Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bar soaps

lareine

A-List Customer
What are your favourite bar soaps for washing with? When did liquid soaps become popular, anyway? I still prefer a bar for washing my hands. I have lots of nice shower gels but sometimes, especially in the bath, you can't beat an actual bar of something.

Right now I am using Caswell-Massey almond cold cream soap at the sink, and Woods of Windsor rose soap in the shower. Caswell-Massey is an American company founded in 1752 and the almond cold cream soap was apparently a favourite of the Eisenhowers. Woods of Windsor is a British company that has a history going back hundreds of years. The rose soap is lovely and scents the whole bathroom. It reminds me very much of my grandmother, who always had rose soap in the bathroom when I was a child.

What do you like to use?

zombi

A-List Customer
Mr Zombi and I both prefer bar soap in the shower.

I like Villainess Soaps and Arcana soaps, which I buy at The Soap Box Company. Soap Box carries a lot of nice, handmade soaps! :)

I really like the Villainess "Villainess" and "Blush" scents. From Arcana I really like "Huntress" . Mr Zombi likes their "Filthy Viking" a lot!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I second LUSH! Honey I Washed the Kids is my ULTIMATE favourite scent. I think Sultana of Soap, Lily Savon (retro), and Love Birds (limited edition) are close seconds. They also carry liquid soaps in which case I think Olive Branch is my favourite there. Each scent pleases a different mood for me. Weather I want to feel zesty, earthy, vintage, or yummy... I have so much to choose from. I currently have near 75 products in my LUSH stash!

DigThatBeat

Familiar Face
I use Pre de Provence Peony and Honey Almond soaps. A few months ago I tried to make my own soap using a kit from the craft store, it was a huge fail.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I like Pears soap, although they have changed the formulation of it recently, (boo hiss) and it smells a little chemically, but i'm a die-hard user, so i still keep a bar in the kitchen to wash my hands with.

Otherwise i like Bronnley or Crabtree and Evelyn.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I'm not much of a bar soap user even though from a tactile point of view I prefer it, as most of what I've tried seems to leave a filminess that shower gels don't. That having been said, funnily enough, I've just purchased a bar of Claus Porto violet soap, mostly because I adore pure violet scent, but in part because I couldn't resist the beautiful vintage-y packaging. I've heard very good things about the brand, too.

Have I just not been using the right brands of soap with regards to that "scummy" or "filmy" feeling?

Drappa

One Too Many
I always use bars in the shower, but liquid soap for hand washing. Usually I love Dove soap, especially the cucumber scented ones, and if I'm feeling like a big splurge Lush's fig and leaves soap - absolutely adore it.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I prefer hand made soap, I used to have a big stash from an old neighbor who made it and would give me a basketful every year but I think I am down to my last few bars as she has moved :( I have considered learning to make my own but not sure I have the extra time and energy and it seems so expensive to buy is that enough whining for you:p.

zombi

A-List Customer
Bunnyb.gal -- it may be your water. I mean how hard or soft it is.

I like LUSH soaps but we don't have a LUSH store here and their online shipping prices are absurd, so I quit ordering from them. I also had a LOT of trouble getting their stuff delivered to me! It would be late or never show up and I got tired of it. I really liked the 13 Unlucky for Dirt soap as well as The Godmother. :( When I visit cities that have a LUSH, sometimes I still pick up a few bars.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I like LUSH soaps but we don't have a LUSH store here and their online shipping prices are absurd, so I quit ordering from them. I also had a LOT of trouble getting their stuff delivered to me! It would be late or never show up and I got tired of it. I really liked the 13 Unlucky for Dirt soap as well as The Godmother. :( When I visit cities that have a LUSH, sometimes I still pick up a few bars.

I am not sure where you are, but if you are in the States order from the UK site. The prices are about 1/3 cheaper, the shipping isn't that bad around 10$ USD if you are under x amount of weight and you get your order just as fast. I have never had an issue with receiving orders and I get them in about a week. Once half of my order came in one box and a few days later the other half came, but that has been my only "problem".

lareine

A-List Customer
I'm not much of a bar soap user even though from a tactile point of view I prefer it, as most of what I've tried seems to leave a filminess that shower gels don't.

Have I just not been using the right brands of soap with regards to that "scummy" or "filmy" feeling?
It seems to be a common thing with soap bars causing showers to become scummy. I think the fats in the soap bars are harder to rinse off. I get around the problem by using a fresh facecloth every time and wiping down the shower with the facecloth before I get out. Seems to work well, and it means I never have to actually take time to clean the shower because it's always clean :)

Tempora et mores

New in Town
I am a Yardley loyalist when it comes to soap, although it is getting increasingly more difficult to find - I switch between their Lavender (which complements my shampoo and body powder nicely) and Lilly of the Valley (just because it makes the entire bathroom smell divine). I also adore Lush's Porridge, which is, sadly, the only one of their soaps that does not leave my skin wretchedly dry. But like all things nauseatingly sweet (why yes, coming from me it is a compliment) I keep it down to small doses and rare occasions. Besides, I would never learn not to bite into it.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For soap scum I spray the shower down with white vinegar to try and keep it down and use a squeege. We have some of the hardest water in the US here, and if you don't do something everytime you shower you can't see out the door.

I like Canus Goat Milk Soap for my face.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I find that Dove is the WORST for scum in the shower. I reckon that "1/4 moisurising creme" just sticks to my tiles and not to my skin.

On a daily basis I like Wrights Coal Tar soap (my great grandmother used it and had lovely skin) or Dettol anti-bacterial soap - even though neither of them are exactly luxurious. And for a bit of indulgence, these handmade Norfolk soaps (as recommended by AllAboutEve) are gorgeous.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I only use bar soaps in the shower. I have very confused skin, anything to heavy or moisturizing causes pimples and anything too dry causes flakes and painful cracking. I prefer handmade soap when I can get it. A lot of the farmers' markets and street fairs will have booths set up with little old ladies or aging hippies selling their handmade bars. Those are always the best. If I run out during the winter, when there are no markets and street fairs, I'll use either Lush Honey I Washed the Kids or Dr. Bronner's castile in lavender.

C_Clarke

New in Town
Hello, this is my first post. :) I prefer two brands for bar soap (not liking liquid after using it for a little while):

L'Occitane's Extra Gentle
Nubian Heritage's organic Mango Butter Soap and/or Coconut and Papaya

The liquid soaps make my hands/body feel really dry after usage and they just don't smell as nice as bar soaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner