Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bar soaps

lareine

A-List Customer
When my aunt passed away 16 years ago she left me 8 bars of Lux soap. I used them all and that was the last time I used bar soap. Sometimes I regret it that I used them all, but I think Lux is still around over here.
It's still around here in New Zealand, anyway!
http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Lux-Soap-Petal-Touch-6-Pack?SKU=895713

I ordered some Mitchell's Wool Fat soap the other day. I'm looking forward to trying it, and interested to see if it reminds me of rolling shorn fleeces when I was a teenager. Those fleeces were full of lanolin.

Last edited:

MissMittens

One Too Many
I still have some pre-ban English "coal tar" soap I found on eVilBay.......women have remarked on how much softer my skin is than theirs.....don't know if it's the soap, or the fact that I've never done the suntan thing. Always been covered when going out in the sun...

MissMittens

One Too Many
Is coal tar soap banned in the USA? Why??

It's banned in USA and Europe now unless you have a prescription because it causes the skin to burn in sun much much easier. At first they were thinking of banning it in the 60's as a cancer causing agent, but in therapeutic doses it was fine, so they let it go. Then the FDA had it removed from over the counter stuff and you can only get products with it if you have a prescription.

The number 1 use for coal tar was psoriasis shampoo

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I don't think so -- I bought some from Escentual just the other day. It has been shipped but hasn't reached me yet -- I'm looking forward to trying it!

Hmm, I assumed it was discontinued because it was removed from the C&E website; I dearly hope they still have it at my local C&E outlet store! I hope you like it as much as I do; it's the loveliest face soap I've ever found. I have combination skin (oily forehead/dry cheeks) and this is soothing and effective for both problems!

dmoran227

Familiar Face
Just as in style the fl ladies have fabulous taste in soap. I love to make cold process soap but there are times when I run out or the latest batch is still curing and the store brands soaps I favor are Kirks, Dr Bronners, Dove and my favorite Canus Goat milk. I'm a huge believer in the superiority of soap. I just can't fathom how a synthetic detergent is better than saponified oils. Which by the way is why it creates more scum. Liquid body washes (they can't label it soap because it isn't is detergent, the same ones used in shampoos). In fact there really is little difference between commercial shampoo and body wash check out the labels.I even have a vintage bottle of queen helene shampoo for tinted hair, that suggests using as a body wash as well! The reason soap got a bad rap is companies quickly realized that glycerin( by product of natural soap) being the huge cosmetic commodity it is, could be extracted and sold separately. The remaining bar still lathered and was sold as soap. Soap that has not been stripped of its glycerin, is creamy, lathering and does not strip skin(Bronners, kirk's canus).
We have a UK import shop near my home they carry Lux soap. It's huge in India and I always see it in there markets.
For you ladies lamenting the loss of coal soap, maybe you'd like to try making your own? I find making soap huge fun, superior to store bought and my kids love it. I've seen recipes, the coal tar itself isn't outlawed just the cosmetic use of it. Shouldn't be hard to find. And as an added bonus you could combine with oils you find benaficial for your skin.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Just a little addendum to my opinion about Claus Porto soap...I'm still using it and enjoying that wonderful violet scent, but I did use it on my face a few times and had the worst case of dry flaky skin on my cheeks than ever I think (my skin is normally, well, normal with a slight tendency to t-zone oiliness). I guess it's only meant to be used as a body soap.

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
I'm using original scent Neutrogena bar soap, one at each sink and in the shower:

3001.jpg

I even have a perfume that smells exactly like it :)

dmoran227

Familiar Face
I'm using original scent Neutrogena bar soap, one at each sink and in the shower:

3001.jpg

From age 13 to 30 Neutrogena was the ONLY soap I used on my face Noxzema when dry or irritated. Most of the time I was broke and used ivory or dove on my body to make it last longer but for Christmas every year I got the soap set along with the rainbath. I adore that scent. Smelling it now would probably transport me to 1983... Sadly once I hit 30 it just became two drying. That is a GREAT soap!
What's the name of the perfume? I imagine it to be unisex as the scent was very traditional eau de cologne.

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
From age 13 to 30 Neutrogena was the ONLY soap I used on my face Noxzema when dry or irritated. Most of the time I was broke and used ivory or dove on my body to make it last longer but for Christmas every year I got the soap set along with the rainbath. I adore that scent. Smelling it now would probably transport me to 1983... Sadly once I hit 30 it just became two drying. That is a GREAT soap!
What's the name of the perfume? I imagine it to be unisex as the scent was very traditional eau de cologne.

You really know your fragrance, it IS listed in both the men and womens sections of this perfumery in New Orleans :):

http://www.neworleansperfume.com/sandal-men.htm

http://www.neworleansperfume.com/sandal.htm

dmoran227

Familiar Face
Yeah I'm a bit of a fragrance geek. As seems to be the case all the way around for me nothing much in the modern way.Any scent my best friend calls "old lady" I'm bound to love. I am also quite infatuated with New Orleans history. I'm a sucker for any product that can say they've been doing it for 164 years. AND it's perfume. AND THEY SELL IT IN VINTAGE STYLE DECANTERS AND ATOMIZERS TO BOOT!!!!!

Blast you for giving me that link! :)

I can say with certainty I will be making a purchase....

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
Yeah I'm a bit of a fragrance geek. As seems to be the case all the way around for me nothing much in the modern way.Any scent my best friend calls "old lady" I'm bound to love. I am also quite infatuated with New Orleans history. I'm a sucker for any product that can say they've been doing it for 164 years. AND it's perfume. AND THEY SELL IT IN VINTAGE STYLE DECANTERS AND ATOMIZERS TO BOOT!!!!!

Blast you for giving me that link! :)

I can say with certainty I will be making a purchase....

Try the travel size in the women's section, I believe it's only $7.50, but as sure as God made little green apples, it the original Neutrogena scent.

I use Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap and laundry soap exclusively. Love the stuff.
RD

I haven't used it in a while. I think they make an almond one too. Trader Joes has carried it now and then.

I usually stay away from heavy scented soaps. Soaps with moisturizers never seem to rinse clean and make me itch! I will use the Pure Castile soap often. The Neutragena clear soap dries my skin out too much. For skin problems during the winter I like Packers Pine Tar Soap but Grandpas Pine Tar soap works almost as good.

lareine

A-List Customer
Hmm, I assumed it [Rosewater & Cold Cream soap] was discontinued because it was removed from the C&E website; I dearly hope they still have it at my local C&E outlet store! I hope you like it as much as I do; it's the loveliest face soap I've ever found. I have combination skin (oily forehead/dry cheeks) and this is soothing and effective for both problems!

I just got back to New Zealand this morning and my order from Escentual was waiting for me, including the Rosewater & Cold Cream soap. I noticed on the box that it is made in England under licence. I wonder if that makes any difference to whether it is available to you in Canada or the USA. Of course it could be discontinued anyway and Escentual are just selling off old stock, but if you really want some then you would do well to look at the British etailers.

Last edited:

lareine

A-List Customer
My childhood favorite was Cashmere Bouquet, which I haven't seen in stores for about twenty years.

I don't know Cashmere Bouquet, but I just won an auction for a mixed batch of soaps and it was in there! I thought of you immediately as I remembered your reply here. Does this look like what you remember?
174068070_full.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner