Batsakes Hat Shop in Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Hats' started by jimmy the lid, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Warlord of The Weejuns

Warlord of The Weejuns New in Town

I agree, Gus is very nice and personable, but he doesn't sell the hats. Brusque is too kind a word. The dark haired woman that usually waits on customers is one of the coldest, unfriendliest people I have ever met. On more than one occasion she served as a test on how badly I wanted a particular hat, I don't consider it charming. Other friends have had the same experience. We think she must be a relative (wife or sister).

jackm and Michael R. like this.
  2. KY Crusader

KY Crusader A-List Customer

I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences there. The two times I've been there I was treated well by everyone in the shop.
    Although the sales ladies did not smile a lot, and did not exactly exude charm, they were helpful when I asked for help and not in the least stand-offish. Of course, one of the first sentences that came out of my mouth the first time I visited was "I'm interested in placing a custom order."

As for Mr. Miller: I'm delighted to have had the chance for him to make me a hat, and for having had the opportunity to listen to him chat a little about his life, his career and acquaintances, and his philosophy. And I love the shoe-shine set up there: Something I don't think I've seen since I was a tot (i.e. about a half century ago).

Michael R. and Bob Roberts like this.
  3. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

This evening I have been visiting this thread and thinking about this business. I have not posted up my fedora on this thread before. My Gus is shown below:

[​IMG]

The felt color is accurate in the above pic.

[​IMG]

Best, Eric -

jackm, Mm25, Michael R. and 3 others like this.
  4. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

Now that is sharp!

Wear it proudly sir.

Best, Eric -

Michael R. and KY Crusader like this.
  5. Redfokker

Redfokker

It would be worth the trip to meet Gus. I would love to prove my worthiness for a hat like this one!

Michael R. and KY Crusader like this.
  6. Redfokker

Redfokker

Wow! Butter!

7. Michael R.

Michael R. Call Me a Cab

Boy KY , that is SWEET ! Congratulations !

Redfokker likes this.
  8. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Great hat, KY! Mr. Miller did a great job and it looks good on you.

Eric, another surprise from you! I like that one.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

9. KY Crusader

Eric: Your Batsakes is marvelous! Love the proportions; and the bash is superb! What is the felt color (looks like it might be bone or silvermist)? And how long ago did you have this one made?

Michael R. likes this.
  10. KY Crusader

Thanks, Fruno. If it weren't for you, I probably would never have gotten the word about Batsakes. :)

Michael R. likes this.
  11. KY Crusader

Thanks, Red! Yes, for me it was memorable experience.

12. KY Crusader

Thanks, Michael. Means a lot to hear this from someone with such good taste as you! :cool:

Michael R. likes this.
  13. KY Crusader

Thanks, RJ! I'm very pleased. I do love it when a plan comes together.

14. RJR

RJR

That is a beauty,love the bash.

15. Bigger Don

Bigger Don Practically Family

Ok...know I'm late to the dance here. Gus made me a hat earlier this year. Here it is, along with the pics from when I picked it up. He's a gem, a credit to hatters, to Greece from whence he came (Gus Miller is what I would call a "nom de chapeau", a name easier for all the Germans in Cincinnati to use), to Cincinnati, and to his family.

That said, I entrusted Gus to make my first bespoke this year, when I decided to join the hat tribe. It's not as tall as some would prefer, but he is an artist as well as a businessman. (He remembered @Frunobulax when I showed him a pic.) I picked the felt (steel gray), the ribbon (as red/maroon), and the bow (shark gill). WP_20160923_003.jpg WP_20161022_022.jpg
    Unfortunately when I went to pick it up, the bow was more traditional. The good news is that he was not there when I saw that, which means I got one more opportunity to talk with him when I picked it up on Saturday.
    WP_20161022_002.jpg
    Now for some pics of the homecoming celebration!
    WP_20161022_008 (2).jpg
    Liner.jpg Made for Me.jpg Shark Gill.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  16. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I need to go back down and see Mr. Miller. Haven't shot the breeze with him since summer.

Michael R. and Bigger Don like this.
  17. Bigger Don

I've been having the same thoughts. Having noticed a number of less active FL members who are also Batsakes wearers, was wondering if lunch on the square should be one of the stops for such a trip. It'll be like a "protest of love"!

Frunobulax and Michael R. like this.
  18. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

nice piece Don
    looks damn good on you as well
    that is a treasure that will one day be irreplaceable

Frunobulax and Michael R. like this.
  19. Bigger Don

I take that as a high compliment!

20. jackm

jackm One of the Regulars

I visited the store 5 or 6 years ago knowing nothing about felt fedoras. Before I even knew the lay of the land in the store I was driven out by I'm sure that same woman. While it may have saved me countless $ I now know the missed opportunity to meet Mr Miller is something I regret. Live and learn as they say.