory jobs and needed a safe way to keep their hair out of the machinery. Rosie the Riveter is famously featured wearing the blue-collar woman's do-rag.

allies-bomb-northern-nazi-germany-67.jpg

wow.jpg

I love the rosie look :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I just got a specialty one this weekend at Rockmount Western Wear here in Denver. It's a salmon color with the profiles of a bunch of cowgirls with their names by them. It is so cute. I think $8 was a little extravagant for a bandana, but I love it. I'll try to put a pic up at some point.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Joie DeVive said:
I just got a specialty one this weekend at Rockmount Western Wear here in Denver. It's a salmon color with the profiles of a bunch of cowgirls with their names by them. It is so cute. I think $8 was a little extravagant for a bandana, but I love it. I'll try to put a pic up at some point.
That sounds super cute Joie!! You should post a pic when you get a chance! :D

Lillemor

One Too Many
I'm all for bandanas or actually any kind of square scarf! They can hide a multitude of hairstyling mistakes which newbies like I have on a daily basislol This is going to sound strange, but I think they actually have a facelifting effect on me. They're great for controlling curled styles on windy days.

I still resort to modern, rainproof hooded jackets where the hoot can tie securely around my face because I just can't bring myself to buy and wear one of those clear plastic things little old ladies buy at the supermarket.

Inky

One Too Many
I love bandana's and have a bunch in different colors and now I'm scrounging shops for vintage/vintage style ones. Sorry I missed those at Wal-Mart mentioned earlier in the year!

Bandana's are great when my hair turns out badly as in this case when I practiced a new set on foam rollers and ended up a tad bit too curly on day one. Made for a nice couple of curls in front and I got many compliments that day. Turn bad hair into lemonade!

2648668182_4c7cb30961.jpg

rachw182

New in Town
I wore my hair in rag curls with a bandana to the fireworks on the 4th.

I figured it would be better than getting weird looks.

One morning, I went through the drive-thru at Tim Hortons with my hair in rag curls

and an old man was staring at me through the window with the most humerous look!

(It was one of complete disbelief and confusion :D)

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
I wear them in just about every possible way they can be tied.
Last Saturday I wore one to the 2008 Kings Royal race at Eldora Speedway.
My favorite driver is the "Wild Child" Jac Haudenschild. His sponsor is Owens Corning so he has the Pink Panther on his car. My bandana was hot pink with paw prints on it. When I met him after the race he said "nice bandana".

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner