Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Bash." Not a hatter's term?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Coming into fedoras from the Indy world, I picked up "bash" initially. As I've come to know more about hats, and appreciate the qualities of a good hat, I've come to prefer "crease." It just seems more fitting to me.

I can't believe this thread is STILL going..(shakes head & goes back to the bashing/creasing/shaping/smashing/blocking freakin bench) :rolleyes:

And it pops up again, more than three years later.

I'm with you, Art. I don't care what a person calls it, so long as we understand each other.

And even if it is a neologism, and not a "real" hatter's term (leastwise not north of the equator), well, so what? Everything was new once.

Sweet!
both campdrafts have a horse head pin from buckaroo hatters.

fd99.jpg

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
I think the term "bash" is perfectly accurate when referring to the styling of a hat done by hand...

This business about accuracy is nonsense. If I, a person who grew up in the upper midwest United States, say "trousers" instead of "pants", am I being inaccurate? No, I'm just using a term more common in a different dialect

I do not think that "bash" is an accurate or a good term to describe creases because the word bash contains negative connotations which imply violence and recklessness. Who would want a hatter to be violent to and reckless with his hats? I certainly would not, especially since good new hats usually start at around $400 nowadays and can easily get much more expensive. That kind of money amounts to an investment, and investments are to be protected, not squandered through careless handling.

Likening "trousers and pants" to "bash and crease" is an apples-to-oranges comparison. The word "bash" contains negative connotations that are not present in the word "crease." On the other hand, the word "trousers" and the word "pants" do not have different connotations (rather, the connotations of each are synonymous).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana