Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BARBISIO Brothers

Barbisio in Carnagione colour. Twotone puggaree style ribbon. Bound brim at 7cm and crown 10,5cm at the pinch. It was listed as a womens' hat and without a size. I bid on it anyway, taking a chance and it turned out to be a size 59. It will be part of the next Holland-Italy exchange, because the ribbon treatment is different enough for it to make it back to its homeland. Nice very thin felt with a lovely soft hand. Would have loved it to fit me, but it will be right at home and in excellent and abundant company with Danieles' collection.

barbisio-carnagione_01-jpg.138666
barbisio-carnagione_02-jpg.138667
barbisio-carnagione_03-jpg.138668
barbisio-carnagione_04-jpg.138669
barbisio-carnagione_05-jpg.138670
barbisio-carnagione_06-jpg.138671
barbisio-carnagione_07-jpg.138674
barbisio-carnagione_12-jpg.138678
barbisio-carnagione_10-jpg.138679
barbisio-carnagione_11-jpg.138680

Kane

One of the Regulars
Hi Folks, I am hoping to get a little clarity on this hat. Recently bought new at the Village Hat Shop in Long Beach, CA. I went there to check out some beaver felt fedoras, something a bit classy and formal for going out in. They had three beaver hats: a Stetson Pinnacle, a Borsalino, and this Barbisio. Neither the Stetson nor the Borsalino fit, but the Barbisio fit and felt great. It’s has a nice soft feel, much softer than the Stetson or the Borsalino (the Borsalino was surprisingly stiff). It came with a nice hat box and the price was $350 which was about the same price as the Stetson, and it seemed like a good deal for an Italian beaver hat, so I took her home.
I was not familiar with the Barbisio brand, and after doing some internet research my impression is that Barbisio shut down in the 1980’s and hats now sold as Barbisio are made by someone else using the name under license. I have looked at some pictures of older Barbisios, and one thing that is missing from this hat is the white cloth tag with info on it that is under the sweat band. The only thing inside of the sweat band on this hat is the size number 59 printed. The printing on the sweat band shows it as “100% Beaver”, made in Italy, and “exclusively hand made for Village Hat shop”. The attached sales tag shows the model #10644.
In retrospect, I feel that $350 seems pretty cheap — perhaps even suspiciously low — for a “hand made”, “100% beaver”, Italian hat. Interestingly, The Village Hat Shop no longer lists Barbisio as a brand that they carry. So, I am very interested in getting some clarity on what this hat is......is it a knock-off made under license to use the name, Barbisio, is it new old stock that had been sitting in the store, or is it the real deal? Again, I am a bit suspicious on the price, but I really don’t know.
The hat has a very nice soft feel, a nice fit, and I like it, so I’m happy, just curious.
Any input you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Here’s a link to a YouTube showing Barbisios being made in the old factory, but it was posted seven years ago, and I’m not sure if this is from before they shut down in the ‘80’s or if this is how it is now:

Last edited:
Hi Folks, I am hoping to get a little clarity on this hat. Recently bought new at the Village Hat Shop in Long Beach, CA. I went there to check out some beaver felt fedoras, something a bit classy and formal for going out in. They had three beaver hats: a Stetson Pinnacle, a Borsalino, and this Barbisio. Neither the Stetson nor the Borsalino fit, but the Barbisio fit and felt great. It’s has a nice soft feel, much softer than the Stetson or the Borsalino (the Borsalino was surprisingly stiff). It came with a nice hat box and the price was $350 which was about the same price as the Stetson, and it seemed like a good deal for an Italian beaver hat, so I took her home.
I was not familiar with the Barbisio brand, and after doing some internet research my impression is that Barbisio shut down in the 1980’s and hats now sold as Barbisio are made by someone else using the name under license. I have looked at some pictures of older Barbisios, and one thing that is missing from this hat is the white cloth tag with info on it that is under the sweat band. The only thing inside of the sweat band on this hat is the size number 59 printed. The printing on the sweat band shows it as “100% Beaver”, made in Italy, and “exclusively hand made for Village Hat shop”. The attached sales tag shows the model #10644.
In retrospect, I feel that $350 seems pretty cheap — perhaps even suspiciously low — for a “hand made”, “100% beaver”, Italian hat. Interestingly, The Village Hat Shop no longer lists Barbisio as a brand that they carry. So, I am very interested in getting some clarity on what this hat is......is it a knock-off made under license to use the name, Barbisio, is it new old stock that had been sitting in the store, or is it the real deal? Again, I am a bit suspicious on the price, but I really don’t know.
The hat has a very nice soft feel, a nice fit, and I like it, so I’m happy, just curious.

Here’s a link to a YouTube showing Barbisios being made in the old factory, but it was posted seven years ago, and I’m not sure if this is from before they shut down in the ‘80’s or if this is how it is now:

Here are some pics of my hat:
View media item 2064View media item 2065View media item 2066View media item 2067

Just as Stetsons are no longer made by the John B. Stetson Co., Barbisios now exist as a licensed brand made by somebody else.

Given that you can get a custom 100% beaver hat made by one of the frequently featured custom hatters around here for $300 and up, $350 for a new Barbisio isn't that off the mark. $350 for a new Stetson, however, is insane.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

View media item 2064View media item 2065View media item 2066View media item 2067

Hey Kane;
I couldn't see ANY of your photos for some reason.
But, more important, and to make your life easier whenever you have a question, try posting in the "Ask A Question, Get AnAnswer" thread.
Or in the case of a specific brand like Barbisio, Googoo the query as "Barbisio, fedoraLounge." The EXISTING Barbisio threads are plenty. Like this one, The Barbisio Brothers. If we all started new threads with all our questions, we'd be even MORE confused!!

Enjoy that Bad Boy Barbisio, Bro!!

Kane

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I’ll do some more searches. Sorry to make redundancy, I know what you mean.

The pics seem to only show when I am logged in. Is this correct? Obviously I am a new goofball.

There are surprisingly few companies who make their own hats. This his does not mean they are “knockoffs.” I doubt that the Village Hat Shop is selling counterfeit goods.

If you like the hat then what else matters as far as value goes? I only have one Barbisio and it compares quite favorably to Borsalinos of the same era. Maybe @steur or someone else more informed on Barbisio will opine?

I’m one of the crazy guys that Fruno was referring to: I bought a new beaver Stetson via One 2 Mini Ranch. I got a good deal on it, and I went with then open crown New York LE, but the felt is wonderful and compares favorably to vintage hats. If you don’t like stiff felt for a dress hat, and who does, I suggest you shop for open crown hats in the future. I bought my second New York LE from the outlet at half of MSRP and at that price they are a great buy even when compared to most vintage hats...at least in my size.

Posting photos of your actual hat might be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are surprisingly few companies who make their own hats. This his does not mean they are “knockoffs.” I doubt that the Village Hat Shop is selling counterfeit goods.

If you like the hat then what else matters as far as value goes? I only have one Barbisio and it compares quite favorably to Borsalinos of the same era. Maybe @steur or someone else more informed on Barbisio will opine?

I’m one of the crazy guys that Fruno was referring to: I bought a new beaver Stetson via One 2 Mini Ranch. I got a good deal on it, and I went with then open crown New York LE, but the felt is wonderful and compares favorably to vintage hats. If you don’t like stiff felt for a dress hat, and who does, I suggest you shop for open crown hats in the future. I bought my second New York LE from the outlet at half of MSRP and at that price they are a great buy even when compared to most vintage hats...at least in my size.

Posting photos of your actual hat might be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LOL. You're the OK kind of crazy, though.

Please don't hurt me.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Kane

One of the Regulars
Thanks, guys. I’ll post pics as soon as I am able to.
So, are all of these hats made in the same place, like bike frames or camera lenses?

I can't see the pictures, but like suggested in one of the replies, most information on the brand and their output can be found in the Barbisio Brothers thread. The distinction between rabbit fur and beaver fur was and is not that big an issue for the European hat market (beaver fur needed and needs to be imported and therefore was scarce and expensive). The Italian brands like Borsalino and Barbisio made this more of a point for their exports to the American market. Barbisio is an underappreciated brand, who made a vast array of different styled hats, most of very high quality and at least on par with Borsalino. The brand is now owned by Cervo (as far as I know). Nothing wrong with that: Cervo is a fine maker too.

Thanks for that. I have heard mixed things on Cervo, most things positive. Are they making Borsalino as well?
They have done so on occasion in the past, but I don't think they still do. Borsalino still has their own factory and I don't think they need to outsource these days.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Your Barbisio was produced by the "Cappellificio Cervo" which, as I have often said, is four hundred meters from the old Barbisio factory, now a residence. The beaver felt denotes that it is a hat built specifically for the American market and is a high end product. Certainly the amount you paid is high, but this is the price at which the shopkeeper sold the hats. Barbisio closed its doors in 1981 after having built hats for about one hundred and thirty years, hats that had nothing to envy to Borsalino. His historical production was excellent and also that of the "Cappellificio Cervo" which inherited the Barbisio and Bantam brand, until there was a real demand. The last hats I saw in the "Cervo" store in December 2014 were excellent and the price was right. I bought some Barbisio for about $ 80 each which were second choices, finished without lining and with the grosgrain sweatband. The felt was of excellent quality as you can see from this "Misto", that is, fur and wool mixed up, on my head.
333zy87.jpg

I hope you will be happy with your Barbisio and my personal hopes are t the new owners of "Cappellificio Cervo" will resurect these glorious brands in a short time. They have the know how, the machines and the men and women well trained to produce wonderful hats

Kane

One of the Regulars
That’s great info, Daniele. Nice hat! I wonder if that YouTube footage is from the Cervo factory. From your last two sentences, it sounds like Barbisio is currently not in production? I am really enjoying mine.
Cheers

Last edited:
Barbisio lobbia in the colour Umbria. Qualitá extra extra. This one was NOS, but had me confused. Like a kid lying about their age to get a drink, this one lied about its size. First I thought it had shrunk and I did put it on the rack. Not to make it confess (it didn't expect the inquisition), but to get it to the size it told me it was. Hatters are human too: the size label on he sweat is one size up (56) from the one that was hidden underneath the liner (55). It fits me now, albeit that the backseam of the sweat shows a small gap. The brim is beautifully curved and sits at 5cm and the crown reaches 10,5cm at the pinch.
Fairly stiff for an Italian made lobbia. It could pass for a bowler if creased open crown.

barbisio-umbria_01-jpg.148822
barbisio-umbria_02-jpg.148823
barbisio-umbria_03-jpg.148824
barbisio-umbria_04-jpg.148825
barbisio-umbria_06-jpg.148826
barbisio-umbria_07-jpg.148827
barbisio-umbria_08-jpg.148828
barbisio-umbria_09-jpg.148829
barbisio-umbria_12-jpg.148832
barbisio-umbria_13-jpg.148833

I was very pleased to get this one. I'm a fan of Barbisio hats and it's the brand I own most hats of, after Borsalino. Barbisio Rat Gondin (that's nutria to you and me) in a size 56, with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown 11cm at the pinch. The label has faded unfortunately, but I think the colour is Umbria.
This is the earliest Barbisio hat I have seen. It was sold by Pietro Radiconcini&Figlio of Rome. There are several hats sold by Radiconcini posted on the lounge, but usually that is Alfredo Radiconcini, being the "Figlio" of Pietro.
barbisio rat_01.jpg
barbisio rat_02.jpg
barbisio rat_03.jpg
barbisio rat_04.jpg
barbisio rat_05.jpg
barbisio rat_06.jpg
barbisio rat_07.jpg
barbisio rat_08.jpg
barbisio rat_09.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members