Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banter lines

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Surely banter is simply light hearted discussion, generally engaged in by acquaintances, and by its very nature is unplanned and off-the-cuff, if you will. It's about being quick, and original.

Are we talking banter, or flirting, or put-downs in this thread?

bk

Good Baron- I'm prepared to offer our Americans the benefit of the doubt on this definition and go with the 'joshing', 'ragging' and general 'ribbing' ambience, as illustrated this far, in the readers' contributions.

"Hey Cher, you look like a Million Bucks... or did it cost more..."
-Denis Pennis.

B
T

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Hey the war is over, get parts for your head?

What do you feed your kids; DOG CHOW?

"Given?"

Well, doesn't that just raise the hair on the cat's back?"

Let's run it up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes.

Let's put that out on the back porch and see if the cat brings it in?

So, now I know why the caged bird sings.

I'd post some flirtateous ones, but this is a family freindly place.;)

Zach R.

Practically Family
I agree, I'd leave the ones we use towards the opposite sex out.:p

My group of friends and I frequently use movie quotes, but my favorites that I use most frequently come from Tombstone(rife with great one-liners), Uncle Buck, Back to the Future, and Star Wars.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
The Bingstress said:
Now that I've lived in Texas for nearly three years, I have picked up the saying from my husband Craig, "I tell you what!"

It doesn't translate that well here, but when said with the right intonation, it can mean anything from, "You moron" to "I was just about to smack someone." It's a great exclamation for any occasion. ;)

My personal Texas favorite is "Bless her heart..." It always prefaces something negative, as though saying it beforehand somehow makes the awful thing you are about to say perfectly okay. lol "Bless her heart, she has horrible hair!" "Bless her heart, she just cannot seem to form a coherent sentence." etc.

We're constantly using lines from "White Christmas."

Caledonia

Practically Family
Not sure I'm getting this thread, but here goes. I love "I'm sure I....." It invariably means "I am so uncertain about this..."

The below are really useful in general conversation but are, ahem, particularly effective with the gents :D. Although not obviously the lounge gents anymore 'cos now you'll know!:)

1 You are really intelligent.
2 Of course you're going to be a (insert chosen vocation), and you'll be a great one. Response: How do you know? Me - It's obvious. You will achieve anything you put your mind to.
3 Y'know, you've got depth.
4 You look great, really. You know I don't lie.
5 I'd go with another colour, but then if you're making a statement - it's great!
6 Wow! Is that your car? Insert shoes, house, briefcase, monkey wrench or whatever else paddles their canoe!

And in general to anyone

6 Get a grip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8panelnewsboy