Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baseball Caps (in moderation)?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wear one in the car, just for practical purposes as the 'sun visor' is needed.

MX5SUMMER015.jpg

MX5SUMMER002.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Now, that's a car!

If you have a car like that ...not to mention the countryside to drive it through ... who cares if you have a baseball cap on?

However ... a Tom Mix Stetson with a heavy bonnet strap or a felt Sombrero like Kurt Russell wore in The Thing would look awesome sticking out of that car as you blast through the country side ...OR NOT!

Enjoy the spring, Paddy! ... everyone else too, whether you got a convertible or not

Sam

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Gents! The structure is a local castle from the 1100's and used in quite a few Period Films. Am currently out in Lola right now as the sun is up :)

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
I generally wear a ball cap when I take out the dune buggy, or when I'm working on messy stuff, like making stone guitar picks or jewelry. On very rare other occasions I will wear a ball cap, but usually its my old fedora or a beat up old cowboy hat.

DC3

New in Town
A personal opinion. A beret should never be worn by the U. S. Military. They are ugly and demeaning. Have you seen these floppy things? Hanging down on one side touch the ears? They only reason they are wearing the beret is because of the United Nations insistence and our own weak leadership. Yuck! We have plenty of fine caps and helmets for our troops. Why must we embarrass them?
Got off on a bit of a tangent there, but really.

BBC's have their place, as do Aussie, Western and Greek. I always pick up a fedora or wide brimmed hat first. Then, considering what I will be doing, make a change if required. Most of the time it's not required. I find that even men in their 20's and 30's wear their BBC's backwards. What the heck is up with that? I must be out of touch.....right.

hatflick1

Practically Family
Minor League Caps

I wear ball caps around when I do yard work, jog or head off to the beach, especially on windy days. I have two old minor league favorites: the original design Oklahoma City 89's and the Kauai team from the Hawai'in League.
Unfortunately, the simple, clean designs of the minors hats from years back have been replaced with goofy, cartoon characters to appeal to little kids. Makes them look like Disneyland gift shop stuff. Truly cheapened. But then, what hasn't been?

I wear BB caps at the beach, and when doing certain chores, especially mowing, so I can wear ear protectors over the cap. Most are John Deere or some facsimile thereof. Beach caps are usually some sort of travel souvenir. For most other activities, fedora or OR type hat.

Talbot

One Too Many
I have an old 70's Baltimore Colts BB cap, but no-one here knows who the heck they were.

I don't wear ballcaps that often as I find they tend to accentuate any extra weight I'm carrying.:eek:

Edward

Bartender
I wore one occasionally as a kid, mostly in the Summer months. Largely stopped as I got older. By the time I turned sixteen and was wearing my glasses pretty much all the time, I figured they looked stupid on me for the most part, and I stopped wearing them on all but the sunniest days. I had a Boston Red Socks I got from a token-collect offer on Pot Noodle - nice cap, but I never wore it; it went on eBay a few years ago. Somewhere in my folks house there still lies a black/white/grey camo pattern cap that I wore on my Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award expedition, probably the last time I sported one. Oh... and I have a nice, quality khaki one that I bought in 1996; it has a Vigilantes of Love logo embroidered on the front, and I had it autographed by the band. I will ebay that when I get around to it. Nice souvenir, but I can't justify hoarding everything....

I moved from ball caps to boonie hats about a decade ago, still have those (in black, green and tan) as they were a better option for sun protection. These days, I'd wear a straw hat for the sun, or, in warmer weather when I don't need the brim, a cotton newsboy style cap. I don't look down on baseball caps in their place, though I hate seeing them being worn with a suit and tie..... looks like a fast food restaurant uniform.

I suppose the one thing I still wear that comes close to a BB is my Eastman B2 Cap... Oh, I have two cotton caps that are something similar to the US Army caps of the fifties - straight sides, separate top panel, stubby bill (about 2"). Those were bought for purely utilitarian purposes the Summer before I started wearing Fedoras regularly; that was the Summer I shaved my head for the first time (five years ago now!), and was obviously even more concerned to keep it protected from the Sun.

I used to wear them all the time, but prefer a flat cap, newsboy or fedora these days. In the Summer, they don't offer the ears protection from the sun. My favorites say Guild, Tech 21, and Vance Refrigeration with the penguin (The Office).

Musician, yes?

In my youth, breaking in your cap bill was comparable to breaking in a new ball glove. Special care was needed to get it just so....

Not that different from A2s in that respect, huh? ;)

I wear one in the car, just for practical purposes as the 'sun visor' is needed.

MX5SUMMER015.jpg

MX5SUMMER002.jpg

Nicely matched to the outfit. Reminds me a lot of the WW2 era mechanics caps that were issued(?) by the USAAF.

A personal opinion. A beret should never be worn by the U. S. Military. They are ugly and demeaning. Have you seen these floppy things? Hanging down on one side touch the ears? They only reason they are wearing the beret is because of the United Nations insistence and our own weak leadership. Yuck! We have plenty of fine caps and helmets for our troops. Why must we embarrass them?

I like them a lot, actually. Much better than the side-caps. I have two berets - one Basque-style, one ex-German military (which currently sports a Soviet hammer and sickle red star and gets worn around the house a lot in the manner of a smoking cap during the coldest days of Winter). Great hats. Warm, no danger of them blowing off (even a newsboy can get caught by wind under the peak). Tremendously practical for military in the field, I should have thought. Ironically enough, I have always rather fancied the light blue beret of the UN troops.

I find that even men in their 20's and 30's wear their BBC's backwards. What the heck is up with that? I must be out of touch.....right.

fail-owned-hat-fail.jpg

I even hated that look as a kid, and refused to wear 'em like that. Even worse is the bill-ninety-degrees-from-front look. What totally threw me, though, was the first time I saw one being worn with the shop stickers and tags still on it. I thought at first it might be some kind of notion of 'cool' to make it look freshly shoplifted, but apparently the idea is to prove that your designer cap is the real deal, a legitimate item, and not a cheap copy. Still looks crazy to me, but I find the logic behind it interesting.

Last edited:
I have several. I have one that was made by the ball cap people (Cooperstown?) it's the 30's style and is the NY Knights cap as in the Natural. I have One for Pen World magazine, a Yamaha cap, and one for the Enterprise TV show I had done. One cap that got chewed (custom by Max) and I miss is the movie cap for the Tomb Raider film.

Prior to wearing fedoras as a regular thing I wore ball caps as the sun is killer out here and I need shade for my eyes especially in the summer.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I own and still wear baseball caps a bit. When I am at a firing range, grilling/ bbqing, hiking, camping, and of course at the baseball games. I really do not want to ruin a western hat at any of these locations so I switch to a baseball style cap. I have 50+ baseball caps, some have simply been given to me to try out and give a review on. I may well have closer to 100 baseball style caps.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer

I was in the Army for a bit and we had the beret as head gear. It was horrible, it is horrible, and it will continue to be horrible. The item offered no benefit at all. When standing in formation with the sun beaming bright the beret offered no assistance in blocking the sun out of the eyes.
Needless to say, you had to shape the item to be worn in specific manner along with that you had to shave the beret when it was new. New berets were very fuzzy and presented poorly. So there you were with your razor shaving the hat smooth. Coupled with this was the string/ ribbon used to tighten the head gear. Those had to be tucked away and hidden, forget cutting them, you did not want to face needing to adjust the fit and not have the strings. Then one was faced with buying another beret to repeat shaping and shaving the stupid thing.

You could not wear the beret in field training or in combat operations, you would be easily seen and dispatched. I could not find one positive about the beret. Sure it could be put in your pocket when in doors but so could the patrol cap and the garrison cap. So my opinion is to collect them all and start making something useful out of them, such as wool blankets for homeless people.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have noticed that many here have stated that they wear bsb caps in the summer time, presumably when it is hot outside.

I have found a baseball cap to be hotter than even a lined, fur fedora. My tall crowned fedoras have an air pocket. Bsb caps don't, and when the sun beats down of them, the hot material is directly on my scalp, and makes me very warm very fast. My fedoras, with their air pocket, take much longer to heat my head to a level of discomfort.

Cold weather is another reason why I don't wear bsb caps outside the house very often. Too much heat passes through to my head in summer, and, with thin material and no insulation, they offer little protection from the cold in winter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch