Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BATTLE OF BRITAIN (1940) - Respecting THE FEW.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Yesterday I had planned to get some things done around the house when the afternoon mail delivered my "First Light" DVD - day over.

Blending Geoffrey Wellum present day with the BoB P/O Wellum was brilliant. I had a tear in the eye on more than one occasion.

The use of the 60's BoB movie aerial scenes was well done. Much preferable to CGI animated aircraft that might have been used these days.

Hopefully BBC America will literally "Get with the program"! We in The USA remember The Few as well!

John

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday I had planned to get some things done around the house when the afternoon mail delivered my "First Light" DVD - day over.

Blending Geoffrey Wellum present day with the BoB P/O Wellum was brilliant. I had a tear in the eye on more than one occasion.

The use of the 60's BoB movie aerial scenes was well done. Much preferable to CGI animated aircraft that might have been used these days.

Hopefully BBC America will literally "Get with the program"! We in The USA remember The Few as well!

John

It is a magnificent adaptation and an apt tribute to The Few.

I too found it particularly moving, although Geoff was the youngest member of The Few, one of my relatives was not terribly much older than Geoff when he was thrown into the Battle of Britain. It gave me a small inkling of what it must have been like for him at a personal level.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation on the best all around book covering the Hawker Hurricane. Design history, variants, flight characteristics, and pilot opinions. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

John

mrbieler

New in Town
Hurricane, An Illustrated History by Philip Birtles is decent. I don't know about "best", but it's good.

For a Battle of Britain viewing from the ground, we enjoy watching Danger UXB every so often. Good series.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Those that cover technical aspects and worthwhile:

The pilot's notes for the various marques
Haynes' recently released manual on the Hurri
Melvyn Hiscock's book which covers a couple of restorations is good

For broader operational history:

Take your pick, there's dozens of books on the subject but Mason's tome from the 80s is still a good one, as is Peter Jacobs' work from the 90s. Slightly lighter weight but always nicely presented and researched are Osprey's aircraft of the aces series which has 2 books covering the Hurri's service, and both are very good.

Steven180

One of the Regulars
September 15 1940 - 2011. Battle of Britain Day.
I salute all the RAF pilots who fought and died during that summer and fall. Thank you.

Here, here Sir.

And thanks to all for all the insightful information provided here. Have learned much, and discovered more to explore.

M.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Great news!
But it's a tough act to follow. The 1968 version was - and still is - with a few minor things like the model Stukas - a great movie.

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Just want to share this rather nice drawing of a BoB Hurricane - flown by Albert Gerald Lewis/85 Squadron - among others.
310778_10150352302117412_30643512411_8000354_1258800645_n.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It's a goodie of a profile Spitty, Dickie Lee flew her as well ;)

Here's one for the boys (and girls) here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cx6V0QAVEU

This was produced for the IWM and features real aircraft - yes that's right, REAL aircraft and not bloody CGI. Although not Mk I Spits (rather OFMC's Mk IX MH434) and a Buchon rather than a Daimler 109 at least they move like real aircraft should. Watch this and then watch the trailer for Red Tails and you'll see what I mean ;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
...and - as far as I remember - it was in this same airplane, Dickie Lee went MIA over the North Sea, chasing three EA's with all his ammo spent.

That's the one Soren. Once again the tragic loss of a talented young man. Dickie was an amazingly proficient pilot. He even flew a Hurri through one of the hangars at (IIRC) Hendon. It was apparently captured on film but I haven't been able to track it down yet.

And Story,

Very, very sad but unfortunately time marches on. The Polish contribution to the Battle was huge and they will never be forgotten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch