Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BARBISIO Brothers

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Post your Barbisio hats here>

Let me start...

January2009001-9.jpg

January2009002-7.jpg

January2009003-8.jpg

January2009004-7.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
More Barbisios

3353808194_1989fd4be3_b.jpg

3353808428_33451b3bf2_b.jpg

3353808650_301156f33b_b.jpg

3353808818_bf3cdd8451_b.jpg

Black Fedora/Robin Hood Hybrid Moderately Hare-y
3349745640_1a1d63cb29_b.jpg

3349745170_77e038bb6f_b.jpg

3348916785_f3b7e7d2cd_b.jpg

Light Gray Satin Hare w/Dk Brown Ribbon recently shown in new hats

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Barbisio hats

When looking for Barbisio's , you need to make sure which one you are getting especially if they are modern made. There are two companies that have the license today. one is in Biella Italy, the other in Columbia SA. The easiest way to tell on the modern ones is on the leather sweatband. The Columbian ones cant print made in Ialy . Their quality is very good but they dont have the finese of the Cervo made ones.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Max Grody

New in Town
I purchased this hat in 1996 in Burbank at a hatter on Burbank Blvd. The owner/keeper said the hat was old-old stock, and it was my first real hat. The color did nothing for me and I packed it way until last year. When I found it, I realized it was quite good and fits my suits and face these days.

Hat1.jpg

Hat2.jpg

Hat3.jpg

I'll take a stab--it was made in the early 80's before Barbisio closed or was sold off. It's a very good hat, and I'm extremely happy with it.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Hi Max,
Your Barbisio was made in Columbia SA . The easiest way to tell the difference between the Italian and the south American hats is on the leather. The hats made in Columbia do not say "Made in Italy" . Not that they arent good hats, the quality on them is quite good. We sell them still in our stores .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Italian or South American?

Okay, I've inherited Rick's Barbisio (photo above); it's really lovely. The felt is certainly as nice as the Bulgarian Borsalinos. My first thought was that it's a later-period Barbisio from the Sagliano Micca factory; having read this, however, I'm wondering whether it's one of the South American hats.

The liner and sweatband are precisely the same as Max Grody's hat, above: it doesn't say "made in Italy," but below the logo it say "Sagliano - 1862 - Italia." The sweatband doesn't seem to be the same quality as the Italian hats I've owned: the black leather is soft, but the stamp is poorly applied, and the sewing is a notch less refined. Also, the bow in the ribbon is sewn a bit haphazardly.

HOWEVER: inside the sweatband is a paper sticker that looks exactly the same as the ones in the Italian hats. It says "Sagliano Micca Italia," and the color of the hat -- hand-written -- is "tritone." Which is an *Italian* word (meaning triton). The size is given on a fabric tag as 7 1/4, but a paper tag under the sweatband also says 58 and 5 1/2. (I've never seen that last designation on anything but vintage European hats.)

Thoughts?

(I can't find any information about the Colombian factory on the web -- it's never mentioned. Barbisio is said to have *exported* lots of hats to South America, but they've hidden the fact that they make them there.)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Visigoth said:
(I can't find any information about the Columbian factory on the web -- it's never mentioned. Barbisio is said to have *exported* lots of hats to South America, but they've hidden the fact that they make them there.)

I have seen a Colombian website for hats...maybe they make them too?[huh]

BarbisoStraw.jpg
BarbisoStraw001.jpg

BarbisoStraw009.jpg
BarbisoStraw008.jpg

Parabuntal or Balibuntal? More Pix needed of this beauty IMHO.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Italian made, bulgarian sold, french language, nutria felt barbisio.

Barbisio- casa fondata nel 1862 - Sagliano Micca Italia

Rat-Gondin (Nutria)

Importe d'Italie

Franz Cervenka - Maitre Chapellier - Sofia

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads