Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbeque

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
No, I'm not speaking of that activity you do in the summer with your friends gathered around a charcoal grill with some hotdogs, chicken breast, and a bottle of Heinz Bar-B-Q sauce; No, that's grilling, my friends.

I'm talking real, down-home, classic, American Barbeque. Whether it's South Carolina's mustard-sauce pork or Texas Beef Brisket, what is it that inspires you, that motivates you to drive for miles for a pulled pork sandwich?

I live in Boston; it's all derivative here, but when I travel down south, I always delve into the local cuisine. "Delve," in this case, translates as "Gorge myself."

People have been eating barbeque (noun) for years. Some say it was invented by the Native Americans. What do you know of historic barbeque and the traditions in your area, or of the barbeque you've enjoyed?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love me some BBQ!

And there is a swell place right next door to my house - the Brick Pig's House! fabulous for those times when i feel not like cooking. I think I like their beef ribs the best, but it's all good.
Another wonderful place is in El Dorado, CA, called Poor Red's and Rich Opal's. Not only great BBQ, but their bar invented the Golden Cadillac, and they are the worlds largest consumer of Galliano liquer. A wonderful, down home kind of country place. Pretty much nothing in there has changed since the early 60s, and probably not since before that (before my time).
And if you're ever in Virginia City, Nevada, there's a pulled pork sandwich there that is the best I ever had!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
I live in Boston; it's all derivative here, but when I travel down south, I always delve into the local cuisine. "Delve," in this case, translates as "Gorge myself."

I disagree! If you go to Red Bones, it's derivative. But there are a couple places here that are very good (and less full of obnoxious college students) - Blue Ribbon in Arlington is good, but for the real winner, try the Pit Stop in Mattapan (sorry, but to get really good BBQ in the cold North, you have to go to black neighborhoods). It's only open on weekends and there's one table. The pulled pork is succulent, the collard greens are perfect, and the cornbread isn't too sweet.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Someday I need to get to Carolina to try the pork; it sounds so delicious. My favorite is Texas-style beef brisket, sliced, not pulled. Best place I've ever had it was at the Central Texan Barbecue in Castroville, CA (opened by a transplanted Texan). I need to get to Texas to go on a BBQ binge.lol

A few years ago, I ate at Jay's Barbecue, a wonderful joint down in Marble Hill, Missouri. They had delicious pulled pork that I wish I could get again.

I don't guess I'll try it in Memphis, though, as I don't enjoy ribs at all, too little meat, too much work, too much mess.

Oh, I get to craving barbecue somethin' fierce, and living here in Utah there is BBQ exile.

I used to have a smoker and made my own, but haven't had one for nearly 20 years. Need to buy a new one.

Doggone it, now my mouth's watering.

Brad

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I prefer the pulled pork, brisket and best of all, the burnt ends. Probably the best BBQ I've had is at Stubb's in Austin, TX. Absolutely divine.

Hemingway Jones, there's also a great BBQ place in Providence that's in a really sketchy part of town, behind some weird rowdy nightclub. This BBQ joint is one of the only places open really late in Providence, at least til 3am or so.

warbird

One Too Many
I cleaned out the Weber smoker this weekend. I already have a pork butt and some ribs to smoke up. I myself prefer TN west to TX BBQ, not east of TN though. I love brisket, but I am not as good at it as I would like to be. TN BBQ is either dry rub ribs or tangy slightly hot sauce, classic bbq sauce. Texans use very similar sauce, but they don't use much dry rub and they prefer beef to pork. I like both myself.

I do not like Carolina BBQ, it's too vinegary and too much mustard in their sauces as well. Would love to have any of you come on down south and enjoy some fine Q with us.

Like Hemingway I also like Burnt Ends, they are found Texas up tro about kansas City. It's hard to find them anyplace else, but boy they are good.

BBQ Pork ribs are my fav. Two incredible events for BBQ are at the Jack Daniels festival in the spring and Memphis in May with the world championships of q there. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM mmmmmmmmmm, good.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We used to have real, authentic Kansas City-style BBQ just up the street from me, a little roadside shack called "Piggy's." A heaping mound of a pulled-pork sandwich and the best fries in town, and change back from a five. The guy who ran it moved into the area, got frustrated because he couldn't get any decent barbecue, and went into business to make his own -- he became so successful his wife finally made him sell the place: "I married a computer-science major, not a barbecue guy!!"

So that was the end of Piggy's -- the new owner turned it into a fish-and-chips stand, ho hum. Just as well though -- on summer days, when I had the windows open, the barbecue fumes became overwhelming, with terrible consequences for my waistline.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
One of my neighbor's is retired and operates a barbecue stand in St. Paul during the summer months with a buddy of his. Last summer this neighbor offered to provide ribs for our annual neighborhood golf party and the ribs were quite yummy. I need to head to his stand this summer.

rumblefish

One Too Many
I wish I could find barbequed suckling pig. I'd honestly prefer to have it out at a restaurant than make it myself (way to much work), but a few times a year I tend the grill for 12 hours to make some friends and family happy. The one I made last fall,
DSC00519.jpg

this one I finished up inside.

Probably some places in Manhattan offer it? Any ideas anyone?
In Cozumel, Mexico it was everywhere. One place I had it, served it at a station on a buffet. I was the only one having at it, I wiped out both panels of ribs:essen:

rumblefish said:
I wish I could find barbequed suckling pig. I'd honestly prefer to have it out at a restaurant than make it myself (way to much work), but a few times a year I tend the grill for 12 hours to make some friends an family happy. The one I made last fall,
DSC00519.jpg

this one I finished up inside.

Probably some places in Manhattan offer it? Any ideas anyone?
In Cozumel, Mexico it was everywhere. One place I had it, served it a station on a buffet. I was the only having at it, I wiped out both panels of ribs:essen:

You didn't save some for the little guy there in the picture pointing at the ribs? ;) :p
I can't really give any good recommendations for my area. I have to go pretty far to find some decent BBQ.[huh]

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
I love barbeque and thank goodness it is finally beginning to warm up here in the great midwest so it's now barbeque season! Barbeque means low and slow with good smoke. I am planning on cooking a pork shoulder on Friday night and Saturday. It'll take about 16 hours but is well worth the effort.
My cooker of choice is the Big Green Egg. I highly recommend it for anyone considering barbeque.

BGE.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
KittyT said:
I disagree! If you go to Red Bones, it's derivative. But there are a couple places here that are very good (and less full of obnoxious college students) - Blue Ribbon in Arlington is good, but for the real winner, try the Pit Stop in Mattapan (sorry, but to get really good BBQ in the cold North, you have to go to black neighborhoods). It's only open on weekends and there's one table. The pulled pork is succulent, the collard greens are perfect, and the cornbread isn't too sweet.
Oh I agree! I'm not saying that our barbeque is bad. I LOVE Red Bones, and Blue Ribbon, especially Blue Ribbon. Soul Fire is awfully good too. It's just that we're not known for it, that it's not our culture in the same way it is in S. Carolina. We don't have places that have been here for 50 years as they do in the real heart of barbeque country. Just as we can claim clam chowder and lobster; you can get it elsewhere, but here, it's our birthright!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot