Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baseball cap cloth

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Yes, baseball caps.

I'll confess, in my adult years, I've pretty much eschewed baseball caps. However, in very recent years, by way of gifts, and actually a couple of purchaes, I've picked some back up. I like the design of the current ones much better than the old ones, although I can't define what has really changed between the current ones (which I like the style of) and the old 70s "trucker" or "feed store" cap. Something is different, however.

Anyhow, I've noticed that a lot of the new caps seem to be made in Vietnam. And there's something about the cloth that rapidly discolors. It looks like I've worked up a heavy sweat in them, even when I haven't worn them that often.

Something to do with the cloth and dye?

I suppose I could just dump them in the washer and wash them?

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pat_H said:
Yes, baseball caps.

I'll confess, in my adult years, I've pretty much eschewed baseball caps. However, in very recent years, by way of gifts, and actually a couple of purchaes, I've picked some back up. I like the design of the current ones much better than the old ones, although I can't define what has really changed between the current ones (which I like the style of) and the old 70s "trucker" or "feed store" cap. Something is different, however.

Anyhow, I've noticed that a lot of the new caps seem to be made in Vietnam. And there's something about the cloth that rapidly discolors. It looks like I've worked up a heavy sweat in them, even when I haven't worn them that often.

Something to do with the cloth and dye?

I suppose I could just dump them in the washer and wash them?

Pat,
I've been into baseball style caps for while now, I know this causes cringes and catcalls in here, albeit I wear only "vintage" reproductions or actual military variants I find in e-bay, and I'd say you're right about the dye and material being the cause of the problem. This leads me to the conclusion that a washing machine would only make it worse. Cold water and something like woolite, hand washed gently and left out to dry is probably the best. I think. Great to hear from you.:)

dean

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I actually think modern baseball caps may be intended to fade out. Just like old-style Madras plaid items, the more washed out, bled and ragged a ball cap looks, the cooler it is. Unless you're a hip hop artist or somesuch, of course, then you aren't even supposed to curve the bill. (I've always felt those guys looked like the tags should still be hanging off the thing!)

-Dave

lc1484

One of the Regulars
I wear my SF Seals cap from Ebbets Field Flannels all the time since I discovered them 20 years ago...they are made to specs of the era and are the most comfortable I find than the New Eras..

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
My Red Sox cap, which is supposed to be the one the players wear, is made from wool and hasn't faded a bit. It's also made in the USA.

I have an old style New York Yankees wool cap, also USA made, that has really held up well.

I'll admit I'm a bit sheepish about posting about baseball caps. I abandoned baseball caps when I was about 17, and when I needed a cap with that sort of brim, I usually would resort to a floppy military fatigue cap, which I do prefer.

However, a friend gave me a newer ball cap from his company, and then another friend gave me a new New York Yankees cap. They're styled a little differently from the dreaded "truckers cap" of my teenage years, and they look a lot better.

I still normally wear other types of caps, but I do wear these fairly regularly now for odds and ends. Keeping in mind, of course, that I nearly always wear a hat or cap when outside.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
deanglen said:
Pat,
I've been into baseball style caps for while now, I know this causes cringes and catcalls in here, albeit I wear only "vintage" reproductions or actual military variants I find in e-bay, and I'd say you're right about the dye and material being the cause of the problem. This leads me to the conclusion that a washing machine would only make it worse. Cold water and something like woolite, hand washed gently and left out to dry is probably the best. I think. Great to hear from you.:)

dean

Thanks Dean!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pat_H said:
I have an old style New York Yankees wool cap, also USA made, that has really held up well.

I'll admit I'm a bit sheepish about posting about baseball caps. I abandoned baseball caps when I was about 17, and when I needed a cap with that sort of brim, I usually would resort to a floppy military fatigue cap, which I do prefer...
Baseball caps are classic American and represent some classic ball teams that go back generations. However, like other American classics, like Apple Pie, they can be abused with consequences! In their proper places, they are great hats.

duggap

Banned
Well, my hobby is medal detecting for civil war artifacts and we wear headphones. That requires a baseball type cap. As soon as I get out of the woods though, I grab my beater and put it back on. Skin cancer on the ears you know.:eusa_doh:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
duggap said:
Well, my hobby is medal detecting for civil war artifacts and we wear headphones. That requires a baseball type cap. As soon as I get out of the woods though, I grab my beater and put it back on. Skin cancer on the ears you know.:eusa_doh:

What? No blue or gray forage cap??

-Dave

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
On baseball caps

Fitted only. No adjustable caps.

Wool is the traditional and, IMO, best material.

I like the New Era 59/Fifty, the official Major League Baseball on-field game cap, but they have recently stopped making them in wool. Now they are a polyester material that looks and feels much like the wool. I will have to reserve judgement until my newest cap gets some more wear.

I have washed my wool New Eras in cold water and Woolite with good results and they last for years.

I have one vintage reproduction cap from American Needle/Cooperstown Cap Co. it is a 1957 Brooklyn Dodgers cap with the leather sweat band. The Cooperstown Cap is very comfortable and the wool material seems to be of a better quality than the New Era caps. It is also a brighter blue color. The Cooperstown Caps cost about twice as much as the New Eras and are softer and less structured so of course they have a different look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner