Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basic hat Renovation "101"

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I went to a flea market this weekend and saw this Penny's Marathon all scrunched up in a box. I tried to pop it out and reshape it but it was a no go. Way too much time in a box with a lot of other stuff on top of it. The creases and wrinkles were really set in. My first thought afterwards was "it has to go to a pro", so I passed on it. But later I went back and it was still there, I figured it would be something to play with so I offered the guy 2 Bucks for it and he took it.

The first 2 pics are exactly the way it looked when it came out of the box after what has to have been years of being flattened. I brushed it off and then sprayed it with the foam and let it soak it up. I brushed it somemore and and then started working on the wrinkles by hand, pressing the curved side of a metal cup on the inside of the crown against my hands on the outside.
Gradually the felt loosened up and started to smooth out. Then I got out my teapot and very lightly steamed it and continued to work on the wrinkles. After I was done, I was amazed at how it came back to life as you can see in the last pic. This was not staged, as I know you can scrunch up most quality hats and pop them back out. But this one had to have been in that box for a very long time and it still came back with a little work.

There are no moth nibbles or stains on this hat, original price still inside, "$8.50". Even though it was only a "cheapy" in its day, it still wasn't tapered even after I steamed it when it was very damp. So don't pass on those hats just because they look beat up.

DSCN0945.jpg

DSCN0946.jpg

DSCN0948.jpg

DSCN0956.jpg

fedoralover

You did a good job there Fed. Actually $8.50 wasn't really that cheap when you could have gotten an Adam for $5-7.50 and your hat has far more bells and whistles than they do---stepped ribbon and wide bound edge. Not bad at all I say for $2 whole bucks there big spender. ;) :D

Regards,

J

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Amazing transformation!

And a real lesson learned. I wonder how many rare and valuable collectable hats were passed by because perspective buyers were unwilling to try to save them.

J.B.

Practically Family
You can't see me...

...but I'm sitting here tippin' my hat to you, fedoralover!!!

What a beautiful restoration! I just can't get over how fantastic the color (not to mention the shape) that came back to that dicer!!! Congrats! :fedora:

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Holy mangled millinery, Batman!

That hat's had a bigger comeback than 80's-style cargo pants!

That's a great job, Fedoralover. More than impressive! :eusa_clap

Magus

Practically Family
Spray hat cleaner

Hi there FL...did that Scout Hat cleaner work well? I have a new lid with some stains...and though I have located the naptha in Home Depot and have no fear of the chemical its self...I am leary of how to clean a hat with it. (liner in or out what to do about the sweatband and ribbon etc.)

I would love to hear your experience wth it (the Spray )

Thanks
M

funneman

Practically Family
Nice Job!

I am impressed, I can't believe it's the same hat! Is it just me or does anyone else here find steaming,shaping,cleaning your lids therapeutic

Tudor

Familiar Face
Fedoralover,
Thanks for sharing your find with us. I love how you resurrected that hat. This hat is now ready to honor its wearer for another 50 years.
As far as the $8.50 price... A hat that cost $8.50 in 1950 would cost $65.89 in 2005. This is based on the Consumer Price Index. A convenient calculator can be found at the website below:
http://www.westegg.com/inflation/
I sometimes like to use the original price to help understand how the person that bought the hat originally must have felt at the time of purchase.
It is good to see you again. I have learned a lot from your posts here in the lounge.
Dennis

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I know what $65.00 would buy you today and it wouldn't be this quality of hat.
As far as the foam usage goes, there is one kind for darker colors and one for white hats. The one for white hats is for those stiff white cowboy hats, it has silica in it, so NEVER use it on a vintage felt fedora. I just spray the stuff on and let it foam up and soak for a few minutes and then take a cleaning sponge and wipe it in a counter clock wise direction. It's non toxic and seems to take off a lot of dirt related stains. If there are other types of stains you may have to use the Naptha. Other than what I've already stated that's all there is to it. You can generally find this stuff at western related stores.

fedoralover

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tudor said:
Fedoralover,
Thanks for sharing your find with us. I love how you resurrected that hat. This hat is now ready to honor its wearer for another 50 years.
As far as the $8.50 price... A hat that cost $8.50 in 1950 would cost $65.89 in 2005. This is based on the Consumer Price Index. A convenient calculator can be found at the website below:
http://www.westegg.com/inflation/
I sometimes like to use the original price to help understand how the person that bought the hat originally must have felt at the time of purchase.
It is good to see you again. I have learned a lot from your posts here in the lounge.
Dennis
Hey Tutor :eek:fftopic:
and all others... here is a site http://eh.net/hmit/compare/that uses five indexes for making such comparisons in US dollars between any two years from 1789 to 2004. (the CPI, the GDP Deflator, the unskilled wage rate, the GDP per capita, and the GDP.) very intresting stuff...

Johnnysan

One Too Many
WOW...

I'm impressed. How many of us would have passed that one up? Sadly, I'm among the many who would have lost the opportunity to pick up a truely unique and good-looking hat! Well done!! :eusa_clap

Tudor

Familiar Face
Naptha...

When you use naptha do you dunk the whole hat, sweatband, ribbon, liner and all in the stuff and let it soak? That is exactly what a local hat shop, the Man's Hat Shop here in Albuquerque, told me they do.

Rick Blaine said:
Hey Tutor :eek:fftopic:
and all others... here is a site http://eh.net/hmit/compare/that uses five indexes for making such comparisons in US dollars between any two years from 1789 to 2004. (the CPI, the GDP Deflator, the unskilled wage rate, the GDP per capita, and the GDP.) very intresting stuff...

Hmmm.... $339. That sounds about right for this hat. :D

Regards,

J

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
I'll echo Fedoralover...

The dark-hat Scout foam is very good stuff. I've used it many times and never had a problem. And as the above picture illustrates, don't be afraid to really slather it on. After spraying liberally, I use a damp, white towel to rub counterclockwise, turning it frequently. Most times the towel ends up filthy. Then shape the hat as desired and let it air dry.

Another very useful cleaning device is the foam sponge (scroll down):
http://wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2_mjsupp.html

It can be used with or without the spot remover granuales, which are particularly good on greasy spots. The sponge I use was found at Bed, Bath & Beyond for about $4.

I'll often use the sponge/granuales, then the foam. But in every case I always vacuum the hat first, using a horsehair vacuum brush. Otherwise the foam turns the loose dust and dirt to mud. I also vacuum the hat after using the sponge, and before the foam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran