Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BARBISIO Brothers

Bolognese Barbisio - 1955

Wouldn't it be nice if all hats contained a dated label?

This was one of two hats purchased from the same store in Bologna in the 1950s. Both are of very good quality and intriguing style that utilizes a low (5") crown and narrowish (2 1/4") brim. The felt on this Barbisio is very nice and supports a casual telescope crease to a crown height of 3 1/2". The Barbiso label is unreadable, but shows the script logo and an adjoining dated label. I should have done a better job of de-linting before taking photos. The felt is deep black. The iPhone had a very difficult time reading focus on these shots.

bolognesebarbisio1.jpg

bolognesebarbisio2.jpg

bolognesebarbisio3.jpg

bolognesebarbisio4.jpg

bolognesebarbisio5.jpg

bolognesebarbisio6.jpg

bolognesebarbisio8.jpg

bolognesebarbisio9.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Alan, he looks very sharp and really good on you. Very nice find too. Barbisio, they say, that the felt of an Barbisio is better as a felt of an Borsalino.
Sometimes it's right!

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I must admit that after first seeing the hat I couldn't imagine it looking too good on....

But it works quite well on you Alan,,,,, it seems any style likes you......... or vice versa.... very nice

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I tried writing to them some months ago, inquiring about a couple of their models, to store@robertomanzoni.it, and never heard back. Has anyone actually gotten in contact with them? Or have any idea about the dimensions of their "vintage" hats?

I purchased hats from them a few years ago and still receive a few emails from them a year. They were not good about answering emails years ago. The "vintage" Barbisio hats were 70's-80's with brims 2-1/8" or less and moderate, typical European crowns. Current Barbisios are made by Cervo.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Tan Long Hair/Fuzzy Barbisio Fedora

Picked this tan fuzzy or long hair Barbisio up with a lot of beat up hats. Nothing a little cleaning won't take care of. The only thing I did was kick off some of the dust and steamed it back to shape. It has a 2 1/4" brim with thin overwelt edge and a 5 1/2" untapered open crown which is wrapped in a thin 3/4" brown and yellow striped grosgrain ribbon. I had photos in the New Hats thread where another lounger mentioned this thead devoted to Barbisio.

photo3-209_zpsa0ed2a49.jpg

photo2-215_zps63316081.jpg

photo1-233_zps0ac89e95.jpg

photo1-237_zpsa221371b.jpg

photo4-247_zps36900999.jpg

photo2-234_zps807bb91f.jpg

photo3-211_zps4e39f829.jpg

photo1-235_zps13a99985.jpg

photo1-262_zps12783a52.jpg

Thanks for posting these here. You will see other examples of this crown liner imprint in this thread, often covered by a paper protector. European hats are wonderful for their quality and range of style and fashion. They employed certain production methods (such as the taped sweatband with V stitching seen here) farther into the post war era than their American cousins, often making them a challenge to date. The production label behind the sweatband is worth documenting. When we have many samples (as we do with Stetsons) it can prove a useful tool in dating.

Mike, Not sure about when Barbisio started contracting with Cervo. It could have been just after WWII. Maybe Besdor (Steven) or someone else knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot