Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baseball Caps (in moderation)?

cptjeff

Practically Family
theinterchange said:
This perfectly sums up my thoughts on ball caps. I don't like going the mainstream route much, heck I won't listen to Elvis for this reason.
Psst- the mainstream isn't listening to him anymore. It's safe for you to listen and judge the music on it's own merit instead.

Of course, what the mainstream is listening to these days, I have judged it on it's merits and found it largely lacking, but that's another story. There is some good stuff out there though.

kyboots

Practically Family
ky boots

theinterchange said:
I wear a cap [I own 2 that I wear] around the house [some], or while fishing. The rest of the time, it's a fedora or nothing.

Should be an interesting thread here.

Randy
Great point!!But let me ask. Do you wear a Fedora with a common leather jacket? or jeans? or long coat? How formal do your clothes have to be to wear a Fedora guys ??

HatRak

Familiar Face
More formal? Pretty much anything I wear, from jeans to suit, pairs well with a fedora. In the summer, it's a panama. However, I do have a few BB caps for special occasions. A Baltimore Orioles cap and a cap with my alma mater logo for appropriate game days. There's also a khaki cloth cap with a steaming cup of coffee logo from my favorite coffee house. For winter, I have my favorite, six panel green wool felt with suede brim. It's warm, classy, and looks great with an A2.

FWIW, I agree with the guys who suggest that sound suppression head phones work best with caps. That's the primary reason that I wear caps during the summer. Mowing lawns, trimming grass, blowing leaves-all make sound protection important. I'd rather wear a full brimmed hat (I've got a Henshel ventilated hat made of heavy duck that is wonderful for the sun) but can't get the 'phones to fit up under it.

Feraud

Bartender
kyboots said:
Great point!!But let me ask. Do you wear a Fedora with a common leather jacket? or jeans? or long coat? How formal do your clothes have to be to wear a Fedora guys ??
You can wear a fedora with anything.

theinterchange

One Too Many
kyboots said:

I don't think fedoras HAVE to be worn with formal clothing, I wear my hats with whatever I feel like. ;) Ball caps on the other hand, I only wear with my most casual of clothes, and not out "in public" much. Only to the store around the corner and the like.

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
cptjeff said:
Psst- the mainstream isn't listening to him anymore. It's safe for you to listen and judge the music on it's own merit instead.

Of course, what the mainstream is listening to these days, I have judged it on it's merits and found it largely lacking, but that's another story. There is some good stuff out there though.

I REALLY don't like Elvis, period. Even if he were the most obscure of artists, I'd still say I don't listen to him. ;) He's never done much for me, "Hound Dog" is about as far as I go into liking Elvis, and that's only for the guitar riff.

Yes, there are some gems among the masses in terms of music. Though, most of my listening falls beyond the flavor of the moment, I'll readily admit to liking some stuff I hear in stores and such. You know, like Kanye West... :eusa_doh: lol ;) ;) [note the sarcasm]

Randy

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
kyboots said:

Speaking of which, yes. Leather jacket, jeans, stuff like that. See avatar <===

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
You can wear a fedora with anything.

That is only a slightly hyperbolic assertion, as fedoras are definitely the most versatile lid one can wear.

As an example of just how casual one can go, take Zahi Hawass, Secretary General of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities. This top-of-the-heap archaeologist who has recently been featured on PBS' Nova and in both National Geographic and Smithsonian magazines is always wearing in the field a well worn, sweat-stained fawn fedora, along with a faded chambray shirt, rumpled khakis, and desert boots. All perfectly appropriate for stomping around the Sphinx and the pyramids.

At the other extreme, in one of the early Bond films, Sean Connery can be seen in a tuxedo briefly donning a spiffy fedora before removing it to put the moves on an exotic double-agent Euro-babe. Again, perfectly appropriate headgear for getting the girl and saving Her Majesty from S.P.E.C.T.E.R.

Picture these men wearing a ball cap under the same circumstances. Ha!

kyboots said:
I wear a snap brim with everything & never a second thought, tshirts, jeans, khakis, overalls, all types of jackets, vests & coats. I wear real nice fedoras with suits & ties.

Dean

New in Town
In essence, to me ball caps SCREAM conformity and or sheepwalking

Maybe in America, but not necessarily over the pond.....especially if you aren't a teenager anymore.

I think baseball caps are the most versatile of hats, more so than, say, a Fedora. With the exception of formal wear, you can wear a cap for just about anything else and they stay on your head a lot better (adjustable tightening). They are cheaper, easier to clean, take up less space etc etc.

Of course the design is all important - I can go to a construction site meeting in bad weather with a golf cap, but a bright red flat brimmed, truckers cap might get me some stick.

But, do they have as much character as a Fedora? not even close.

Dean.

(ps - That said, I did visit a high security prison in Canada wearing a Maple Leafs cap and the 'Bluejays' guard said that he was in two-minds whether or not to let me out again.....)

Dean

New in Town
Er...I should perhaps point out that I was a friend of a guard, who asked if I had ever seen the inside of a maximum security prison.....Actually, that sounds worse....

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
avedwards said:
Only when sailing...

Sounds like you need a yacht cap, or perhaps a Dixie Cup worn Gilligan style.

I have a penchant for aged and vintage-look ballcaps in the right circumstances, like working in the garage, going flying, and slumming around in jeans and my dad's old field jacket.

I have a store-bought Texaco cap, a khaki cap with a 1930s Chevrolet Service patch I sewed on, and an olive cap with a '40s or '50s Pontiac "Indian Head" patch I added. I used to have a blue cap with an American flag patch (store-bought), but my dad appropriated it, and I was more than happy to let him have it.

-Dave

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
Well said,Dean.

I work in a juvenile correctional facility and get a much better response when wearing one of my fedoras(seen as more urban/cool by the population)than when wearing my "whiteboy" bb cap with curved brim.

Also agree to you about the class factor;can`t beat a fedora!My straw Guinness stingy brim has become my default hat...the few times I do wear my RUSH bb cap(or now a MAUI cap my girls bought me)will be in the summertime.

Cheers!
HMH

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The aforementioned Chevy cap:

d9b84c2b.jpg

-Dave

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Dean said:
With the exception of formal wear, you can wear a cap for just about anything else.
I respectfully disagree. They may be convenient, but I think that a baseball cap looks really tacky and just downright bad with anything more than a t-shirt, and considering I don't even wear t-shirts when fishing or backpacking, I find no use for them. I can see the argument for wearing them when ear protection is needed, but other than that, I think they look silly, and are extremely impractical, as the brim provides only minimal protection.

Unless you are playing baseball, in which case, wear a cap.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
I don`t agree with you 100%,Yeps,but I "hear ya". BBCs have become too main stream(almost ubiquitous).I still appreciate a "cool" bbc but those have become far and few between.I absolutely ABHORE the turned backwards bbc(unless it is actually job-related).

Thanks for posting!
HMH

Johnny Fedora

New in Town
While I perfer a fedora, I do find that in the early days of every new baseball season I wear baseball caps but even then they're not "current". I have two 1917 (home and away) Chicago White Sox Caps from the sadly gone Cooperstown BallCap Co.
cwsbc1917.jpg

And an old well worn, very comfortablely fitted replica 1983 Baltimore Orioles cap. As a youngster I sat in Memorial Stadium watching the (at that time) fantastic Orioles win time and again. I actually attended game two of the 1982 World Series wearing a nearly identical cap (just smaller).
88386f319cc1e81acce915ac6540a7c0.jpg

This time of year (and the even more exciting fact that the Orioles not only seem to be winning but the catcher is wearing a batting helmet painted just like the old 1983 caps and helms),
wieters-cartoon-bird.jpg

I just can't help but wear it around.

sigh...sorry.

Johnny

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk