Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour Duralinen International Jacket

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Well, yesterday I wandered into the Barbour shop here in Manchester to have a look at the International Jackets and noticed a new, lightweight, version in a material called Duralinen. It's a mustard colour linen that they treat with a black PU (i think) coating, which gives it a very interesting look - almost like leather. It's not waterproof but is machine washable and apparently, as it wears, more of the original mustard colour will show through giving it a vintage look.

After thinking about it last night I weakened and went in again today and bought one - I think it's going to be the perfect late Spring/early Summer jacket for the more adventurous look - pictures to follow.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Does Barbour still make the International in the "Antique" (I think thats what they called it) color- more of an olive brown than black?

Edward

Bartender
I can't find it on their website now, but over tthe past few years I've often seen one in a dark brown (think seal brown) colour with polished brass buttons, labelled a Vintage International.

I'm a big fan of the Barbour International design - the contemporary models, IMO, are closer to the original vintage designs than are Belstaff's, and they also about GBP100 cheaper per jacket!

Lt GUSTL

New in Town
Servus from Vienna,

i have seen the Wax Flyer Jacket here in a store.
I enjoy it very much.

But i am a big fan of my vintage Solway Zipper, which i own fore more then 14 years.
It has now a wonderful patina (and was repaired several times).
It is very suitable to casual or business wear with the appropriate headwear (i prefer my Bollman or a tweed cap).

kindest regards :)

Twit

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
I'm a big fan of the Barbour International design - the contemporary models, IMO, are closer to the original vintage designs than are Belstaff's, and they also about GBP100 cheaper per jacket!

Both the modern Belstaff's and Barbour's are consistent with the vintage designs. Most of the vintage pictures that people are aware of are taken from the 7 day's trial, which Belstaff have kind of appropriated - maybe to do with the link with Steve McQueen, so people tend to think the riders wore Belstaff's when in fact they wore Barbours. Look at a vintage trailmaster or roadmaster and compare to the modern versions and there is not a huge amount in it aesthetically. The modern ones are much warm mind you!

I prefer the Belstaff's as they have more shape across the shoulders and can actually be worn of bike as they come with armour. The key is to buy them from bike shops not the fashion shops and certainly not Conduit St!!

As long as you keep either of them waxed they will last for ever!

Edward

Bartender
Twit said:
Both the modern Belstaff's and Barbour's are consistent with the vintage designs. Most of the vintage pictures that people are aware of are taken from the 7 day's trial, which Belstaff have kind of appropriated - maybe to do with the link with Steve McQueen, so people tend to think the riders wore Belstaff's when in fact they wore Barbours.

Yeah, MacQueen wore a Barbour as a team uniform; while "off-duty" he wore a Belstaff as his own choice.

Look at a vintage trailmaster or roadmaster and compare to the modern versions and there is not a huge amount in it aesthetically. The modern ones are much warm mind you!

The main difference I sed in the Belstaffs is the loss of the dialgonally mounted chest pocket in recent years, which is a shame - it's a small thing, but one of the details I really like.

I prefer the Belstaff's as they have more shape across the shoulders and can actually be worn of bike as they come with armour. The key is to buy them from bike shops not the fashion shops and certainly not Conduit St!!

Ha, yeah.... Have you seen the nylon pac-a-mac style "Belstaff" jackets? lol

Twit

One of the Regulars
I like my modern one and when I'm on my old bike (AJS 16MS) I wear it although I found the armour a bit uncomfortable and took it out...

I'll be interested to see what it looks like in 20-30 years time!

Edward

Bartender
I'd be interested to see photos of the duralinen. It's an interesting concept. I did fancy for a long time something the same pattern as an international, but with a khaki, drill cotton type body. A practical jacket for travelling with in warm weather and/or to hot countries where genrally I wouldn't need to worry much about rain but an easily laundered jacket for travelling or cooler days / evenings would be useful. I do have a repro-WW2 era British Safari jacket, which is grand but not always the look one wants. Struck me recently, though, I'd probably be best off just finding a nice M43 or similar, and saving the extra cash to spend on something to ear below it. lol The Lawrence of Arabia Belstaff was a lovely jacket, but silly money.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
I'll try and remember to take some photos this weekend. I must confess I haven't worn it recently, as it's been a bit cold. I've been giving the Aero Barnstormer regular outings over the past week or so though!

Edward

Bartender
MJCR said:
I'll try and remember to take some photos this weekend. I must confess I haven't worn it recently, as it's been a bit cold. I've been giving the Aero Barnstormer regular outings over the past week or so though!

Ohhhhhh.... One day, I will treat myself to a brown horse Barnstormer custom - I want one cut about 18 inches longer, so it's more of a trenchcoat.... One day....

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Slightly off-topic. Yesterday I changed my mind about getting a Barbour Solway, or indeed any new Barbour. They've got "Barbour" stitched into the pockets these days. I hadn't noticed that before. They've just lost my custom with tedious branding.

Anyone else found this a problem?

Edward

Bartender
Had my International come with a pin-on badge, that would have been off the collar as soon as I opened it. That said, however, I've never been sufficiently bothered by the sewn on logo to think to remove it.

Edward

Bartender
I've not really worn mine out yet. I had my eye on the style for some time - was actually right about to pick up one of the Kakadu Nelson International-clones when I got a great deal on an International on eBay. Basically one someone had bought, discovered it was the wrong size, and then never got around to returning, so I received what was essentially a new jacket for half price. Mine is the International Trials model, the main difference being that it is a slightly slimmer cut than the standard, doesn't take the additional liner, and has a double-ended zip. I've not worn it out yet as it arrived with me just when it was starting to get cold enough to want something a bit warmer out. The belt, hmmmn. I like the look of it with the belt a lot when closed, the only problem is that the belt is so stiff when new - it's like having two odd-shaped wings if it's not fastened! Not wearable yet with the belt on and the jacket open.... :rolleyes:

Barchetta52

New in Town
Barbour International Rain Protection

I got caught in a pretty good rain Sunday on the motorcycle and was delighted that the Barbour International (with patch, pin is on my leather Rocker jacket) kept me dry as the proverbial bone. The blue jeans, ankle boots, and socks were a different story.

Wish I'd worn the full face helmet, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner