Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbeque

Chainsaw

Suspended
Cracked black pepper is good too. Just take pepper corns, and lay your French blade on them sideways. lean on them till they crack, and chop them a bit after wards. Use like a rub.

To give the steaks some colour, you can baste them with milk and chopped garlic! A must do for chicken, I tell you.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Diamondback said:
Mmmmmmmmmmm... gaaaaaaaaaaahlic... you're giving me ideas about putting together a pepper-and-garlic rub. (Or mixing them in with the meat next time I make burgers could be good, too.)

Oh right on man! Garlic in the burgers is fantastic. As well as chopped fried onions, and Green peppers. alltogether. garlic for the after taste green pepper for their texture, and spice, and fried onions for the flavor. Wine vinegar or balsamic can be nice in the paddies too.

Cheers!

John in Covina said:
Montreal Steak Seasoning - i tend to put it on the steak about the time i start the coals.

Let it sit on it a little while. It tastes pretty darned good after a few days. I washed it off with beer gradually while the steak cooked. Kind of like the rock salt rub many use. You take it off before you serve it because it is far too salty otherwise. ;)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Chainsaw said:
Oh right on man! Garlic in the burgers is fantastic. As well as chopped fried onions, and Green peppers. alltogether. garlic for the after taste green pepper for their texture, and spice, and fried onions for the flavor. Wine vinegar or balsamic can be nice in the paddies too.

Cheers!

The last time I made burgers, I sat the patties on slices of grilled sourdough bread rubbed with garlic. But nothing goes in my patties except beef, salt & pepper.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Chainsaw said:

Cheers!

I use a Tupperware hamburger press for uniformity. Sometimes I'll put in half the ground meat, press it, add a layer of blue cheese crumbles, then add the rest of the ground meat, and press that into the final patty. Grill as usual.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
With apologies to John in Covina, I did not go out for the Montreal steak seasoning, but used another dry rub of paprika, garlic powder, thyme, oregano, crushed peppercorns, salt, and cayenne pepper. Let it set for about 30-40 minutes in the fridge, then grilled it up.

The veggie portion was sliced carrots, string beans, and corn on the cob, grilled in the husk.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Wally_Hood said:
I use a Tupperware hamburger press for uniformity. Sometimes I'll put in half the ground meat, press it, add a layer of blue cheese crumbles, then add the rest of the ground meat, and press that into the final patty. Grill as usual.

Ah! no way man! Tupperwares the est! you can use those hamburger portions for ice creme sandwiches as well! Just use big cookies, and you can whip the ice creme with a lender if you want man. I gotta think you's guys are amaturer's though. If you want the good burgers you gotta mix your three basics. Pork, beef, and veal. these skills are far beyond what youz peoples know though. o if you might excuse me, I gotta post in the beer thread.;) lol

Chainsaw

Suspended
That sounds pretty interesting Puzzigato.

Puzzicato said:
The last time I made burgers, I sat the patties on slices of grilled sourdough bread rubbed with garlic. But nothing goes in my patties except beef, salt & pepper.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Not Quen' just grillin'

Wally_Hood said:

Gotta get me one of those. I've been taking a big old chuck roast, running it through the grinder with the big hole plate. I season with a little salt, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder then run it through the small holes. Very light on the spices or just s&p. My next step is to pack a gallon zip lock with about 15 to 18 oz's of meat and use a rolling pin to get all the air I can out. Zip it up and put in freezer to firm it up a bit. A very sharp knife makes six square patties(cut right through the bag) which you can now bag up and fully freeze or use. Leave the zip lock plastic on when you freeze and the burgers will cleave apart easily and unwrap cleanly.
Tom D.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Belle Fatale said:
I realize you posted this more'n a minute ago, but I have to take exception to the sharp delineation of sauce territories in this map. I am an Upstate girl born and bred, but I grew up eating mustard barbecue like a civilized person. ;) Don't really care for the tomato or ketchup kinds, myself.

Someone once that that if the joint has a German name, it's likely mustard based; Scotch-Irish, vinegar. I never had mustard until I went to the University and visited Maurice's and the now defunct Ray Lever's in Blythewood.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Eh, here's a new variation. The Canada Ceaser. Romain lettuce (Andy's boy brand), back bacon, lemon zest, home made read crumbs (lot's of butter & fresh garlic.), bottled dressing ( I know shoot me please)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just smoked a 4lb loin yesterday.
Prep: Injected with beer, butter and spices. Slathered in dijon mustard and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, rubbed with brown sugar, sugar, cayenne, garlic powder, cumin. Let stand in fridge overnight.
Smoked: Used hickory wood at about 230F, draped in St. Louis salty, fatty bacon. Basted with apple juice every hour. Cooked for roughly 5 hours until 180f - then wrapped in foil for 30 minutes to retain juice.

The loin turned out AMAZING! Extremely juicy, very flavorful, good by itself or with a thick and sweet sauce. I had it in sandwiches and by itself.

Served it hot with fresh Iowa sweet corn (straight from the farm!), fresh rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy. Now THAT is a good Iowa BBQ!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chainsaw said:

Cheers!

Hi, we used to use fresh chopped onion, chopped green pepper, and a French Onion soup mix to make burgers with. VERY good, but SERIOUS indigestion.

Later

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Venison haunch, just in a little olive oil, salt & pepper, soaked rosemary branches for smoke. Absolutely gorgeous! I made a red currant and red wine sauce and dauphinois potatoes using spuds I dug today. Pictures to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner