Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

Feraud

Bartender
kbadr said:
I forgot I started this thread.

The straight razor shave was underwhelming. She didn't even use a brush! And the shave wasn't as close as I've been able to get when shaving myself. Is that normal? I'd always read that a straight-razor shave will be the closest you'll ever get...though that might only apply if you're the one dragging the blade across your face.
Huh? No brush? Did she shave you dry?

Valhson

One of the Regulars
kbadr said:
I forgot I started this thread.

The straight razor shave was underwhelming. She didn't even use a brush! And the shave wasn't as close as I've been able to get when shaving myself. Is that normal? I'd always read that a straight-razor shave will be the closest you'll ever get...though that might only apply if you're the one dragging the blade across your face.

I only use a straight well a couple. Sorry to here this. A straight will get you extremely close. My question is did she shave you with the grain, accross the grain and then against the grain? or a combination there of?

kbadr

Familiar Face
Valhson said:
My question is did she shave you with the grain, accross the grain and then against the grain? or a combination there of?

I believe she used a combination. It's been a while so I can't remember. She nicked the shit out of my face, though. But my neck is particularly sensitive so I don't hold that against her.

She used shaving cream out of one of those warm lather machines.

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
Straight Razor Shave

A couple of years ago when the US dollar was not so decimated I took some vacations to Ireland. First thing I did when I saw all the barber shop signs offering wet shaves was get myself one. It was heavenly. Been trying to find someplace in SouthEastern Wisconsin where I can get one. Used to be a barber in Madison who was in business for 40 years shaving all the state legislators - Alas as all good things that came to pass and he retired.
There is a place in Chicago which offers cut throat shaves I hear but way high end .... paid 20 bucks in Dublin for the shave.

Douglas

Valhson

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic: I must admit I find my current profession boring and dream of opening a proper gentlemens barbershop. The whole thing; wet shaves, commplimentary drink, good conversation and all. Alas, I am tied to my desk for a couple of years more... I just bring this up as the post above was lamenting the passing of said style shops.

Granted there are a few around here in DC but $60-75 a shave? And no offense to the ladies but the old guys made the shave magical where as my current place has some ladies that try and just aren't up to snuff at this part. Great hair cuts though... I assume I wouldn't be that good at shaving legs though :eusa_doh:

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Two questions arrise---

Tomasso said:
$55[/url]

Answer to the first question is: Yes. Tip. 20%. I am a college prof now but worked in a variety of "tippable" jobs to get my education. Having been there, I tip very generously when service is good and am not so generous when it isn't. Truth is though, if someone is holding a razor to my neck I'm pretty likely to see it generously when I get up!! Seriously, why ask? Service is very valuable and should be tipped! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap My norm is 20% unless they work hard to discourage it. Excellent service as high as 30- yes, I've had service that warranted that- a pleasant evening becomes delightful- it is the waiter/waitress!!

Second question that the $55.00 puts in my head- how many times does it take to justify just buying a good razor? Or at least investing in some good supplies with a good shaver? (I have to admit that my memory of shaves even 10 years ago far surpass what you are likely to find today except in the rarest of shops- if you find one it is indeed a rare treat which is likely outside most of our budgets). How many $55 shaves equals one fine fedora starts to enter the thinking.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Hmmmm. . .

Followed the link on the $55.00 shave- that is $5.00 more than a hair-cut/style? Here was the skinny:

Haircut $50.00
Head Shave $55.00
Child Haircut (12 & younger) $35.00
Hot Lather Shave $55.00
Beard Trim $55.00
Neck Shave Only $25.00
Shampoo Only $25.00
Moustache or Sideburn Trim (no appointment needed) $10.00
Hair Coloring $80.00

Ouch!!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Valhson said:
I must admit I find my current profession boring and dream of opening a proper gentlemens barbershop. The whole thing; wet shaves, commplimentary drink, good conversation and all.

There was a chain of barbershops in this area that gave the customer a complimentary beer when he came in for a shave or haircut. Unfortunately, I was unaware of it until I heard about the attorney general issuing an opinion that declares this to be a violation of the liquor laws.

I guess they'll remain in business, though, it would be fun to get a straight razor shave. I currently use a Gem Micromatic Single Edge safety razor. It's supposed to be the closest you can get to using a straight razor, and I must admit it works pretty well. I'm not as smooth as I'd have imagined, but it's better than my Mach III ever was. Anyway, the fault probably lays in my technique and not my equipment.

-Dave

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
Tip - 15%

To follow up my comments on wet shaves in Dublin --->

Merchant Barber in Temple bar - First floor is two seat barber shop. Second floor is the real treat if sent up stairs - Pool Table and 5 chairs and its so like what a Barber shop should be - a gentlemans club.

Also got a wet shave at the Knights of the Green in St Stephens Green Ctr.

GWD

One Too Many
My first REAL barbershop shave.

Today I am a man! It took almost forty-one years but it finally happened.

I've been considering the purchase of a straight edged razor and all the paraphernalia that purchase requires. So to true to my modus operandi I've been doing my exhaustive research. I made an appointment @ Hawleywood's Barber Shop
in beautiful Costa Mesa, CA for 4:00pm sharp this afternoon.

I walked into the shop and was instantly mesmerized by all of the cool "old school" stuff on the walls, old time Rock and Roll, the old world barber shop chairs and the smell of pomade, aftershave and beer! That's right BEER! While sitting in the shop waiting my turn, Donnie Hawley(The Owner of this fine establishment) offers me a Pabst Blue Ribbon, not my favorite of beers but what the hell it's BEER and it's free! So I'm sipping my beer reading STUFF magazine when I notice a guy who walks into the door, an old co-worker of mine that I haven't seen in 5 years! What are the chances? So he sits down and we catch up on old times for about 5 minutes and then it's time for my shave.

First things first, the warm towel, I was expecting a HOT towel, it was almost luke warm, my first expectation was a bit of a let down. Next the shave, again my expectations were that the razor was going to be so sharp that I was barely going to feel the razor glide across my face. I felt it many times. I've got to tell you, this is absolutely the closest shave I've ever had!

I'm definitely going to invest in straight razor soon.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Sounds like a great experience, I've not ever done this before but wondered if the barber shop shave was worth it. I may have to go to my local barber for a clean, close shave. (and hopefully a beer while I wait!).;)

splatt

One of the Regulars
Nothing beats a razor shave :)

I had my first one in 1992 at a barbershop in the back streets of Istanbul and i was hooked...even though the experience was quite scary.

It wasn't the shave that was scary, it was the bit after the barber dipped a large cotton bud into a bowl of liquid, lit it with a match and then started slapping my upper face cheek with the flaming stick to burn-off hair that they don't shave :eek:

GWD

One Too Many
kabuto said:
Clean being the operative word here. I wouldn't get a shave from a place that wipes its straightrazors in alcohol. They should have an autoclave. There have been hepatitis B and C cases traced to barbershop shaves.

I understand that alot of infections have been traced to hospitals too, what's your point?

Aviator

Familiar Face
Verrrry cool, Paddy

I'm a sucker for olde style barbershops and diners. I love getting warm lather on the back of my neck followed by a straight razor.

Of course, just saw "Eastern Promises" last week. Now I will keep one eye open when the barber pulls out the straight razor.lol

Tophat Dan

New in Town
Straght razors are the best!

I just started shaving with a straight razor. It takes a little longer due to the extra steps you have to take, but the shave is really worth it! Everyone told me that I'd "cut my face to ribbons" when I started using it, but oddly enough I find that I get more cuts from the multiple bladed modern disposables for some reason. Just a little advise if anyone here is thinking about taking up the habit:

1. Soften your beard before you shave. It really helps. A hot washcloth (hot as you can comfortably stand) draped over the part of your face you'll be shaving does wonders.

2. Get a good edge on your razor. This is almost impossible to explain in text without pictures, but if you can sharpen a pocket knife, you can do it.

3. Invest in or make a decent strop. You don't necessarily need the expensive woven hemp canvas ones; leather will do fine. I made mine out if some good 4-5 oz. vegetable tanned leather I had laying around. If you make yours, make sure it's veg. tan and not chrome tan. Chrome tan will dull your blades. Also be sure it is clear of range marks, scars, etc.

Happy shaving!

Top hat Dan

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
This was an old 1920's barbershop in Portland, Maine.

USATRIP07041.jpg

USATRIP07042.jpg

USATRIP07043.jpg

A man in a barber's chair wearing a hat? Only at the fedora lounge.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran