Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Bash." Not a hatter's term?

mingoslim

Practically Family
Don't know where I picked it up . . .

scotrace said:
It seemed like a good idea to let newer members know it's a Floungeism, and not an actual term for the hat bidness.

But I can assure you, I had heard the term Bash used for the block and crease of a Fedora long before I had ever heard of the FL . . . even before the FL was established, best I can tell.

And I have never been on COW . . .

Maybe it was a regional coloquialism which has gotten picked up on the FL and COW . . . but I am pretty sure that it did not originate here.

mingoslim

Practically Family
Hey now . . .

deanglen said:
I'm with you, R! I'm going to stop using it, too. Speaking for myself. I always prefer accuracy.

dean

All you folks who want to stop using a perfectly good term . . .
I like "bash" . . . has a nice ring to it . . . jaunty . . . not at all stuffy or technical sounding.
I say we should not only use the word, but embrace it . . . and extol its virtues!;)

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Wherever it started, a whole lot of us received our "hat education" right here on the lounge ... perpetuating the usage for good or ill.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I must admit, it never seemed quite right to me, and I'd done NO hat-related research, other than checking out old Major League Baseball cap designs just for grins, before I arrived here last year. It seemed a bit contrived.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
I also see no real harm in using the term "bash" as long as we recognize the fact that other people don't know what it means, lol. And I do believe that it was something that we may have acquired through Akubra. And in terms of fed being short for fedora, I remember a time when I never heard anyone one say fed except in reference to the Federation or Federation Deluxe, then almost all at once, people would get a non-federation, but still post about their new "fed." Which made me come to the conclusion (which I still believe) that new members confused fed as being short for fedora, and used it as such, and then some older members started using it themselves. This was over on COW. I always found using the term "fed" as an abbreviation for fedora to be rather annoying, as I always pronounced it more like "f'dora" rather than "fed-ora", so the abbreviation seemed kinda like a failure. Not to offend anyone who uses the term though, lol.

Wesne

One of the Regulars
mingoslim said:
All you folks who want to stop using a perfectly good term . . .
I like "bash" . . . has a nice ring to it . . . jaunty . . . not at all stuffy or technical sounding.
I say we should not only use the word, but embrace it . . . and extol its virtues!;)

Well said, and just what I've been thinking reading over this thread. I'm sure some folks - professional hatters among them to be sure - do indeed "crease" their hats, but I find "bash" more evocative of the way many of us believe a fedora should come by its shape. Think Humphrey Bogart here - did he carefully crease his hat or did he give it a quick bash and move along to more important things?

Suffering a shortage of cash?
Just give your old hat a new bash
If the shape makes you smile
You'll wear it with style
And more than a little panache

fatwoul

Practically Family
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Or for [Akubra] Federation.

Yeah, I too dislike the abbreviation "fed" for "fedora", since I always use "Fed" to refer to a "Federation".

fatwoul

Practically Family
deanglen said:
I'm with you, R! I'm going to stop using it, too. Speaking for myself. I always prefer accuracy.

I'm going to try to stop using "bash", but only because I instead will be using "dent", "crumple", and perhaps "crinkle", when referring to some of those papery-looking creases in some of the old magazine adverts posted recently.

I suppose based on my background I should also consider use of the word "crater".

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Back in 2002 or so, when I first started talking to Graham at Optimo, he was rather amused at all the Indy guys from COW calling it a bash instead of a crease.

I like "bash". It describes to me the hand-crease. The less-than-perfect crease that is so common in old photographs, and completely absent from today's hat market. When i get a Fawcett original, it will be open crown. None of this pre-formed crease that we see on hat websites. I want to determine my own crease.

I like 'bash' for the home-made crease (but i never talk to "hat people" so i'm mainly using the term in my head).

bk

duggap

Banned
I can just see someone doing a Karate chop on an open crown hat to form the center dent. Why would you not call that a bash. Anyway we should not be bashing other's terms.:D

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I always heard the shaping process referred to as "blocking" before I ran into the term "bash" here. Blocking seems most accurate to me for the basic shaping, with 'crease' for the crown shaping.

Bruneau

Suspended
Interesting...I'm glad to know that the term is Aussie in origin, when referring to hats. I like it better than "creasing or shaping." So... I'll continue bashing my hats. Oy! Oy! Oy! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk