Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Batsakes Bros (Gus Miller)-blocked Ecuadorian Panama

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Well, I made the mistake of browsing through Ebay tonight, and came across this hat with a buy it now price. I bought it now. Of course, now I've got some 'splainin to do to the wife department! :eek:

BatsakesblockedEcuadorianPanamaebay.jpg

BatsakesblockedEcuadorianPanamae-1.jpg

I know, straw hat season is over for the year (at least, here in Ohio it seems) but I'm sure it will see plenty of use next year!

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
KObalto said:
Beautiful hat. I really like the block/bash. Do you know the weave count?

No, I don't. I don't expect, at that price, for it to be a very high weave count but I believe I may know the source of the hat, so I'm fairly certain I'll be happy with it.

Here's what it said on the auction:

Size M 7 1/4 (58 cm equiv.) Ecuadorian Panama Hat
Diamond Block Fedora Style.
This hat was handwoven in the barrios of Ecuador.
It was hand finished and blocked in Cincinnati, USA by Gus Miller of Batsakes Bros. Hat Shop.
Grosgrain ribbon/bow and leather inner band.
Crown is about 4 1/2+ inches peak high.
Brim is about 2 3/4 inches.
Great, straight, concise weaving. Fine finishing

To me, the fact that it was blocked by Gus adds a lot of value to the hat as well.

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
Hide it!!!! That gives you to next spring to explain it!!:rolleyes:

Fortunately, I'm home during the day to get the mail! I generally get into trouble when things get delivered on Friday or Saturday, when she's home too. :eusa_doh:

I may just tell her it's the hat she bought me for my birthday this year! lol

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
It came today!

I like it! :D :eusa_clap :D :eusa_clap

BatsakesblockedPanama1.jpg

BatsakesblockedPanama4.jpg

For those who like to count weaves... I'm not sure of where or how to do it.

BatsakesblockedPanama9.jpg

BatsakesblockedPanama10.jpg

But whatever the weave, it's a great hat. I need more wider-brimmed straws in my collection, and this one will be a favorite come spring!

BatsakesblockedPanama.jpg

And for those who are interested, it seems that Mrs. Panamabob is doing a year-end clear-out on OFAS. Do a search on seller ecuador_art to find all she has out there.

This Saturday my wife and I are heading over to Middletown to see our son and his family. We're planning on leaving here early to detour into Cincinnati to stop in to Batsakes Hat Shop and say hello to Gus. I'll be able to tell him I now own three of his hats! :D

Cheers,
Tom

Markbcvg

New in Town
Great looking hat, Tom.

I visited Gus a few weeks ago. He is going to make a custom fedora for me once I decide on the details.

Good luck with the new hat - another reason to look forward to warm weather.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Great looking

Tom,

I just lurked around on this thread, but once I saw the actual photos of the arrived hat I must say that it is really good product and looks great on you!

I think that Cuenca hat has very regular weave and it looks really nice. The advantage is that the block will be also more sturdy and last longer its form than the 1000 USD masterpiece hat you won on the raffle in June ...cant wait to see that too!!!

This Cuenca hat is very nice, classy and has a lots of style. I hope you will enjoy it through many-many summers! I think those hats will become your most treasured clothing items since they have only positive connotations: sunny days, summer, holidays, outdoors enjoying freedom...what else can you want?

Congratulations to Mr. Gus Miller too.

Regards:

Tom

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
That raffle hat was one by somebody else.

It should be done (woven) in a month or so and to its rightful owner.

The photos should be up soon with the work that we're having done down in the school in Pile.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hi,

That's one sweet hat, Tom! It's got me looking very closely at Mrs. Panamabob's other hats to see if she's got anything in my size that'd look good on me. :cool2:

Have fun in Middletown, where our family lived for a year or two during the 1st Eisenhower Administration. It's probably changed a little since then. lol

Cheers,
Mark

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, all!

Tom, I did enter that raffle but the hat was won by another lucky guy. I say another lucky guy as I consider myself lucky to have a Panamabob hat blocked by Gus! :D

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner